Fluorescent Penetrant Inspection Specifications Aerospace

jameslaz

Involved In Discussions
Hi, I am hopping someone can answer a simple question. I have a new job and don’t have all the resources I use to. I am looking for a FPI specification for new manufacture aerospace parts. I am making a very simple filter housing for an APU and need to add a note on the print to (FPI per “FPI Spec”, no cracks aloud). I can’t think of the specification I need. The material is 6061-T Aluminum and it is a machined part.

Thanks for any help,
James

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
A

andygr

ASTM E1417?
You then write the internal procedure covering the detail as they apply to your product as in type, class and inspection criteria ect.
If you are producing a part for a specific airframer then it might be the case that you would have to work to their spec (ie Boeing, Cessna ect)
:2cents:

P

Phiobi

ASTM E1417?
You then write the internal procedure covering the detail as they apply to your product as in type, class and inspection criteria ect.
If you are producing a part for a specific airframer then it might be the case that you would have to work to their spec (ie Boeing, Cessna ect)
:2cents:
ASTM E1417 will give you the method not the acceptance. The key here is as you say who the client will be. An example would be Boeing BAC5423 "Penetrant Methods of Inspection"

Many things to think of here though if nothing else, most aerospace companies now require NADCAP approval for a special process like this!!

R

Randy Stewart

Just a note here.

First it is now ASTM E-1417-05e1. I would also call out the required/desired Type, Level and Method to be used. Default 1, 2, A.
You can set the acceptance as "No Relevant Indications Allowed" (this is what we default to when no criterial is called out). If you call out "No Cracks" you are being very specific about an inspectors findings.
Is there any welding done? What about laps, seams, inclusions, etc.

The key here is as you say who the client will be.
I agree here. Your final customer may not accept a cert for say Rolls Royce or Bell Helicoptor penetrant inspection (EIS & BPS).

One more item to think about. Some Primes require a Frozen Process to be developed. This may require an approved/certified Level 3 to develop the technique. :2cents:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Fluorescent Lamp Load Test for Switch in IEC 60669-1 Standard General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
K X-Ray Fluorescent (XRF) Test - Definition Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 6
S Zyglo Fluorescent Dye for Leak Testing - Sloooooow acting - Seeking advice Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
A Where I can get MSDS for Penetrant, Cleaner, and Developer Taseto Aerosol? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 2
D ASTM E165 Liquid Penetrant Equivalent Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 6
S Penetrant Inspection, Tam Panel, Film Replicant Manufacturing and Related Processes 11
S Penetrant, Type I, Method A - ASTM-E1417 (Content of oil/grease in cleaning water) Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
B NDT (Dye Penetrant Test) Requirement for Frame 5 Fuel Nozzle AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
S About Penetrant Testing Materials - The Latest Technology (2009) Design and Development of Products and Processes 0
R Penetrant Inspection NADCAP AC7114 Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 6
J Magnetic or penetrant Flawdetection: Requirements of identification w/ letter M or P AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
F Anyone have any experience setting up a Liquid Penetrant Test program? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
C OEE and In-process Inspection Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
R AS9100 - 8.4.2 - Receiving Inspection Requirements AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
I Mother bobbin final inspection criteria Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
Marc Visual Inspection - Color Vision Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 15
G Inspection Logs - Asked to remove an Inspection Sheet ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Skooma Receiving Inspection - Boss trying to save money AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 7
T Sample of 1st Article Inspection Report wanted APQP and PPAP 3
T Nonconforming product at customer detected by a routine inspection by field service Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
A Definition of customer in ITP (Inspection & Test Plan) Contract Review Process 3
T Correct MSA study for an automated camera system which makes attribute inspection Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
A DCMA inspection for a drop-shipment AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
S QUALITY OBJECTIVEs for third party garments factory inspection ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
D Lean and Elimination of QC Inspection Points in a New factory Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 9
F FDA-registration and inspection cost 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
I Receiving Inspection Requirement in IATF IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
R Supplier related drawings and verification of process requirements - Source Inspection AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
D AS9100 Inspection records - Is there a requirement to have gauge ID and calibration status AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
D Good Acceptance Activity/Inspection flowchart for reference - Wanted Please Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 2
K Inspection Certificate EN 10204 2.1 - Distribution company Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
S Improving Quality inspection gate in one piece flow manufacturing process Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
M Loss of a Quality Record - FDA Inspection Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 4
S Need Assistance in Visual Inspection - Tiny electronic components AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 11
S. Moore Is an Annual Layout Inspection the same as an Annual Re-validation? Internal Auditing 1
D Incoming (Receiving) Inspection - General form for incoming part inspection Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 17
K First Article Inspection (FAI) - Equipment used - Dimensions vs. Go/No-Go ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
M Informational USFDA Draft Guidance – Review and Update of Device Establishment Inspection Processes and Standards Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
S Inspection/sampling economics Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
C Is a First Article Inspection (FAI) Procedure required by ISO 13485? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
T EN 10204 3.1 Inspection Certificate - Machine Shop Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
A Doubt on multiple inspection carrying out for same balloon number during Stage Inspection and Final Inspection? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
M 3rd Party Sorting and Inspection Company Certification Service Industry Specific Topics 4
D FDA QSR task checklist based on inspection citations 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
John Predmore What size pinhole can be reliably detected using visual inspection? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
F Holes position inspection - Calculation of centre distance and plug sizes of a gauge Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
V Inspection with 3D Scanning - Reference Data Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
L Inspection Plan for Microscope Objective Lens Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
N Process Flow diagram steps for inspection and packaging APQP and PPAP 4
S Poka Yoke Inspection Retaining Ring (C-Clip) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4