Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

Fluorescent Penetrant Inspection Specifications Aerospace

jameslaz

Involved In Discussions
Hi, I am hopping someone can answer a simple question. I have a new job and don’t have all the resources I use to. I am looking for a FPI specification for new manufacture aerospace parts. I am making a very simple filter housing for an APU and need to add a note on the print to (FPI per “FPI Spec”, no cracks aloud). I can’t think of the specification I need. The material is 6061-T Aluminum and it is a machined part.

Thanks for any help,
James

A

andygr

ASTM E1417?
You then write the internal procedure covering the detail as they apply to your product as in type, class and inspection criteria ect.
If you are producing a part for a specific airframer then it might be the case that you would have to work to their spec (ie Boeing, Cessna ect)
:2cents:

P

Phiobi

ASTM E1417?
You then write the internal procedure covering the detail as they apply to your product as in type, class and inspection criteria ect.
If you are producing a part for a specific airframer then it might be the case that you would have to work to their spec (ie Boeing, Cessna ect)
:2cents:
ASTM E1417 will give you the method not the acceptance. The key here is as you say who the client will be. An example would be Boeing BAC5423 "Penetrant Methods of Inspection"

Many things to think of here though if nothing else, most aerospace companies now require NADCAP approval for a special process like this!!

R

Randy Stewart

Just a note here.

First it is now ASTM E-1417-05e1. I would also call out the required/desired Type, Level and Method to be used. Default 1, 2, A.
You can set the acceptance as "No Relevant Indications Allowed" (this is what we default to when no criterial is called out). If you call out "No Cracks" you are being very specific about an inspectors findings.
Is there any welding done? What about laps, seams, inclusions, etc.

The key here is as you say who the client will be.
I agree here. Your final customer may not accept a cert for say Rolls Royce or Bell Helicoptor penetrant inspection (EIS & BPS).

One more item to think about. Some Primes require a Frozen Process to be developed. This may require an approved/certified Level 3 to develop the technique. :2cents:

Top Bottom