FMEA 3rd edition - FMEA is required only for high risk operations?

A

Andrews

#1
FMEA 2nd edition - under the "Development of process FMEA" it has been stated that a process FMEA should begin with a flowchart/resk assessment of the general process and in addition Appendix C says FMEA is required only for high risk operation but this statement has been removed from the third edition FMEA. Therefore are we required to look at the existing FMEA and conduct FMEA for medium and low risk operations.
 
Elsmar Forum Sponsor
M

M Greenaway

#2
I thought FMEA was conducted on the product design and then on the process design, didnt think it went down to seperate FMEA's for seperate operations, unless by operations we mean processes.

Also how would one determine the risk without conducting an FMEA in the first place ??

Yours

MG

Confused
 
A

Andrews

#3
I meant processes in the above query? My question was whether FMEA has to be done for all processes required for the product or only the high risk processes like palting , heat treatment that have no. of failures?
 
O

Obi-Wan

#4
Having spoken with one of the contributors to SAE J1739 (the parent to Third edition), the "high risk" reference was removed because it was so subjective. The intent is that there is an FMEA for each process/operation. For those that are very generic (receiving operations or packaging might be an examples) "generic" FMEAs can be referenced, reviewed for the new product and revised as required as a time/effort saver.
 
A

Al Dyer

#5
OBI,

Were close but I differ in that a FMEA is a living document of the entire process to provide a part/product to the customer.

The FMEA starts with ordering and receiving raw material, processing, and final shipment of that product. I see no need for seperate FMEA's for each individual step in the process. I guess that would be to me just more of a document control aspect.:)
 

brutas

Involved - Posts
#6
Andrews said:
FMEA 2nd edition - under the "Development of process FMEA" it has been stated that a process FMEA should begin with a flowchart/resk assessment of the general process and in addition Appendix C says FMEA is required only for high risk operation but this statement has been removed from the third edition FMEA. Therefore are we required to look at the existing FMEA and conduct FMEA for medium and low risk operations.
I don't know for which second edition the question is about (and the posting is too old), but there is a JEDEC publication Potential Failure Mode and Effects
Analysis (FMEA):
http://www.jedec.org/download/search/jep131a.pdf

In the previous revision (JEP131, February 1998) flowchart/risk assessment of the process steps was recommended and FMEA was required only for high risk operations.
In the new revision this requirement was removed and I think this is right decision - risk assessment cannot be made before to make the FMEA.

What is your oppinion? One of our suppliers and one of our customers continues to make risk assessments of the process steps before FMEA form to be filled in. And only the operations with "Higher risks" are included in the FMEA...
 

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
#7
brutas said:
I don't know for which second edition the question is about (and the posting is too old), but there is a JEDEC publication Potential Failure Mode and Effects
Analysis (FMEA):
http://www.jedec.org/download/search/jep131a.pdf

In the previous revision (JEP131, February 1998) flowchart/risk assessment of the process steps was recommended and FMEA was required only for high risk operations.
In the new revision this requirement was removed and I think this is right decision - risk assessment cannot be made before to make the FMEA.

What is your oppinion? One of our suppliers and one of our customers continues to make risk assessments of the process steps before FMEA form to be filled in. And only the operations with "Higher risks" are included in the FMEA...
Don't confuse the process with the output. FMEA is not a document, it's a process, and the document is the output of the process. So when "risk assessments" such as those you refer to are being done, that is FMEA, and the ensuing decision involves only which aspects get documented.
 

brutas

Involved - Posts
#8
Jim Wynne said:
Don't confuse the process with the output. FMEA is not a document, it's a process, and the document is the output of the process. So when "risk assessments" such as those you refer to are being done, that is FMEA, and the ensuing decision involves only which aspects get documented.
My question is:
Why this risk assessment was removed in the JEDEC FMEA publication last edition? Is it because it was realized that is not relevant and makes non sense?

And I am sure that our supplier and our customer do NOT use the FMEA process for this risk assessment. They just make (like the previous Jedec version recommends) list of all process steps and for every step they mark "low" "medium" and "high risk" (I don't know how they decide for this) and only the items marked with "high risk" are considered further in the FMEA process... :confused:
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Design FMEA Detection Scoring - FMEA 3rd edition manual FMEA and Control Plans 7
G FMEA 3rd edition vs 4th edition - What are the main changes? FMEA and Control Plans 2
L PFMEA (Process FMEA) issue about lower RPN - AIAG 3rd edition page 55 FMEA and Control Plans 13
J FMEA Evaluation of "User Risk" - Wording FMEA 3rd party advisors ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
J Changes to AIAG's FMEA manual to happen in the 3rd quarter of 2007 FMEA and Control Plans 10
S PFMEA Help - Page 39 in the 3rd Ed. of the FMEA Manual FMEA and Control Plans 3
J FMEA Handbook 2019 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
J Process FMEA Template with examples - Cold and Hot Forged components FMEA and Control Plans 4
B Why the Greek god Hephaestus should have done a design FMEA (DFMEA) on his giant robot APQP and PPAP 1
P Design FMEA - Detection Rating criteria ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
J Which OEM or customers are now requiring the new AIAG/VDA FMEA format? FMEA and Control Plans 0
C AIAG/VDA FMEA - Is the new better? FMEA and Control Plans 0
I Does anybody use Detection in medical device Design FMEA? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 18
P VDA AIAG FMEA - Slides for Quality Audience FMEA and Control Plans 4
P Design FMEA for Industrial Machinery FMEA and Control Plans 3
B AIAG/VDA’s FMEA Manual Is a Major Advance (my take on this subject) FMEA and Control Plans 2
B AIAG-VDA FMEA - When the new format will be required FMEA and Control Plans 5
D Where does "as far as possible" stop? FMEA - EN 14971 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 29
R What are the changes in 5th Edition of FMEA manual? FMEA and Control Plans 6
M Risk and Corrective actions - Currently no FMEA's - Car systems Risk Management Principles and Generic Guidelines 8
C FMEA Process assessment In the Draft for the AIAG/VDA FMEA Manual is gone FMEA and Control Plans 0
Jimmy123 Example of a P-Diagram for Process FMEA - Uncontrollable noises FMEA and Control Plans 39
Jimmy123 FMEA - Preventive vs Detection Control FMEA and Control Plans 7
M MANUAL FMEA VDA VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 1
L Which one is more important for FMEA CC or SC, FMEA and Control Plans 6
G FMEA financial benefits APQP and PPAP 2
M Foundation FMEA: what is it? FMEA and Control Plans 15
eule del ayre Merging FMEA and Quality Control Process Flow FMEA and Control Plans 0
K AIAG/VDA FMEA & Process Control Plans FMEA and Control Plans 0
D FMEA-MSR in the AIAG-VDA Aligned Handbook - What is it? FMEA and Control Plans 4
bobdoering Catching up on the new FMEA book! Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 2
bobdoering AIAG VDA FMEA Handbook - 2019 - something familiar about this.... FMEA and Control Plans 37
S New AIAG FMEA Process - How to complete the new format FMEA and Control Plans 32
C FMEA - Multiple function failures considerations FMEA and Control Plans 3
J New FMEA aproach - formular Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
B Confusion on the new FMEA guidebook - Are we supposed to replace our FMEAs? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
Z Using FMEA for Knowledge Management FMEA and Control Plans 6
D Link between FMEA, flow chart and control plan FMEA and Control Plans 10
K PFMEA (Process FMEA) - Can be common for 3000 products? FMEA and Control Plans 2
R The difference b/w FMEA & Risk analysis as per iso 14971 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 8
Jimmy123 ISO 31000 vs FMEA FMEA and Control Plans 1
Jimmy123 What is a Reverse FMEA? FMEA and Control Plans 6
I What does "Class" mean in an FMEA? FMEA and Control Plans 16
M FMEA/DCP Structure and Quantity - Similar Parts and Processes FMEA and Control Plans 7
Marc Definition DFMEA (Design FMEA) - Definition Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 0
D Where does FMEA fit in your ISO 14971 Risk Management process? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 13
JT3M Looking for FMEA plastic injection molding FMEA and Control Plans 8
Ashok sunder Is it possible to reduce FMEA Occurrence and Detection Ranking after corrective action taken for customer complaints? FMEA and Control Plans 6
D Design FMEA for a component - Should I make the following assumptions? FMEA and Control Plans 7
N In-Process Production Test Stations in PFMEA (Process FMEA) FMEA and Control Plans 18

Similar threads

Top Bottom