Definition FMEA and PPAP - Definitions of FMEA and PPAP

Good Morning,

I have recently landed a job as a quality engineer and am unfamiliar with the terms ppap and fmea. Could you please tell me what these abbreviations stand for?

Thanks, Christine

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
J

Jim Biz

Christine - welcome to the group!

FMEA - Failure mode effect analysis
PPAP - Production Part Approval Process

In order to keep this short - Marc has been kind enough to post excellent information on these and other subjects in the FTP section of the site.

Because it appears you have just landed in the quality world - don't hesitate to ask for help/info - whatever (were all in this together). You may even decide to register to the forums when ya get time.

As a second thought .... Hmmm what company would hire a Quality Engineer that dosen't know what FMEA Means ???? (GRIN)

Regards
Jim

[This message has been edited by Jim Biz (edited 08 June 2000).]

barb butrym

Quite Involved in Discussions
JIm......my thought exactly..... :)

Christine...welcome. And feel free to join in. It actually helps for newbees to ask the questions that have been stale in the back of our minds for so long. Moves teh cob webs and lets us look at the reasoning we have accepted as fact...and may need new eyes.

Have just started looking at process capability again...have been away from that sort of stuff, and boy am I digging deep.

[This message has been edited by barb butrym (edited 09 June 2000).]

L

Laura M

C'mon - we all started somewhere....I didn't know out of college....are the universities teaching the concept yet?

Laura

J

Jim Biz

Laura don't be too hard on us for inserting a bit o fun ... it's the end of a long week .....Yep - If I remember correctly ... one of the branches of "California State University" www.csudh.edu has a course offered online MS in Quality management...

In our area (midwest) the local community college has a fairly good collection of specific industry applications for Quality subjects..

Christine - if I might suggest a good overall reference is Jurans Quality Handbook - don't by any means read it all in one sitting (joke- Joke) but it would give you all the basic information you would need to get any program started... there are many other specific subject books out there .. but Juran's at least covers all subjects terms uses etc...

Regards
Jim

[This message has been edited by Jim Biz (edited 09 June 2000).]

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Frequently asked PPAP, FMEA, SPC, MSA, APQP & 7QC Tools questions for Interviews Career and Occupation Discussions 1
V Latest revisions of Core Tools Manuals from the AIAG (APQP, PPAP, FMEA, SPC and MSA) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
V Mandatory to send to the Customers FMEA in a PPAP level 3 - Doubt IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 36
O Bulk Material PPAP - Design Matrix instead of a normal Design, Production FMEA APQP and PPAP 3
smryan PPAP and FMEA Pronunciations - How do you say....? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 22
Stijloor Latest AIAG PPAP and FMEA Errata Sheet APQP and PPAP 7
S Are the AIAG document (FMEA, PPAP, SPC, MSA, APQP) guidelines or requirements FMEA and Control Plans 6
P Bulk Materials PPAP / FMEA - Appendix F of the PPAP manual APQP and PPAP 1
M Software to Handle All "Quality" Processes? APQP, Control Plan, FMEA, MSA, PPAP, etc. Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 1
J FMEA as a Confidential Document - PPAP Level 3 - Can the FMEA be hidden? FMEA and Control Plans 32
I Changes in APQP, MSA, PPAP, FMEA Requirements APQP and PPAP 5
C APQP, PPAP, FMEA, SPC Procedures? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
S FMEA - Reject a PPAP because the RPN number is not shown? QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 6
C Annual PPAP Re-Validation Requirements? CP/PF/FMEA? Everything? APQP and PPAP 10
A Can FMEA's and CP's be process specific according to the PPAP handbook? APQP and PPAP 5
C Who offers QS9000 training (in Spanish) on topics like PPAP, FMEA, etc QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 2
D QS9000 third edition - Do APQP, FMEA and PPAP have any significant changes QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 7
D Capability, FMEA and PPAP - 4.9.2 - The meaning of "high degree of capability" Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
P Design FMEA - Detection Rating criteria ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
J Which OEM or customers are now requiring the new AIAG/VDA FMEA format? FMEA and Control Plans 0
C AIAG/VDA FMEA - Is the new better? FMEA and Control Plans 0
I Does anybody use Detection in medical device Design FMEA? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 18
P VDA AIAG FMEA - Slides for Quality Audience FMEA and Control Plans 4
P Design FMEA for Industrial Machinery FMEA and Control Plans 3
B AIAG/VDA’s FMEA Manual Is a Major Advance (my take on this subject) FMEA and Control Plans 2
B AIAG-VDA FMEA - When the new format will be required FMEA and Control Plans 5
D Where does "as far as possible" stop? FMEA - EN 14971 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 24
R What are the changes in 5th Edition of FMEA manual? FMEA and Control Plans 6
M Risk and Corrective actions - Currently no FMEA's - Car systems Risk Management Principles and Generic Guidelines 8
C FMEA Process assessment In the Draft for the AIAG/VDA FMEA Manual is gone FMEA and Control Plans 0
Jimmy123 Example of a P-Diagram for Process FMEA - Uncontrollable noises FMEA and Control Plans 38
Jimmy123 FMEA - Preventive vs Detection Control FMEA and Control Plans 7
M MANUAL FMEA VDA VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 1
L Which one is more important for FMEA CC or SC, FMEA and Control Plans 6
G FMEA financial benefits APQP and PPAP 2
M Foundation FMEA: what is it? FMEA and Control Plans 15
eule del ayre Merging FMEA and Quality Control Process Flow FMEA and Control Plans 0
K AIAG/VDA FMEA & Process Control Plans FMEA and Control Plans 0
D FMEA-MSR in the AIAG-VDA Aligned Handbook - What is it? FMEA and Control Plans 4
bobdoering Catching up on the new FMEA book! Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 2
bobdoering AIAG VDA FMEA Handbook - 2019 - something familiar about this.... FMEA and Control Plans 37
S New AIAG FMEA Process - How to complete the new format FMEA and Control Plans 30
C FMEA - Multiple function failures considerations FMEA and Control Plans 3
J New FMEA aproach - formular Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
B Confusion on the new FMEA guidebook - Are we supposed to replace our FMEAs? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
Z Using FMEA for Knowledge Management FMEA and Control Plans 6
D Link between FMEA, flow chart and control plan FMEA and Control Plans 10
K PFMEA (Process FMEA) - Can be common for 3000 products? FMEA and Control Plans 2
R The difference b/w FMEA & Risk analysis as per iso 14971 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 8
Jimmy123 ISO 31000 vs FMEA FMEA and Control Plans 1