FMEA - Calculating RPN = S*O*D

L

lifemiracle007

I have just started learning about FMEA and i came across few problems while understanding it, so could Anyone help me to undestand it in better way, my 1st problem is when we calculate RPN= S*O*D, what are the basis of selecting the numbers for S*O*D , is every company follow a different set of rule, especially for *O*D and doest it change for D and P fmea, can you give me a link where i can understand with an example, i am student just trying to learn it by the help of people like you and through internet, PLEASE do help me

THANKYOU

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: FMEA

I have just started learning about FMEA and i came across few problems while understanding it, so could Anyone help me to undestand it in better way, my 1st problem is when we calculate RPN= S*O*D, what are the basis of selecting the numbers for S*O*D , is every company follow a different set of rule, especially for *O*D and doest it change for D and P fmea, can you give me a link where i can understand with an example, i am student just trying to learn it by the help of people like you and through internet, PLEASE do help me

THANKYOU

lifemiracle007,

The FMEA risk assessment tables for Severity, Occurrence (frequency) and Detectability may be published in standards specified by the customer or the may be specified by the customer leading the design.

Chief Designers also issue and maintain such tables.

Here is a link to the publication used by the automotive industry (your library may have a copy available).

These tables are not absolute determinants of risk. They merely allow potential risks to be compared on the same basis so the highest adverse risks can be reduced or eliminated by preventive actions on the organization's process-based management system.

John

Marcelo

Inactive Registered Visitor
The basis for selecting the numbers can vary: probability estimates, reliability data, past experience, engineering judgement, etc.

Top Bottom