FMEA column column ''therblig motion'' for a given potential failure

Silex7

Involved In Discussions
Hello Everyone!

I am in the process of filling a FMEA model assigned by my company. I stopped by a column says ''therblig motion'' for a given potential failure.

I just wondering what does a therblig motion should represent for a given failure mode?

Thank you in advance

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
As to what a therblig motion is, see Therblig in Wikipedia.

Is this form unique to your company? I have never seen such a column in any FMEA templates I have encountered.

Silex7

Involved In Discussions
Yes, I think it's not stated in the regular FMEA standard model. I have read about it on wikipedia, but it seems describing something specific.
I was jus wondering if anyone have heard something similar.

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Staff member
Super Moderator
Wow. I haven't used that stuff since college in the 80's.
I have no idea why it would be on an FMEA unless the FMEA is broken down unto every little motion to complete a task.... that would be a super cumbersome FMEA, like doing a full FMEA for picking up a pen and signing your name.
Maybe the person that created the FMEA template based it on a Time/Motion study template and just didn't delete that column?

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
wow. just wow. do you know who created the form and what they were thinking?

reynald

Quite Involved in Discussions
Well if the column's sequence is like
Step# | Step | Therblig Motion | Failure Mode...
then I think there might be a sense to it but only for very specific purposes.
Like when motion accuracy is success critical. It means the operation is very minute and detailed though. Like eye-surgery level of necessary precision.

Silex7

Involved In Discussions
.. unless the FMEA is broken down unto every little motion to complete a task.... that would be a super cumbersome FMEA, like doing a full FMEA for picking up a pen and signing your name.
Maybe the person that created the FMEA template based it on a Time/Motion study template and just didn't delete that column?
Yes ScottK , that's exactly what it is, they are making a very lengthy and detailed description on FMEA for every single step in the process.
The column is however required to be filled-in, but I don't think it was left for the creator. this is strange and very exhaustive.:bonk:

Silex7

Involved In Discussions
Well if the column's sequence is like
Step# | Step | Therblig Motion | Failure Mode...
then I think there might be a sense to it but only for very specific purposes.
Like when motion accuracy is success critical. It means the operation is very minute and detailed though. Like eye-surgery level of necessary precision.
Yes, this what I came through during this discussion here, I guess they want me to describe every step with its related motion, but I think it's useless and more exhaustive.

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Staff member
Super Moderator
I would definitely push back against the need for such detail. Is this for a customer or for internal use?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T PFMEA (Process FMEA) Recommended Actions Column FMEA and Control Plans 10
Q FMEA Cost Column added to Associate and Prioritize Risks according to Cost FMEA and Control Plans 10
D FMEA and Control Plan Characteristics Column - Product / Process Information FMEA and Control Plans 2
T Recommended Action(s) Column - Process FMEA FMEA and Control Plans 17
J Poka-Yoke in Process FMEA (PFMEA) - Which column? FMEA and Control Plans 10
A FMEA recommended actions column - What to do after actions are complete? FMEA and Control Plans 15
J FMEA Handbook 2019 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
J Process FMEA Template with examples - Cold and Hot Forged components FMEA and Control Plans 4
B Why the Greek god Hephaestus should have done a design FMEA (DFMEA) on his giant robot APQP and PPAP 1
P Design FMEA - Detection Rating criteria ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
J Which OEM or customers are now requiring the new AIAG/VDA FMEA format? FMEA and Control Plans 0
C AIAG/VDA FMEA - Is the new better? FMEA and Control Plans 0
I Does anybody use Detection in medical device Design FMEA? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 18
P VDA AIAG FMEA - Slides for Quality Audience FMEA and Control Plans 4
P Design FMEA for Industrial Machinery FMEA and Control Plans 3
B AIAG/VDA’s FMEA Manual Is a Major Advance (my take on this subject) FMEA and Control Plans 2
B AIAG-VDA FMEA - When the new format will be required FMEA and Control Plans 5
D Where does "as far as possible" stop? FMEA - EN 14971 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 29
R What are the changes in 5th Edition of FMEA manual? FMEA and Control Plans 6
M Risk and Corrective actions - Currently no FMEA's - Car systems Risk Management Principles and Generic Guidelines 8
C FMEA Process assessment In the Draft for the AIAG/VDA FMEA Manual is gone FMEA and Control Plans 0
Jimmy123 Example of a P-Diagram for Process FMEA - Uncontrollable noises FMEA and Control Plans 39
Jimmy123 FMEA - Preventive vs Detection Control FMEA and Control Plans 7
M MANUAL FMEA VDA VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 1
L Which one is more important for FMEA CC or SC, FMEA and Control Plans 6
G FMEA financial benefits APQP and PPAP 2
M Foundation FMEA: what is it? FMEA and Control Plans 15
eule del ayre Merging FMEA and Quality Control Process Flow FMEA and Control Plans 0
K AIAG/VDA FMEA & Process Control Plans FMEA and Control Plans 0
D FMEA-MSR in the AIAG-VDA Aligned Handbook - What is it? FMEA and Control Plans 4
bobdoering Catching up on the new FMEA book! Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 2
bobdoering AIAG VDA FMEA Handbook - 2019 - something familiar about this.... FMEA and Control Plans 37
S New AIAG FMEA Process - How to complete the new format FMEA and Control Plans 32
C FMEA - Multiple function failures considerations FMEA and Control Plans 3
J New FMEA aproach - formular Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
B Confusion on the new FMEA guidebook - Are we supposed to replace our FMEAs? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
Z Using FMEA for Knowledge Management FMEA and Control Plans 6
D Link between FMEA, flow chart and control plan FMEA and Control Plans 10
K PFMEA (Process FMEA) - Can be common for 3000 products? FMEA and Control Plans 2
R The difference b/w FMEA & Risk analysis as per iso 14971 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 8
Jimmy123 ISO 31000 vs FMEA FMEA and Control Plans 1
Jimmy123 What is a Reverse FMEA? FMEA and Control Plans 6
I What does "Class" mean in an FMEA? FMEA and Control Plans 16
M FMEA/DCP Structure and Quantity - Similar Parts and Processes FMEA and Control Plans 7
Marc Definition DFMEA (Design FMEA) - Definition Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 0
D Where does FMEA fit in your ISO 14971 Risk Management process? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 13
JT3M Looking for FMEA plastic injection molding FMEA and Control Plans 8
Ashok sunder Is it possible to reduce FMEA Occurrence and Detection Ranking after corrective action taken for customer complaints? FMEA and Control Plans 6
D Design FMEA for a component - Should I make the following assumptions? FMEA and Control Plans 7
N In-Process Production Test Stations in PFMEA (Process FMEA) FMEA and Control Plans 18