FMEA column column ''therblig motion'' for a given potential failure

Silex7

Involved In Discussions
Hello Everyone!

I am in the process of filling a FMEA model assigned by my company. I stopped by a column says ''therblig motion'' for a given potential failure.

I just wondering what does a therblig motion should represent for a given failure mode?

Thank you in advance

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
As to what a therblig motion is, see Therblig in Wikipedia.

Is this form unique to your company? I have never seen such a column in any FMEA templates I have encountered.

Silex7

Involved In Discussions
Yes, I think it's not stated in the regular FMEA standard model. I have read about it on wikipedia, but it seems describing something specific.
I was jus wondering if anyone have heard something similar.

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator
Wow. I haven't used that stuff since college in the 80's.
I have no idea why it would be on an FMEA unless the FMEA is broken down unto every little motion to complete a task.... that would be a super cumbersome FMEA, like doing a full FMEA for picking up a pen and signing your name.
Maybe the person that created the FMEA template based it on a Time/Motion study template and just didn't delete that column?

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
wow. just wow. do you know who created the form and what they were thinking?

reynald

Quite Involved in Discussions
Well if the column's sequence is like
Step# | Step | Therblig Motion | Failure Mode...
then I think there might be a sense to it but only for very specific purposes.
Like when motion accuracy is success critical. It means the operation is very minute and detailed though. Like eye-surgery level of necessary precision.

Silex7

Involved In Discussions
.. unless the FMEA is broken down unto every little motion to complete a task.... that would be a super cumbersome FMEA, like doing a full FMEA for picking up a pen and signing your name.
Maybe the person that created the FMEA template based it on a Time/Motion study template and just didn't delete that column?

Yes ScottK , that's exactly what it is, they are making a very lengthy and detailed description on FMEA for every single step in the process.
The column is however required to be filled-in, but I don't think it was left for the creator. this is strange and very exhaustive.:bonk:

Silex7

Involved In Discussions
Well if the column's sequence is like
Step# | Step | Therblig Motion | Failure Mode...
then I think there might be a sense to it but only for very specific purposes.
Like when motion accuracy is success critical. It means the operation is very minute and detailed though. Like eye-surgery level of necessary precision.

Yes, this what I came through during this discussion here, I guess they want me to describe every step with its related motion, but I think it's useless and more exhaustive.

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator
I would definitely push back against the need for such detail. Is this for a customer or for internal use?

Top Bottom