SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

FMEA Cost Column added to Associate and Prioritize Risks according to Cost

Q

qualityboi

Does anyone have an example of FMEA they could share, where a cost column has been addded to associate and prioritize risks according to cost? Just wondering...:)

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
Re: FMEA Cost Column

Does anyone have an example of FMEA they could share, where a cost column has been addded to associate and prioritize risks according to cost? Just wondering...:)
Qualityboi,

I have never seen one, but I think that this could work in terms of prioritizing actions to help lower:
Severity
Severity x Occurrence
Remaining RPN's

I am a little hesitant to prioritize in terms of money associated with potential risks especially when regulatory and statutory issues are involved. There could be instances where they may possibly not rank high money-wise, but could potentially put a company out of business.

It is an interesting concept though and I would like to see what my Fellow Covers think.

Stijloor.

Q

qualityboi

I was rolling the idea around in my head as a compliment to cost of poor quality. Our company is going through cost reductions as a result of the poor U.S. economy, being able to put a cost to risks would help in reviewing which risks would have the most monetary value, correlating it to RPN would be interesting.

As far as regulatory and safety risks, not too concerned in our company as our occurences are at zero or 1 because of the process infrastructure already put in place to mitigate has really reduced occurrence and increased detection.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
I always did advocate including cost
  • consequence of failure mode
  • to implement a "mistake proof" preventative
  • to sort nonconforming goods before shipment
  • of wasted material and labor in building unusable goods
  • of recall if bad goods should escape to customers or general public
  • of repairs and "make goods"
  • of canceled contracts
  • etc.
as part of FMEA (Failure Mode and Effects Analysis)

Of course, I agree Life, Health, Safety issues trump cost, but every failure or nonconformance is NOT life, health, safety related.

Ajit Basrur

Staff member
Admin
Good question Jim but risks can not be prioritized based on cost. Stijloor has pointed the same thing that I was thinking of :)

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Good question Jim but risks can not be prioritized based on cost. Stijloor has pointed the same thing that I was thinking of :)
Risks can be prioritized based on cost, although the cost numbers might not be completely accurate. To the OP's question though, cost is but one of the factors that enter into risk analysis, as you and Stijloor have pointed out. If you account for cost in the FMEA process, the RPN numbers should reflect the cost component, so there should be no need to create a separate column on the form. In fact, creating a new column might result in distraction. Use Pareto analysis as part of the FMEA process to address relative costs.

H

Howard Lee

I had always thought of cost as a factor of severity. When we are asking, "How bad will it be if it happens?", cost is a factor.

If the battery in my car dies or the transmission fails, my car will not go (=FAILURE). The severity of the two conditions are at opposite ends of the spectrum due to "cost to make the car go again". Maybe I'm missing something.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
I had always thought of cost as a factor of severity. When we are asking, "How bad will it be if it happens?", cost is a factor.
Exactly. :agree1: Sometimes it's relatively easy to quantify costs associated with product failures, such as when some manufacturing operation goes awry and rework or scrap is involved. It gets more dicey when you're dealing with things like customer satisfaction, though, and what it might cost in the long run if customers aren't happy. Cost is a factor in FMEA risk evaluation, but not the only factor, and some risks can't be objectively quantified. This means that FMEA RPNs (Risk Priority Numbers) will often include a subjective component, which is why RPNs should be considered as relative values.

Q

qualityboi

I am wanting to break out costs so we can more easily determine how much it would cost to fix the potential risks. Its more easily digested by upper management when our preventive and corrective actions are in terms of dollars.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Looking for Control Plan and FMEA Stamping process FMEA and Control Plans 2
OpExPro AIAG VDA FMEA Rating Tables FMEA and Control Plans 5
OpExPro The note at the bottom of DFMEA occurrence tables in AIAG VDA FMEA FMEA and Control Plans 0
Q FMEA and Risk assessment in Microsoft Access FMEA and Control Plans 6
W FMEA - Current control and occurrence rating FMEA and Control Plans 3
J FMEA Handbook 2019 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
J Process FMEA Template with examples - Cold and Hot Forged components FMEA and Control Plans 4
B Why the Greek god Hephaestus should have done a design FMEA (DFMEA) on his giant robot APQP and PPAP 1
P Design FMEA - Detection Rating criteria ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
J Which OEM or customers are now requiring the new AIAG/VDA FMEA format? FMEA and Control Plans 6
C AIAG/VDA FMEA - Is the new better? FMEA and Control Plans 0
I Does anybody use Detection in medical device Design FMEA? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 18
P VDA AIAG FMEA - Slides for Quality Audience FMEA and Control Plans 4
P Design FMEA for Industrial Machinery FMEA and Control Plans 3
B AIAG/VDA’s FMEA Manual Is a Major Advance (my take on this subject) FMEA and Control Plans 2
B AIAG-VDA FMEA - When the new format will be required FMEA and Control Plans 5
D Where does "as far as possible" stop? FMEA - EN 14971 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 29
R What are the changes in 5th Edition of FMEA manual? FMEA and Control Plans 6
M Risk and Corrective actions - Currently no FMEA's - Car systems Risk Management Principles and Generic Guidelines 8
C FMEA Process assessment In the Draft for the AIAG/VDA FMEA Manual is gone FMEA and Control Plans 0
Jimmy123 Example of a P-Diagram for Process FMEA - Uncontrollable noises FMEA and Control Plans 39
Jimmy123 FMEA - Preventive vs Detection Control FMEA and Control Plans 7
M MANUAL FMEA VDA VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 1
L Which one is more important for FMEA CC or SC, FMEA and Control Plans 6
G FMEA financial benefits APQP and PPAP 2
M Foundation FMEA: what is it? FMEA and Control Plans 15
eule del ayre Merging FMEA and Quality Control Process Flow FMEA and Control Plans 0
K AIAG/VDA FMEA & Process Control Plans FMEA and Control Plans 0
D FMEA-MSR in the AIAG-VDA Aligned Handbook - What is it? FMEA and Control Plans 5
bobdoering Catching up on the new FMEA book! Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 2
bobdoering AIAG VDA FMEA Handbook - 2019 - something familiar about this.... FMEA and Control Plans 37
S New AIAG FMEA Process - How to complete the new format FMEA and Control Plans 32
C FMEA - Multiple function failures considerations FMEA and Control Plans 3
J New FMEA aproach - formular Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
B Confusion on the new FMEA guidebook - Are we supposed to replace our FMEAs? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
Z Using FMEA for Knowledge Management FMEA and Control Plans 6
D Link between FMEA, flow chart and control plan FMEA and Control Plans 10
K PFMEA (Process FMEA) - Can be common for 3000 products? FMEA and Control Plans 2
R The difference b/w FMEA & Risk analysis as per iso 14971 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 8
Jimmy123 ISO 31000 vs FMEA FMEA and Control Plans 1
Jimmy123 What is a Reverse FMEA? FMEA and Control Plans 6
I What does "Class" mean in an FMEA? FMEA and Control Plans 16
M FMEA/DCP Structure and Quantity - Similar Parts and Processes FMEA and Control Plans 7
Marc Definition DFMEA (Design FMEA) - Definition Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 0
D Where does FMEA fit in your ISO 14971 Risk Management process? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 13
J Looking for FMEA plastic injection molding FMEA and Control Plans 8
Ashok sunder Is it possible to reduce FMEA Occurrence and Detection Ranking after corrective action taken for customer complaints? FMEA and Control Plans 6
D Design FMEA for a component - Should I make the following assumptions? FMEA and Control Plans 7
N In-Process Production Test Stations in PFMEA (Process FMEA) FMEA and Control Plans 18
C VDA Vol.4 - Evaluation of an FMEA FMEA and Control Plans 0