FMEA for CNC Manufacturing

S

sindri

I am in the process of creating FMEA for all the process in CNC manufacturing like production/planning, QA, receiving, shipping, purchasing, sales/quotation, accounting, health & safety. Please advise where I can find samples related to all above processes.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
S

sindri

Thanks for the information, I am also little familiar with FMEA for production processes but I was informed that during upgrade from ISO 9001:2008 to 2015, we need to have FMEA for QMS processes. Please advise.

S

sindri

Thanks a lot sir but I could not find any link related to QMS processes, mostly related to design & production processes

DRAMMAN

Quite Involved in Discussions
I have worked at companies that used FMEA's as a continuous improvement tool for all processes. My experience is that most companies only do FMEA's because their customer that they "manufacture" a product for forces them to do it. Think the automotive industry's (and others) PPAP requirements. Companies that have strong CI programs use FMEA's for much more than production. Production Planning is no different than an assembly process. There are steps and those steps can be performed incorrectly.

My question is why do you want to do FMEA's? Is a customer demanding you do them or is your leadership team looking at using FMEA as a systematic tool to identify risk and improve processes?

For process such as Planning you would map out the process. Then list the steps in the PFMEA and start analyzing each step for how it can fail.

howste

Thaumaturge
Super Moderator
...I was informed that during upgrade from ISO 9001:2008 to 2015, we need to have FMEA for QMS processes. Please advise.
This is NOT a requirement. FMEA is a tool that can be used for various processes, but it isn't the only method to meet the new ISO 9001:2015 requirements. You've probably heard the saying from Abraham Maslow "I suppose it is tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail." Some people think that FMEA is the tool to use for everything risk-related, but it's not.

The actual requirements of the standard are to identify risks (and opportunities) that need to be addressed, to plan and implement actions to address them, and to evaluate the effectiveness of the actions.

Jen Kirley has posted a "Risk Based Planner" here that seems like a good tool to use to meet the requirements. You may want to look at it as an alternative to FMEA.

DRAMMAN

Quite Involved in Discussions
Sorry that I missed that in the thread. Yes, FMEA is not a requirement. You do need to demonstrate risked based thinking and FMEA is 1 of many tools that can be used.

On a side note, our registrar (very well known) stated in some transition seminars that if their clients are doing DFMEA's or PFMEA's of any type then they will not write RBT NC's. Though they may write observations that you should expand risk management to other areas in the future. Or something like that.

I think they are more various value focuses in the CNC manufacturing software Marketing. These can be confidential as change or expert value focuses. This is typically a decent break also in the highlights a program proposal.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q Manufacturing Milling and CNC FMEA Examples FMEA and Control Plans 16
H FMEA sample for complete CNC machining process FMEA and Control Plans 1
B Why the Greek god Hephaestus should have done a design FMEA (DFMEA) on his giant robot APQP and PPAP 1
P Design FMEA - Detection Rating criteria ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
J Which OEM or customers are now requiring the new AIAG/VDA FMEA format? FMEA and Control Plans 0
C AIAG/VDA FMEA - Is the new better? FMEA and Control Plans 0
I Does anybody use Detection in medical device Design FMEA? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 18
P VDA AIAG FMEA - Slides for Quality Audience FMEA and Control Plans 4
P Design FMEA for Industrial Machinery FMEA and Control Plans 3
B AIAG/VDA’s FMEA Manual Is a Major Advance (my take on this subject) FMEA and Control Plans 2
B AIAG-VDA FMEA - When the new format will be required FMEA and Control Plans 5
D Where does "as far as possible" stop? FMEA - EN 14971 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 29
R What are the changes in 5th Edition of FMEA manual? FMEA and Control Plans 6
M Risk and Corrective actions - Currently no FMEA's - Car systems Risk Management Principles and Generic Guidelines 8
C FMEA Process assessment In the Draft for the AIAG/VDA FMEA Manual is gone FMEA and Control Plans 0
Jimmy123 Example of a P-Diagram for Process FMEA - Uncontrollable noises FMEA and Control Plans 39
Jimmy123 FMEA - Preventive vs Detection Control FMEA and Control Plans 7
M MANUAL FMEA VDA VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 1
L Which one is more important for FMEA CC or SC, FMEA and Control Plans 6
G FMEA financial benefits APQP and PPAP 2
M Foundation FMEA: what is it? FMEA and Control Plans 15
eule del ayre Merging FMEA and Quality Control Process Flow FMEA and Control Plans 0
K AIAG/VDA FMEA & Process Control Plans FMEA and Control Plans 0
D FMEA-MSR in the AIAG-VDA Aligned Handbook - What is it? FMEA and Control Plans 4
bobdoering Catching up on the new FMEA book! Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 2
bobdoering AIAG VDA FMEA Handbook - 2019 - something familiar about this.... FMEA and Control Plans 37
S New AIAG FMEA Process - How to complete the new format FMEA and Control Plans 32
C FMEA - Multiple function failures considerations FMEA and Control Plans 3
J New FMEA aproach - formular Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
B Confusion on the new FMEA guidebook - Are we supposed to replace our FMEAs? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
Z Using FMEA for Knowledge Management FMEA and Control Plans 6
D Link between FMEA, flow chart and control plan FMEA and Control Plans 10
K PFMEA (Process FMEA) - Can be common for 3000 products? FMEA and Control Plans 2
R The difference b/w FMEA & Risk analysis as per iso 14971 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 8
Jimmy123 ISO 31000 vs FMEA FMEA and Control Plans 1
Jimmy123 What is a Reverse FMEA? FMEA and Control Plans 6
I What does "Class" mean in an FMEA? FMEA and Control Plans 16
M FMEA/DCP Structure and Quantity - Similar Parts and Processes FMEA and Control Plans 7
Marc Definition DFMEA (Design FMEA) - Definition Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 0
D Where does FMEA fit in your ISO 14971 Risk Management process? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 13
JT3M Looking for FMEA plastic injection molding FMEA and Control Plans 8
Ashok sunder Is it possible to reduce FMEA Occurrence and Detection Ranking after corrective action taken for customer complaints? FMEA and Control Plans 6
D Design FMEA for a component - Should I make the following assumptions? FMEA and Control Plans 7
N In-Process Production Test Stations in PFMEA (Process FMEA) FMEA and Control Plans 18
C VDA Vol.4 - Evaluation of an FMEA FMEA and Control Plans 0
D Do you need requirements for a Design FMEA FMEA and Control Plans 1
D System Level FMEA example wanted FMEA and Control Plans 2
G Can anyone tell me about Tooling FMEA FMEA and Control Plans 3
K Need feedback: FMEA Web Application FMEA and Control Plans 5
N Process FMEA Occurrence Ranking for New Process FMEA and Control Plans 3