FMEA Help - Conduct an FMEA of a Pencil

C

carvind

I need help in completing the following exercise.

Conduct an FMEA of a pencil. Consider that the function is to make a black mark. Requirements could include that it is to make a mark, it marks a black color, and it does not mark intermittantly. Failure mode would then be that it makes no mark at all, mark is not black in color and it marks intermittantly.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
F

florin pirvulescu

beginner question

As a beginnerr in everything incuding english could someone tell me what means FMEA?

Florin :confused:

Geoff Cotton

Quite Involved in Discussions
Carvind,
Is this a Design or Process FMEA?

Florin,
Failure Modes Effects Analysis. Its a simple technique for analising the effect of failures and risk, from which improvement plans can be made.

Geoff

Ok... I'll bite.

To start things off:

Right away, I can see four problem areas making it impossible to make that mark: There could be something wrong with:

The pencil itself,
The writing surface,
The user,
The environment it is being used in...

More?

Then: What could go wrong in a given area? For instance:

The tip of the penci may be broken,
The paper may be too glossy,
The user may be drunk,
The environment... well it may be too cold or something?

There could be lots of reasons.

/Claes

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P PFMEA (Process FMEA) Recommended Actions help FMEA and Control Plans 9
P Design FMEA (DFMEA) Basics - Help needed IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
T Our products are Security Cabinets - FMEA & Control Plan Quality Planning help FMEA and Control Plans 1
B Can somebody help me to show a 'delta-FMEA' example? FMEA and Control Plans 10
I Help writing FMEA & Control Plans - Re-writing our FMEA & Control Plans FMEA and Control Plans 2
A Help regarding FMEA - Seeking Review FMEA and Control Plans 1
A Process FMEA - Help in deciding "detection ranking" of a failure mode FMEA and Control Plans 5
B Machining FMEA - I need help for good example FMEA and Control Plans 2
Q Process FMEA - Need help to clarify O (Occurrence) and D (Detection) rankings FMEA and Control Plans 26
I Need Help with Process FMEA Basics - Feasibility Analysis Outputs are Inputs to FMEA? FMEA and Control Plans 25
S PFMEA Help - Page 39 in the 3rd Ed. of the FMEA Manual FMEA and Control Plans 3
Raffy Preventive Action - Does generating an FMEA help future containment? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 2
K FMEA for a floating, plastic duck - University exercise - help! FMEA and Control Plans 5
J FMEA Handbook 2019. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
J Process FMEA Template with examples. FMEA and Control Plans 0
B Why the Greek god Hephaestus should have done a design FMEA (DFMEA) on his giant robot APQP and PPAP 1
P Design FMEA - Detection Rating criteria ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
J Which OEM or customers are now requiring the new AIAG/VDA FMEA format? FMEA and Control Plans 0
C AIAG/VDA FMEA - Is the new better? FMEA and Control Plans 0
I Does anybody use Detection in medical device Design FMEA? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 18
P VDA AIAG FMEA - Slides for Quality Audience FMEA and Control Plans 4
P Design FMEA for Industrial Machinery FMEA and Control Plans 3
B AIAG/VDA’s FMEA Manual Is a Major Advance (my take on this subject) FMEA and Control Plans 2
B AIAG-VDA FMEA - When the new format will be required FMEA and Control Plans 5
D Where does "as far as possible" stop? FMEA - EN 14971 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 29
R What are the changes in 5th Edition of FMEA manual? FMEA and Control Plans 6
M Risk and Corrective actions - Currently no FMEA's - Car systems Risk Management Principles and Generic Guidelines 8
C FMEA Process assessment In the Draft for the AIAG/VDA FMEA Manual is gone FMEA and Control Plans 0
Jimmy123 Example of a P-Diagram for Process FMEA - Uncontrollable noises FMEA and Control Plans 39
Jimmy123 FMEA - Preventive vs Detection Control FMEA and Control Plans 7
M MANUAL FMEA VDA VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 1
L Which one is more important for FMEA CC or SC, FMEA and Control Plans 6
G FMEA financial benefits APQP and PPAP 2
M Foundation FMEA: what is it? FMEA and Control Plans 15
eule del ayre Merging FMEA and Quality Control Process Flow FMEA and Control Plans 0
K AIAG/VDA FMEA & Process Control Plans FMEA and Control Plans 0
D FMEA-MSR in the AIAG-VDA Aligned Handbook - What is it? FMEA and Control Plans 4
bobdoering Catching up on the new FMEA book! Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 2
bobdoering AIAG VDA FMEA Handbook - 2019 - something familiar about this.... FMEA and Control Plans 37
S New AIAG FMEA Process - How to complete the new format FMEA and Control Plans 32
C FMEA - Multiple function failures considerations FMEA and Control Plans 3
J New FMEA aproach - formular Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
B Confusion on the new FMEA guidebook - Are we supposed to replace our FMEAs? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
Z Using FMEA for Knowledge Management FMEA and Control Plans 6
D Link between FMEA, flow chart and control plan FMEA and Control Plans 10
K PFMEA (Process FMEA) - Can be common for 3000 products? FMEA and Control Plans 2
R The difference b/w FMEA & Risk analysis as per iso 14971 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 8
Jimmy123 ISO 31000 vs FMEA FMEA and Control Plans 1
Jimmy123 What is a Reverse FMEA? FMEA and Control Plans 6
I What does "Class" mean in an FMEA? FMEA and Control Plans 16