FMEA link to Control Plan frequency and sample size

I had a recent finding from an auditor that our Control Plan is not linked to FMEA or other sources available to justify sample sizes or test frequencies?
Could someone help me to explain how is the requirement for linking of FMEA vs Control plan? And how FMEA can justify a sample sizes or test frequencies from control plan? Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Alan_DB

Involved In Discussions
Does your FMEA rely on trending of incidents / testing of product to determine if risk mitigations are effective? If so, the post mitigation likelihood should drive your samples size / frequency in the control plan.

Does your FMEA rely on trending of incidents / testing of product to determine if risk mitigations are effective? If so, the post mitigation likelihood should drive your samples size / frequency in the control plan.
Hello Allan, do you have any example? I can't still get it..
For example: Control Plan states the following
Control: Dimension measurement Sample Size: 100% Frequency: Per lot/material
How can I use the FMEA to justify the control with sample size/frequency in control plan?

Sebastian

Trusted Information Resource
I would change thread title, e.g. importance of frequency in PFMEA analysis, as current one is too general.

Detection table ranking (5), 6 - 10 per AIAG does not depend on sample size and frequencies.
What was your ranking?
Sample size depends on parts quantity achieved during one production cycle, e.g. when multiple cavity molds are used, parts coming from all cavities need to be verified. Other aspect, when failure source is setup related, so setup inspection size should be reliable, e.g. 5 pcs.
Frequency starts from level of 100%, but when capability analysis results are satisfactory, you can implement sampling, e.g. first off/ last off.
I can't tell auditor was right or wrong without reviewing both documents, but usually setting sampling is post-PFMEA activity.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
I had a recent finding from an auditor that our Control Plan is not linked to FMEA or other sources available to justify sample sizes or test frequencies?
Could someone help me to explain how is the requirement for linking of FMEA vs Control plan? And how FMEA can justify a sample sizes or test frequencies from control plan? Thanks in advance
What type of audit was this (i.e., ISO 9001, IATF, etc.)? Were there Customer Specific Requirements (CSRs) involved?

I would change thread title, e.g. importance of frequency in PFMEA analysis, as current one is too general.

Detection table ranking (5), 6 - 10 per AIAG does not depend on sample size and frequencies.
What was your ranking?
Sample size depends on parts quantity achieved during one production cycle, e.g. when multiple cavity molds are used, parts coming from all cavities need to be verified. Other aspect, when failure source is setup related, so setup inspection size should be reliable, e.g. 5 pcs.
Frequency starts from level of 100%, but when capability analysis results are satisfactory, you can implement sampling, e.g. first off/ last off.
I can't tell auditor was right or wrong without reviewing both documents, but usually setting sampling is post-PFMEA activity.
Thanks Sebastian, I think I am getting your point but I think the auditor wanted me to show how FMEA justified the Sample size and frequency from the control plan. Do you have any examples that could share how it was being done? thanks!

What type of audit was this (i.e., ISO 9001, IATF, etc.)? Were there Customer Specific Requirements (CSRs) involved?
Hi Miner, it is a VDA audit. No customer specific requirements involved. I am not sure how to show or justify the sample size and frequency from the control plan using the FMEA? and how will it be linked.

Sebastian

Trusted Information Resource
Some time ago, I've read AIAG FMEA manual searching for this subject and I've presented result in previous post.
Detection table is the only one related thing I found.
Maybe someone else will find more.

Very simplified - PFMEA ends where control plan starts.
The only aspect where we could say, PFMEA goes a little bit on control plan territory, is evaluation/measurement technique.
During PFMEA you identify detection method and then per manual, ranking is different for attribute and variable gauging.
I understand intention - variable gauging is preferred, as through this kind of inspection you get much more valuable data. You can monitor trends, you can calculate capability while attribute inspection result is "OK" or "NOK".
I won't look for justification here, so I can't share examples.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
I think that the auditor is over simplifying this. When I make a determination of sample size and frequency, I consider all of the following:
  • Understanding the process (process flow diagram)
  • Understanding the areas of risk (PFMEA) - This determines where I should add control points
  • Understand the dominant source of variation in the areas of risk (i.e., setup, machine, operator, material, component, maintenance, tooling, fixture/pallet or environment)
  • Identify how often changes occur in the dominant source of variation to establish a frequency (e.g., every batch change, every setup change, etc.)
  • Sample size will depend on your control method (i.e., are you sampling, using SPC, type of control chart (i.e., IMR, Xbar/R), etc.)
  • History of escapes on similar control points

I think that the auditor is over simplifying this. When I make a determination of sample size and frequency, I consider all of the following:
  • Understanding the process (process flow diagram)
  • Understanding the areas of risk (PFMEA) - This determines where I should add control points
  • Understand the dominant source of variation in the areas of risk (i.e., setup, machine, operator, material, component, maintenance, tooling, fixture/pallet or environment)
  • Identify how often changes occur in the dominant source of variation to establish a frequency (e.g., every batch change, every setup change, etc.)
  • Sample size will depend on your control method (i.e., are you sampling, using SPC, type of control chart (i.e., IMR, Xbar/R), etc.)
  • History of escapes on similar control points
Thanks Miner for the response, this is helpful.. I've found a clause from control plan that states

"The organization shall have a control plan for pre-launch and production that shows linkage and
incorporates information from the design risk analysis (if provided by the customer), process flow diagram, and manufacturing process risk analysis outputs (such as FMEA)."

The organization shall, if required by the customer, provide measurement and conformity data
collected during execution of either the pre-launch or production control plans. The organization shall include in the control plan:
a)
b)
i) at a set frequency based on a risk analysis

This might be the reference of auditor. Although I am still not sure how to show it using the FMEA, do I need to explain on every fail mode/causes in FMEA how should be the frequency and sample size analyse? that's tough and hard to maintain.
Could someone help me.. what are your suggestions how to address this.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Link between FMEA, flow chart and control plan FMEA and Control Plans 10
J The real Link between a PFMEA (Process FMEA) and the Control Plan FMEA and Control Plans 19
A FMEA Software IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
Dan Pare Ford CSR Update (FMEA's) - January 2022 FMEA and Control Plans 8
H RPN in AIaG-VDA FMEA Manual FMEA and Control Plans 1
M Process FMEA for Laser Cutting/Press Brake/Welding FMEA and Control Plans 2
L Looking for Control Plan and FMEA Stamping process FMEA and Control Plans 2
OpExPro AIAG VDA FMEA Rating Tables FMEA and Control Plans 5
OpExPro The note at the bottom of DFMEA occurrence tables in AIAG VDA FMEA FMEA and Control Plans 0
Q FMEA and Risk assessment in Microsoft Access FMEA and Control Plans 6
W FMEA - Current control and occurrence rating FMEA and Control Plans 3
J FMEA Handbook 2019 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
J Process FMEA Template with examples - Cold and Hot Forged components FMEA and Control Plans 4
B Why the Greek god Hephaestus should have done a design FMEA (DFMEA) on his giant robot APQP and PPAP 1
P Design FMEA - Detection Rating criteria ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
J Which OEM or customers are now requiring the new AIAG/VDA FMEA format? FMEA and Control Plans 7
C AIAG/VDA FMEA - Is the new better? FMEA and Control Plans 0
I Does anybody use Detection in medical device Design FMEA? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 25
P VDA AIAG FMEA - Slides for Quality Audience FMEA and Control Plans 4
P Design FMEA for Industrial Machinery FMEA and Control Plans 3
B AIAG/VDA’s FMEA Manual Is a Major Advance (my take on this subject) FMEA and Control Plans 2
B AIAG-VDA FMEA - When the new format will be required FMEA and Control Plans 5
D Where does "as far as possible" stop? FMEA - EN 14971 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 29
R What are the changes in 5th Edition of FMEA manual? FMEA and Control Plans 6
M Risk and Corrective actions - Currently no FMEA's - Car systems Risk Management Principles and Generic Guidelines 8
C FMEA Process assessment In the Draft for the AIAG/VDA FMEA Manual is gone FMEA and Control Plans 0
Jimmy123 Example of a P-Diagram for Process FMEA - Uncontrollable noises FMEA and Control Plans 39
Jimmy123 FMEA - Preventive vs Detection Control FMEA and Control Plans 7
M MANUAL FMEA VDA VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 1
L Which one is more important for FMEA CC or SC, FMEA and Control Plans 6
G FMEA financial benefits APQP and PPAP 2
M Foundation FMEA: what is it? FMEA and Control Plans 15
eule del ayre Merging FMEA and Quality Control Process Flow FMEA and Control Plans 0
K AIAG/VDA FMEA & Process Control Plans FMEA and Control Plans 0
D FMEA-MSR in the AIAG-VDA Aligned Handbook - What is it? FMEA and Control Plans 5
bobdoering Catching up on the new FMEA book! Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 2
bobdoering AIAG VDA FMEA Handbook - 2019 - something familiar about this.... FMEA and Control Plans 37
S New AIAG FMEA Process - How to complete the new format FMEA and Control Plans 32
C FMEA - Multiple function failures considerations FMEA and Control Plans 3
J New FMEA aproach - formular Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
B Confusion on the new FMEA guidebook - Are we supposed to replace our FMEAs? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
Z Using FMEA for Knowledge Management FMEA and Control Plans 6
K PFMEA (Process FMEA) - Can be common for 3000 products? FMEA and Control Plans 2
R The difference b/w FMEA & Risk analysis as per iso 14971 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 8
Jimmy123 ISO 31000 vs FMEA FMEA and Control Plans 1
Jimmy123 What is a Reverse FMEA? FMEA and Control Plans 6
I What does "Class" mean in an FMEA? FMEA and Control Plans 16
M FMEA/DCP Structure and Quantity - Similar Parts and Processes FMEA and Control Plans 7
Marc Definition DFMEA (Design FMEA) - Definition Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 0
D Where does FMEA fit in your ISO 14971 Risk Management process? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 13