FMEA-MSR in the AIAG-VDA Aligned Handbook - What is it?

I am working my way through the new standard and was curious if the FMEA-MSR is familiar to anyone here. I'm struggling to see where it would fit in, it seems like a DFMEA with slightly different, more end-user focused definitions, but I don't yet understand why this was added in as a "third pillar" next to DFMEAs and PFMEAs. Anyone have some insight here?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
I am working my way through the new standard and was curious if the FMEA-MSR is familiar to anyone here. I'm struggling to see where it would fit in, it seems like a DFMEA with slightly different, more end-user focused definitions, but I don't yet understand why this was added in as a "third pillar" next to DFMEAs and PFMEAs. Anyone have some insight here?
Daniel, there is a brief description in the second paragraph on Page 15, and a detailed description beginning on Page 125.
It can be part of a Design FMEA, but only if diagnostic capability is required to maintain safety or compliance. Take some time to study pages 125 and 126.

IMHO, it was added to provide more (LEGAL?) protection for the driver of the vehicle but also the OEM. More insights anyone?

Added: What is an FMEA-MSR? Here are some quick answers. Disclaimer: I have no business connection with this organization.

Last edited:

anandqgp

Involvement Access - Posts
Hi Daniel. We all have been experience MSR in our day to day life but somehow not recognising its presence. Let me quote some examples from Automotives. We all use brakes in our cars. As on today, we normally come to know of worn out brake pads only when we feel that it takes longer distance for vehicle to stop. Even when 60-70 per cent people ignore this failure and continue to use the worn out brake pads. And then .05 percent people realize this problem when they actually meet an accident.

Now let us talk as to Where MSR comes in. Now perceive that if had some sensor fitted in the brake pads when cautions the Driver with an audio message at 70% (the unsafe zone) of brake pads wear that "Hello friend, you are now riding weaker brakes and you have another 500Km to drive when your vehicle will be made non-operable, So better take your vehicle to Service shop and get the pads replaced. In emergency still you have an option to over-ride this warning for another 200KM".

Now in which process can such a alert and safety system can be ensured? Not Process Design since at process design, people do what is designed at Product Design. So obvious answer to your question is "MSR is applicable only to Product Design". There are numerous other examples of MSR but ending up only with visual displays. Some of them are, Seat belt not worn, Engine overheated warning, low Engine oil warning, battery not charging warning, lower fuel warning etc etc.

Should you still have any more doubts, please feel free to contact me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello, I'm from Brazil and would like to know if anyone could possibly share a link to download a pdf version of the new FMEA edition.
Thanks a lot.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
Hello, I'm from Brazil and would like to know if anyone could possibly share a link to download a pdf version of the new FMEA edition.
Thanks a lot.
That would be copyright protected. Posting of copyrighted materials is not allowed.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J FMEA Handbook 2019 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
J Process FMEA Template with examples - Cold and Hot Forged components FMEA and Control Plans 4
B Why the Greek god Hephaestus should have done a design FMEA (DFMEA) on his giant robot APQP and PPAP 1
P Design FMEA - Detection Rating criteria ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
J Which OEM or customers are now requiring the new AIAG/VDA FMEA format? FMEA and Control Plans 0
C AIAG/VDA FMEA - Is the new better? FMEA and Control Plans 0
I Does anybody use Detection in medical device Design FMEA? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 18
P VDA AIAG FMEA - Slides for Quality Audience FMEA and Control Plans 4
P Design FMEA for Industrial Machinery FMEA and Control Plans 3
B AIAG/VDA’s FMEA Manual Is a Major Advance (my take on this subject) FMEA and Control Plans 2
B AIAG-VDA FMEA - When the new format will be required FMEA and Control Plans 5
D Where does "as far as possible" stop? FMEA - EN 14971 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 29
R What are the changes in 5th Edition of FMEA manual? FMEA and Control Plans 6
M Risk and Corrective actions - Currently no FMEA's - Car systems Risk Management Principles and Generic Guidelines 8
C FMEA Process assessment In the Draft for the AIAG/VDA FMEA Manual is gone FMEA and Control Plans 0
Jimmy123 Example of a P-Diagram for Process FMEA - Uncontrollable noises FMEA and Control Plans 39
Jimmy123 FMEA - Preventive vs Detection Control FMEA and Control Plans 7
M MANUAL FMEA VDA VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 1
L Which one is more important for FMEA CC or SC, FMEA and Control Plans 6
G FMEA financial benefits APQP and PPAP 2
M Foundation FMEA: what is it? FMEA and Control Plans 15
eule del ayre Merging FMEA and Quality Control Process Flow FMEA and Control Plans 0
K AIAG/VDA FMEA & Process Control Plans FMEA and Control Plans 0
bobdoering Catching up on the new FMEA book! Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 2
bobdoering AIAG VDA FMEA Handbook - 2019 - something familiar about this.... FMEA and Control Plans 37
S New AIAG FMEA Process - How to complete the new format FMEA and Control Plans 32
C FMEA - Multiple function failures considerations FMEA and Control Plans 3
J New FMEA aproach - formular Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
B Confusion on the new FMEA guidebook - Are we supposed to replace our FMEAs? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
Z Using FMEA for Knowledge Management FMEA and Control Plans 6
D Link between FMEA, flow chart and control plan FMEA and Control Plans 10
K PFMEA (Process FMEA) - Can be common for 3000 products? FMEA and Control Plans 2
R The difference b/w FMEA & Risk analysis as per iso 14971 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 8
Jimmy123 ISO 31000 vs FMEA FMEA and Control Plans 1
Jimmy123 What is a Reverse FMEA? FMEA and Control Plans 6
I What does "Class" mean in an FMEA? FMEA and Control Plans 16
M FMEA/DCP Structure and Quantity - Similar Parts and Processes FMEA and Control Plans 7
Marc Definition DFMEA (Design FMEA) - Definition Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 0
D Where does FMEA fit in your ISO 14971 Risk Management process? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 13
JT3M Looking for FMEA plastic injection molding FMEA and Control Plans 8
Ashok sunder Is it possible to reduce FMEA Occurrence and Detection Ranking after corrective action taken for customer complaints? FMEA and Control Plans 6
D Design FMEA for a component - Should I make the following assumptions? FMEA and Control Plans 7
N In-Process Production Test Stations in PFMEA (Process FMEA) FMEA and Control Plans 18
C VDA Vol.4 - Evaluation of an FMEA FMEA and Control Plans 0
D Do you need requirements for a Design FMEA FMEA and Control Plans 1
D System Level FMEA example wanted FMEA and Control Plans 2
G Can anyone tell me about Tooling FMEA FMEA and Control Plans 3
K Need feedback: FMEA Web Application FMEA and Control Plans 5
N Process FMEA Occurrence Ranking for New Process FMEA and Control Plans 3
G AIAG FMEA - Major customers of the FMEA process FMEA and Control Plans 3