FMEA Poka-Yoke & DOE (Design of Experiements)

A

Armtzcor

Fmea, Poka-yoke & De

Hey Guys,

Can somebody help me in how to link the Design of Experiments and Poka-Yoke tools with an FMEA?

What should I do first? The FMEA then to apply these tools in the improvement of items with RPN more high? or apply first the DE and Poka-Yoke then apply the FMEA study?

Please any reply will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Arnulfo

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Manoj Mathur

Quite Involved in Discussions
Linking of DOE and Poka-Yoke with FMEA.

DOE is one of the most Important problem solving tool and Poka-Yoke is Error Prevention tool. Regarding linking, Poka-Yoke could be used to reduce the rating of RPN indirectly. Effective Poka-Yoke would fatch early detection and no or very less occurance of Fault, which constitutes RPN. At this moment I am not able to link with DOE and FMEA. Can any body throw the light?
I feel, FMEA study should be conducted first and to reduce RPN one can use Poka-Yoke and not vice versa.

D

D.Scott

I agree with Manoj. Start with understanding your process as it is (FMEA) and use DOE to determine what action would have the greatest effect on process improvement. Be careful to look at the effect on the entire process as sometimes a "fix" for one problem creates another problem downstream. Whenever possible use Poka-Yoke in the arrived at action.

Dave

B

Bill Ryan - 2007

I agree with Dave and Manoj.

The FMEA (System, Design, Process, Product, etc.) should point out the "opportunities" for DOEs and Poka-Yokes. As far as reducing RPN values - DOEs affect the OCCURENCE rating (possibly the SEVERITY in some cases) and Poka-Yokes affect the DETECTION rating.

As far as "linking" - the only method I know of is to physically go in to the FMEA and change the ratings.

Dave also makes a very important point. While DOEs need to have a pretty focused measurement outcome, you need to keep the rest of the part/process requirements "in the back of your head" and make sure none of them have been adversely affected.

Hope that helps.

Bill

A

Armtzcor

FMEA, DOE & Poka-Yoke

Hello Guys,

I want to thank all of you for your kind responses. All of your opinions have given me a very better perspective about these items.

And so sorry for my late answer, that is because I was on vacation.

Regards,
Arnulfo

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Poka Yoke and FMEA Detection Ranking FMEA and Control Plans 3
J Poka-Yoke in Process FMEA (PFMEA) - Which column? FMEA and Control Plans 10
J FMEA Handbook 2019 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
J Process FMEA Template with examples - Cold and Hot Forged components FMEA and Control Plans 2
B Why the Greek god Hephaestus should have done a design FMEA (DFMEA) on his giant robot APQP and PPAP 1
P Design FMEA - Detection Rating criteria ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
J Which OEM or customers are now requiring the new AIAG/VDA FMEA format? FMEA and Control Plans 0
C AIAG/VDA FMEA - Is the new better? FMEA and Control Plans 0
I Does anybody use Detection in medical device Design FMEA? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 18
P VDA AIAG FMEA - Slides for Quality Audience FMEA and Control Plans 4
P Design FMEA for Industrial Machinery FMEA and Control Plans 3
B AIAG/VDA’s FMEA Manual Is a Major Advance (my take on this subject) FMEA and Control Plans 2
B AIAG-VDA FMEA - When the new format will be required FMEA and Control Plans 5
D Where does "as far as possible" stop? FMEA - EN 14971 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 29
R What are the changes in 5th Edition of FMEA manual? FMEA and Control Plans 6
M Risk and Corrective actions - Currently no FMEA's - Car systems Risk Management Principles and Generic Guidelines 8
C FMEA Process assessment In the Draft for the AIAG/VDA FMEA Manual is gone FMEA and Control Plans 0
Jimmy123 Example of a P-Diagram for Process FMEA - Uncontrollable noises FMEA and Control Plans 39
Jimmy123 FMEA - Preventive vs Detection Control FMEA and Control Plans 7
M MANUAL FMEA VDA VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 1
L Which one is more important for FMEA CC or SC, FMEA and Control Plans 6
G FMEA financial benefits APQP and PPAP 2
M Foundation FMEA: what is it? FMEA and Control Plans 15
eule del ayre Merging FMEA and Quality Control Process Flow FMEA and Control Plans 0
K AIAG/VDA FMEA & Process Control Plans FMEA and Control Plans 0
D FMEA-MSR in the AIAG-VDA Aligned Handbook - What is it? FMEA and Control Plans 4
bobdoering Catching up on the new FMEA book! Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 2
bobdoering AIAG VDA FMEA Handbook - 2019 - something familiar about this.... FMEA and Control Plans 37
S New AIAG FMEA Process - How to complete the new format FMEA and Control Plans 32
C FMEA - Multiple function failures considerations FMEA and Control Plans 3
J New FMEA aproach - formular Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
B Confusion on the new FMEA guidebook - Are we supposed to replace our FMEAs? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
Z Using FMEA for Knowledge Management FMEA and Control Plans 6
D Link between FMEA, flow chart and control plan FMEA and Control Plans 10
K PFMEA (Process FMEA) - Can be common for 3000 products? FMEA and Control Plans 2
R The difference b/w FMEA & Risk analysis as per iso 14971 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 8
Jimmy123 ISO 31000 vs FMEA FMEA and Control Plans 1
Jimmy123 What is a Reverse FMEA? FMEA and Control Plans 6
I What does "Class" mean in an FMEA? FMEA and Control Plans 16
M FMEA/DCP Structure and Quantity - Similar Parts and Processes FMEA and Control Plans 7
Marc Definition DFMEA (Design FMEA) - Definition Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 0
D Where does FMEA fit in your ISO 14971 Risk Management process? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 13
JT3M Looking for FMEA plastic injection molding FMEA and Control Plans 8
Ashok sunder Is it possible to reduce FMEA Occurrence and Detection Ranking after corrective action taken for customer complaints? FMEA and Control Plans 6
D Design FMEA for a component - Should I make the following assumptions? FMEA and Control Plans 7
N In-Process Production Test Stations in PFMEA (Process FMEA) FMEA and Control Plans 18
C VDA Vol.4 - Evaluation of an FMEA FMEA and Control Plans 0
D Do you need requirements for a Design FMEA FMEA and Control Plans 1
D System Level FMEA example wanted FMEA and Control Plans 2
G Can anyone tell me about Tooling FMEA FMEA and Control Plans 3