FMEA - Reduce Occurance of a Failure (or its cause) by Design Change

K

KAVOSH

FMEA

Hi everybody,

1- anybody knows if one can use FMEA ranking tables (for S,O,D) directly in an FMEA session, or one has to customize these tables for a specific product? If yes, does anyone has a customized ranking system?

2- FMEA reference Manual suggests that to reduce Occurance of a failure (or its cause) one has to undertake a design change. On the other hand, in the example given for DFMEA it seems with with increasing test they have managed to reduce the occurance ranking? Don't these two statements seem contradictory?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Originally posted by KAVOSH:

1- anybody knows if one can use FMEA ranking tables (for S,O,D) directly in an FMEA session, or one has to customize these tables for a specific product? If yes, does anyone has a customized ranking system?
Typically each product has at least some custimization. I don't have an example off hand.

2- FMEA reference Manual suggests that to reduce Occurance of a failure (or its cause) one has to undertake a design change. On the other hand, in the example given for DFMEA it seems with increasing test they have managed to reduce the occurance ranking? Don't these two statements seem contradictory?
What pages in the FMEA manual are you looking at?

Q

Qualiman

Originally posted by KAVOSH:
Hi everybody,

2- FMEA reference Manual suggests that to reduce Occurance of a failure (or its cause) one has to undertake a design change. On the other hand, in the example given for DFMEA it seems with with increasing test they have managed to reduce the occurance ranking? Don't these two statements seem contradictory?
You can reduce occurrence by attacking the potential CAUSES of failure and detection by making changes on your process/design CONTROLS, but severity will only be reduced making changes in your design in order to reduce the EFFECT of the failure

Qualiman

K

KAVOSH

Originally posted by Marc Smith:
What pages in the FMEA manual are you looking at?
Dear Marc,

I was refering to FMEA manual, design FMEA, the example given there. In the example they seem to have decreased Occurance by increasing design controls (which is meant to decrease Detection). On the other hand in the main text of the manual they suggest that only through design change you can reduce Occurance !

K

KAVOSH

Originally posted by Qualiman:
You can reduce occurrence by attacking the potential CAUSES of failure and detection by making changes on your process/design CONTROLS, but severity will only be reduced making changes in your design in order to reduce the EFFECT of the failure

Qualiman

Dear Qualiman,

That is exactly my point! In the DFMEA example (FMEA manual) they have only included more Lab Testing (more Control) and it seems as a result Occurance has decreased !? This means they haven't attacked the cause, doesn't it?

D
Kosha,
A test will only detect an occurence; not reduce it. What type of test was it in the book? (My book is at work). You can use the tables in the book. To customize your own tables would be ok; but not necessary; as the tables are pretty much a "shall" on what numbers to give.
Hope this helps a little.

K

kavosh

Originally posted by Dawn:
Kosha,
A test will only detect an occurence; not reduce it. What type of test was it in the book? (My book is at work). You can use the tables in the book. To customize your own tables would be ok; but not necessary; as the tables are pretty much a "shall" on what numbers to give.
Hope this helps a little.
Thanks Dawn.
The test in the FMEA reference manual was a corrosion test on car door.
Thanks for the adivce.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Ashok sunder Is it possible to reduce FMEA Occurrence and Detection Ranking after corrective action taken for customer complaints? FMEA and Control Plans 6
A PFMEA (Process FMEA) Detection Rating - Actions to Reduce RPN FMEA and Control Plans 3
B Why the Greek god Hephaestus should have done a design FMEA (DFMEA) on his giant robot APQP and PPAP 1
P Design FMEA - Detection Rating criteria ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
J Which OEM or customers are now requiring the new AIAG/VDA FMEA format? FMEA and Control Plans 0
C AIAG/VDA FMEA - Is the new better? FMEA and Control Plans 0
I Does anybody use Detection in medical device Design FMEA? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 18
P VDA AIAG FMEA - Slides for Quality Audience FMEA and Control Plans 4
P Design FMEA for Industrial Machinery FMEA and Control Plans 3
B AIAG/VDA’s FMEA Manual Is a Major Advance (my take on this subject) FMEA and Control Plans 2
B AIAG-VDA FMEA - When the new format will be required FMEA and Control Plans 5
D Where does "as far as possible" stop? FMEA - EN 14971 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 29
R What are the changes in 5th Edition of FMEA manual? FMEA and Control Plans 6
M Risk and Corrective actions - Currently no FMEA's - Car systems Risk Management Principles and Generic Guidelines 8
C FMEA Process assessment In the Draft for the AIAG/VDA FMEA Manual is gone FMEA and Control Plans 0
Jimmy123 Example of a P-Diagram for Process FMEA - Uncontrollable noises FMEA and Control Plans 39
Jimmy123 FMEA - Preventive vs Detection Control FMEA and Control Plans 7
M MANUAL FMEA VDA VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 1
L Which one is more important for FMEA CC or SC, FMEA and Control Plans 6
G FMEA financial benefits APQP and PPAP 2
M Foundation FMEA: what is it? FMEA and Control Plans 15
eule del ayre Merging FMEA and Quality Control Process Flow FMEA and Control Plans 0
K AIAG/VDA FMEA & Process Control Plans FMEA and Control Plans 0
D FMEA-MSR in the AIAG-VDA Aligned Handbook - What is it? FMEA and Control Plans 4
bobdoering Catching up on the new FMEA book! Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 2
bobdoering AIAG VDA FMEA Handbook - 2019 - something familiar about this.... FMEA and Control Plans 37
S New AIAG FMEA Process - How to complete the new format FMEA and Control Plans 32
C FMEA - Multiple function failures considerations FMEA and Control Plans 3
J New FMEA aproach - formular Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
B Confusion on the new FMEA guidebook - Are we supposed to replace our FMEAs? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
Z Using FMEA for Knowledge Management FMEA and Control Plans 6
D Link between FMEA, flow chart and control plan FMEA and Control Plans 10
K PFMEA (Process FMEA) - Can be common for 3000 products? FMEA and Control Plans 2
R The difference b/w FMEA & Risk analysis as per iso 14971 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 8
Jimmy123 ISO 31000 vs FMEA FMEA and Control Plans 1
Jimmy123 What is a Reverse FMEA? FMEA and Control Plans 6
I What does "Class" mean in an FMEA? FMEA and Control Plans 16
M FMEA/DCP Structure and Quantity - Similar Parts and Processes FMEA and Control Plans 7
Marc Definition DFMEA (Design FMEA) - Definition Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 0
D Where does FMEA fit in your ISO 14971 Risk Management process? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 13
JT3M Looking for FMEA plastic injection molding FMEA and Control Plans 8
D Design FMEA for a component - Should I make the following assumptions? FMEA and Control Plans 7
N In-Process Production Test Stations in PFMEA (Process FMEA) FMEA and Control Plans 18
C VDA Vol.4 - Evaluation of an FMEA FMEA and Control Plans 0
D Do you need requirements for a Design FMEA FMEA and Control Plans 1
D System Level FMEA example wanted FMEA and Control Plans 2
G Can anyone tell me about Tooling FMEA FMEA and Control Plans 3
K Need feedback: FMEA Web Application FMEA and Control Plans 5
N Process FMEA Occurrence Ranking for New Process FMEA and Control Plans 3
G AIAG FMEA - Major customers of the FMEA process FMEA and Control Plans 3