FMEA Severity, Occurrence, and Detection Rating - I am in need of some examples

E

ezorangee

I am in need of some examples of Severity, Occurrence and Detection rating tables for a Process FMEA. We manufacture injected plastic parts to automotive, and the current table that we are using from the AIAG manual just doesn't relate well to our process. I am beginning to create my own guidelines for the ratings, but any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Also, we are TS certified. Would I be creating a potential nonconpliance by not using a rating method not recognized by the automotive group?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
ezorangee said:
I am in need of some examples of Severity, Occurrence and Detection rating tables for a Process FMEA. We manufacture injected plastic parts to automotive, and the current table that we are using from the AIAG manual just doesn't relate well to our process. I am beginning to create my own guidelines for the ratings, but any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Also, we are TS certified. Would I be creating a potential nonconpliance by not using a rating method not recognized by the automotive group?

The AIAG FMEA manual allows for alternative approaches, but the alternative should have a similar level of strictness. It should not result in significantly lower RPN scores.

B

Bill Ryan - 2007

You can use any rating system you like - as long as it makes sense to your operation AND you can convince your customer that you have a system for improvement based upon your rating scale. Keep in mind that most automotive customers are "entrenched" in the 10 point scale and it may be rather difficult to get them to budge to another rating scale - even if it makes sense.

C

chrisoleary

I used a rating of 1 to 5 for all S,O,D and a severity of 10 only for Important Safety Critical.

I had a argument with my Customer Auditor who expressed his own opinion that it should be 1 to 10. You can define your own table.

Of course you want to see an example look at page 5 of 6 attached.

Cheers

Chris

Attachments

C

cheahga

It depends on your customer

ezorangee said:

Hi Ezorangee,

The question of potential non-compliance of not using a rating to the automotive group greatly dependance on your customer specific requirement.

Just to give you some example, in Ford CSR, it clearly stated that:

FMEAs

The organization shall prepare documented process FMEAs for all the Ford parts it manufactures. Where the organization is responsible for design, the organization shall prepare documented design FMEAs for all Ford parts it designs. FMEAs may be written for families of parts, where typically the only difference in the parts is dimensional, not form, application or function. However, in all cases, use of family process FMEAs shall be approved by STA and use of family design FMEAs shall be approved by Ford Engineering. Suppliers are to provide copies of FMEA documents to Ford Motor Company upon request. Suppliers shall comply with the Ford FMEA Handbook requirements see FSP Library Services– (subsection FMEA). Suppliers complying with the Ford FMEA Handbook will meet the FMEA and related requirements of the Q1 Manufacturing Site Assessment. .

In this case, you need to follow the rating determined. Usually AIAG manuals will be a good source to start as what Hjiling has suggested.

Some of our customer even have requirement where it stated that any failure mode with severity more than 7, organization shall take action to minimize tha occurrence to 1 & detection of 5 or less per AIAG FMEA rating.

Hope this help.:bigwave:

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
cheahga said:
Some of our customer even have requirement where it stated that any failure mode with severity more than 7, organization shall take action to minimize tha occurrence to 1 & detection of 5 or less per AIAG FMEA rating.

A customer who requres this, clearly does not understand FMEA. Most parts would never qualify for a Severity of 1, and Detection of 5 comes close to requiring near-error proofed systems. Not always feasible, unless they are still using the old 2nd ed FMEA tables (God Forbid).

C

cheahga

FMEA doubt

hjilling said:
A customer who requres this, clearly does not understand FMEA. Most parts would never qualify for a Severity of 1, and Detection of 5 comes close to requiring near-error proofed systems. Not always feasible, unless they are still using the old 2nd ed FMEA tables (God Forbid).
Hi Hjiling,

Understand what you're saying. However, looking back at our customer requirement on FMEA and trying to understand the rationale behind why our customer wanted to put in the criteria.

I would say this would not be done without any good reason.

Let us look at this carefully, we all know that severity rate for failure will not be change except a new breakthrough in product or process technology that reduce the severity of failure. By knowing that, we could know that the only line of defense in controlling such failure from further deteorating would be looking at the occurrence and detection rate. Please note that I'm not trying to defend our customer as the requirement is making us suffer like nothing as well.

But if we look back at the efforts putting in to do that, we can be assurred that as an end customer that getting the parts would have sleepless night knowing their car can run well and in consistent way.

I do agree with you that not all prevention or detection can come close to error proof system. But if we do not start to think about improving our process especially when there's possible failure, as an industrial manufacturer, I believe we are going no where.

This is just my two cents. :eek:

BTW, I really appreciate your comment on this.

xfngrs

Quite Involved in Discussions
Re: It depends on your customer

Hi Ezorangee,

The question of potential non-compliance of not using a rating to the automotive group greatly dependance on your customer specific requirement.

Just to give you some example, in Ford CSR, it clearly stated that:

FMEAs

The organization shall prepare documented process FMEAs for all the Ford parts it manufactures. Where the organization is responsible for design, the organization shall prepare documented design FMEAs for all Ford parts it designs. FMEAs may be written for families of parts, where typically the only difference in the parts is dimensional, not form, application or function. However, in all cases, use of family process FMEAs shall be approved by STA and use of family design FMEAs shall be approved by Ford Engineering. Suppliers are to provide copies of FMEA documents to Ford Motor Company upon request. Suppliers shall comply with the Ford FMEA Handbook requirements see FSP Library Services– (subsection FMEA). Suppliers complying with the Ford FMEA Handbook will meet the FMEA and related requirements of the Q1 Manufacturing Site Assessment. .

In this case, you need to follow the rating determined. Usually AIAG manuals will be a good source to start as what Hjiling has suggested.

Hope this help.:bigwave:
Does anyone know if GM has a FMEA specific ranking requirement? Or if they have a customer specific FMEA manual? We are not currently directly supplying to them and do not have access to GMsupplypower so I haven't been able to find anything.

B

Bill Ryan - 2007

Re: It depends on your customer

Does anyone know if GM has a FMEA specific ranking requirement? Or if they have a customer specific FMEA manual? We are not currently directly supplying to them and do not have access to GMsupplypower so I haven't been able to find anything.
I'm not sure how old this is and I don't think there should be an issue with posting it, but here is a GM ranking table.

Attachments

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D How to fill a Process FMEA - Three columns - Severity, occurrence and Detection FMEA and Control Plans 16
K 4th Edition AIAG FMEA Occurrence, Severity and Detection Criteria for Plastics FMEA and Control Plans 1
D Severity or Occurrence? Performing an FMEA on Motorcycle Operation FMEA and Control Plans 9
L FMEA Occurrence, Severity and Detection Criteria FMEA and Control Plans 3
I Ford FMEA requirements for Severity and Occurrence Rankings Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
Y Severity, Occurrence and Detection FMEA Ranking Tables - Guidelines? FMEA and Control Plans 8
X Customer Service FMEA - Specifically Customer Care / Severity Rankings Service Industry Specific Topics 3
S What should the FMEA Severity for SC & CC Characteristics be? FMEA and Control Plans 5
N AIAG 4th ed. FMEA Manual "Fit" Changed to "Appearance" - Fit severity? FMEA and Control Plans 2
G Severity in Process FMEA for Rework Process FMEA and Control Plans 1
S FMEA's - Severity and Classification of Print Characteristics FMEA and Control Plans 1
C FMEA DOGMA about Severity - Am I right or Wrong? FMEA and Control Plans 2
M Severity Reduction in a Design FMEA (DFMEA) FMEA and Control Plans 26
P Chemical Purity Testing - FMEA Severity Scale FMEA and Control Plans 2
T FMEA Severity 9 &10 - Example of "with warning?" FMEA and Control Plans 6
A AIAG Design FMEA Severity Rankings - Noncompliance Government Regulation? FMEA and Control Plans 9
G FMEA Severity Ranking for an Automotive Audio System FMEA and Control Plans 9
Chennaiite FMEA Severity Rating for Potential Manufacturing Effect mentioned in the FMEA manual FMEA and Control Plans 9
kedarg6500 FMEA Severity Scale - Higher for Failure at Customer's or End-Customer's place? FMEA and Control Plans 19
M FMEA Severity Ratings for Health Care Information System FMEA and Control Plans 10
L FMEA - Should a severity of 9 or 10 be always followed by recommended actions? FMEA and Control Plans 2
S FMEA Severity of 9 or 10 - Shower does not operate FMEA and Control Plans 13
M FMEA: Which Severity, Occurrance, Detection scale in healthcare? FMEA and Control Plans 3
M PFMEA Severity - What is Process FMEA Severity estimation based on? FMEA and Control Plans 77
S FMEA Severity Rating - Will a Process Design Change also Change the Severity Rating? FMEA and Control Plans 21
B Automotive Severity 10 - Supplier Response - FMEA for an electronic product FMEA and Control Plans 8
R FMEA for Process Planning - Travelers - Severity, Occurrance, Detection FMEA and Control Plans 10
T Process FMEA (Failure Modes Effects Analysis) Severity Rating and RPN IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 17
Y FMEA Ranking and Prioritization - Failure Modes with higher severity first? FMEA and Control Plans 21
Kevin Mader FMEA Severity Index - Leading contributor to the RPN value FMEA and Control Plans 9
Y FMEA link to Control Plan frequency and sample size FMEA and Control Plans 8
A FMEA Software IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
Dan Pare Ford CSR Update (FMEA's) - January 2022 FMEA and Control Plans 7
H RPN in AIaG-VDA FMEA Manual FMEA and Control Plans 1
M Process FMEA for Laser Cutting/Press Brake/Welding FMEA and Control Plans 2
L Looking for Control Plan and FMEA Stamping process FMEA and Control Plans 2
OpExPro AIAG VDA FMEA Rating Tables FMEA and Control Plans 5
OpExPro The note at the bottom of DFMEA occurrence tables in AIAG VDA FMEA FMEA and Control Plans 0
Q FMEA and Risk assessment in Microsoft Access FMEA and Control Plans 6
W FMEA - Current control and occurrence rating FMEA and Control Plans 3
J FMEA Handbook 2019 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
J Process FMEA Template with examples - Cold and Hot Forged components FMEA and Control Plans 4
B Why the Greek god Hephaestus should have done a design FMEA (DFMEA) on his giant robot APQP and PPAP 1
P Design FMEA - Detection Rating criteria ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
J Which OEM or customers are now requiring the new AIAG/VDA FMEA format? FMEA and Control Plans 7
C AIAG/VDA FMEA - Is the new better? FMEA and Control Plans 0
I Does anybody use Detection in medical device Design FMEA? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 25
P VDA AIAG FMEA - Slides for Quality Audience FMEA and Control Plans 4
P Design FMEA for Industrial Machinery FMEA and Control Plans 3
B AIAG/VDA’s FMEA Manual Is a Major Advance (my take on this subject) FMEA and Control Plans 2