Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo Especially for content not in the forum
Such as files in the Cove "Members" Directory
Social Distancing - It's not just YOUR life - It's ALL of OUR lives!
Me <——————— 6 Feet ———————-> You

FMEA Severity Ranking for an Automotive Audio System

G

Gavin_zou

Dear Friends:

I'm working on a automotive company, which produces audio system and it is not related to safety and car's basic function. Thus, if my product is malfunction at customer side, for customer, which severity number should be proper? 6 or 8?

My consultant thought it should be 8, because the basic function of my product is failed. But I think even my product is failed to function, it will be affect car's baisc funtion, so the severity can be 6.

Thanks your comments in advance!
Gavin

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dear Friends:

I'm working on a automotive company, which produces audio system and it is not related to safety and car's basic function. Thus, if my product is malfunction at customer side, for customer, which severity number should be proper? 6 or 8?

My consultant thought it should be 8, because the basic function of my product is failed. But I think even my product is failed to function, it will be affect car's baisc funtion, so the severity can be 6.

Gavin
I would always keep my product and the effects it has directly with the user in a FMEA activity. This way helps to focus your products performance more better and the results of the FMEA more effective.
What if the audio system fails and I am driving with the local weather update live radio and your product failure gets me at a spot of concern due to it ... ?

D

David DeLong

Dear Friends:

Gavin
This is pretty easy in this situation - 8.

We are talking about the audio system completely failing and not the engine so I agree with your consultant. Please review the AIAG FMEA 3rd edition which states the product is an 8 if there is a "loss of primary function".

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Dear Friends:

Gavin
Welcome to the Cove. :D

Unless your customer requires you to use the rating scales shown in the AIAG FMEA manual, you are free to choose your own. The manual says that your team should agree on a rating system and use it consistently.

Chennaiite

Never-say-die
Trusted
This is pretty easy in this situation - 8.

We are talking about the audio system completely failing and not the engine so I agree with your consultant. Please review the AIAG FMEA 3rd edition which states the product is an 8 if there is a "loss of primary function".
IMO, 8 may be an exaggeration in this case. In AIAG Manual 4th Edition's opinion Severity 8 is corressponding to "Vehicle inoperable" within paranthesis to "Loss of primary function". I would go for 6.

Agree on 6.
The basic function of the car is not affected, even though the final customes ( who will drive the car) will be strongly disappointed the same, but he/she will not risk the life.

A

abdo379

I work at wiring Harness Company its safety product, if I discover some defects in the assembly line and these defects can't deliver to client because we make final electrical test
My question is what the severity of this defect?

Chennaiite

Never-say-die
Trusted
I work at wiring Harness Company its safety product, if I discover some defects in the assembly line and these defects can't deliver to client because we make final electrical test
My question is what the severity of this defect?
Never consider your detection/prevention controls when you analyse the effect of the Potential failure mode - Nevertheless, IMO, sometimes logically you can afford to do so.

But in your case, there is no doubt whatsoever (for me), the effect at Customer line is evaluated by considering that the defect reaches the Customer, despite the electrical testing. I have personally come across defects like cross connection, pull-out, etc in Wiring harness reaching the Car line after passing through the testing - Causes may be different. This is another reason why I prefer testing shall not be taken into account for your case.

S

sudhir.mahajan

Yes, Chennaiite. You r right.
FMEA is the document getting derived initially before product manufacturing & before establishment of the line.
While generation of FMEA, we have to capture all the defects & put the rankings for defects regardless of the facilities to be provided on line for detection/ prevention.
So in your case also as Chennaiite explained, you need to put the severity ranking regardless of the detection/ prevention at your process.

Top Bottom