Following AS9102 for FAI Requirements - Does EVERY Component Need Its Own FAI?

AS9102

How have any of you responded to your customer's request for following AS9102 for FAI requirements? I'm specifically interested in manufacturers of assembled product with vast quantities of internal parts. AS9102 states that every component within the ASSY needs to have the full fledged FAI. This would required HUGE resources and I can't imaging that everyone out there is accepting this requirement. Please, Please, what are your comments?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
I share your concern on this issue too. Our products are electronic and electro-mechanical assemblies that have hundreds of components and sub-assemblies. First article requirements are an area where we continually struggle to comply regardless of the standard or customer/regulatory requirement. A couple years ago, Boeing sent a letter to their suppliers chastising them for not complying with the FAI requirements within D1-9000. This forced us to clean up our act……………………somewhat. Our Boeing rep. coached us to lessen the work load by flowing the requirement down to suppliers when possible and to only do FAI’s “on the delta’s” following engineering changes. It’s still a struggle but I believe it is important to comply for obvious reasons beyond just satisfying the customer. Make sure that your quality system specifies exactly who is responsible for FAI’s. Ours did not, so it was like three out-fielders going for a fly ball!

We make many of the component parts that go into our assemblies. Our assemblies could contain in excess of 1000 pieces. So, we cannot flow very much of this down to our suppliers. Even if we could, we'd still be tasked with compiling all the information into the FAI package.

We do first articles on all the components, but we definitely don't keep a copy of the routing and everything else that was associated with the part, though we could electronically retrieve it if necessary. My understanding of AS9102 is that the first article on the upper level part number also contain the first articles for the components. Could you imagine, 1000+ first articles just for one first article package? I just don't know where everyone will get all this manpower.

[This message has been edited by dj (edited 13 July 2001).]

You are definitely correct in that it will require extra work!

As far as new purchased components, you should be able to flow down the entire requirement in the same manner as the automotive industry has done with PPAP. Then you would just need to review the FAI submissions for compliance (along with a confirmation of the first lot received) and maintain them in hard copy or electronic format.

Likewise, your customers should force the issue for end items.

I believe that the real work will be required at the sub-assembly level and I am not sure that there is an easy answer. Maybe somebody else knows of a good creative method for complying without having to add extra resources.

BTW, if you have not already done so, acquire a good high-speed scanner and go electronic to satisfy the record maintenance requirements.

Yeah, this site is a bit slow sometimes. It has picked up somewhat in the last month or so. It should get busier when the new revision of the standard is released and registrars start performing audits.

Have you heard of any companys being certified to AS 9100 yet?

A

Aeroman

Regarding AS9102. The response is correct. Aerospace companies are now just catching up with the automotive people with respect to process control and process proving. The next step will be AS9103 that is like APQP.

As far as complete documentation for AS9102 that is something that can be by customer agreement and standard parts (nuts, bolts and washer type stuff) can be excluded.

A

Aeroman

There are several Regisrtars that have been approved to Register companies to AS9100, but some are waiting for the new AS9100A that is based on ISO 9000:2000 to be released this month. There are some companies already Certified to the 1999 version.

Hey, thanks for your input.

I have heard the same rumblings too. How do you think an APQP type document will fit into the scheme? It seems like that area is already partially covered by the RTCA documents DO-178 for software and DO-254 for hardware. Our design control/advanced quality planning system is based on a combination of ISO/AS and the aforementioned requirements.

Question for Aeroman? I know this isn't ISO related but I just needed to ask. Does your name have any significance with regards to a certain rock group that just got inducted into the R&R Hall of Fame? Or, is it just aerospace related?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Root Cause Failure Analysis - Not following Customer packaging Specification Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 5
M Informational The USFDA Continues to Remind Facilities of the Importance of Following Duodenoscope Reprocessing Instructions: FDA Safety Communication Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Medical Device News Brexit - Withdrawal Agreement and Political Declaration laid before Parliament following political agreement. EU Medical Device Regulations 4
D Design FMEA for a component - Should I make the following assumptions? FMEA and Control Plans 7
S. Moore Record Retention - How long must a company keep the following records? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 17
S Supplier Classifications - Please give me a good definition of the following terms ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
K Nonconformance on training - Not following own processes (IATF 16949) Internal Auditing 14
P Is the next revision of ISO 15378 following the High Level Structure? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 5
M Please explain the following Automotive Acronyms IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
C Following Order of Work Instructions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 23
M CAPA due to Consumer not following Maintenance Instructions... Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
Crimpshrine13 ISO/TS 16949 CBs & Auditors not following up on the schedules IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 43
R Which of the following indicators is important for Operations - Ppk, Cpk, or Cpm? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 15
T What to do when Employees are not following Instructions Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 65
F ANSI ASQ Z1.4 - Is the following process acceptable? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
M QSR - Design Control on Existing Device not Designed following QSR 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
R QA Manager and Disciplining Employees for not following Processes Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 28
I Medical Device Registration details for the following Countries ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
M Sampling Inspection at QA - Inputs on the following sampling plan Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
N My FDA auditor asked the following: Other US Medical Device Regulations 12
Q How to determine the average baseline for the following data in SPC Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 3
M 7.6.2 Revisions following Engineering Changes - What is the right meaning? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Marc Software gives visual representation of who?s following you online After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 1
Ronen E European Commission calls for action following PIP's Breast Implant Saga EU Medical Device Regulations 1
T Employee not following Purchasing Process Other Medical Device Related Standards 27
Marc US east coast in chaos following rare October snowstorm - 2011 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 14
T Is the following flow for Training Needs Analysis correct? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 6
L Consultant not following Process Approach ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 34
Q Can I use Regression Analysis in the following scenario Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 18
quality1 Supplier Disqualification - High Rejects and not following established Procedures ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
M Change Order Process - Stake holders not following through - Suggestions wanted Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
D Manufacturing Execution Systems (MES) - People Not Following Work Process (WPs) Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
L Fitted Splined Connections following DIN 5480 - Inspection Problems Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
eternal_atlas Not following the Procedures is a Nonconformance? Sales department General Auditing Discussions 61
H Meeting following an interview, what should I expect? Career and Occupation Discussions 15
T Labeling Control and trouble with labelers not following procedure ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
Ajit Basrur Teva recalls drug following Jackson death probe Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
A Audit NC (nonconformance) for not following guidelines on calibration! General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
S Consequences of Shipping product with label not following CE rules EU Medical Device Regulations 2
Q Corrective Action - CAPA - Root Cause - Not following the training procedure! Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 13
S Why people not following SPC charts regularly Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 10
G Not sequentially following steps in a work instruction Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 85
Q Work Environment - Which of the following is to be addressed as nonconformity? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 25
Z How to Establish Quality Manual Not Following the Structure of the Standard? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 3
D How do we interpret the following XmR Trend Chart data? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
L Corrective action following a wrong answer of the auditee ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
T In the following statement, what does "Z" stand for? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
Q Failure where the Root Cause was the Material Handler Not Following Procedure Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 20
Q Personnel Not Following Procedures - How do you write up an audit finding? Internal Auditing 43
A Non-conformance logged following a TS16949 Stage 2 audit - APQP Control Plan IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15