For any programmers in the Cove - Web based ISO System?

Pcool

Involved In Discussions
I'm looking to improve my quality programs (for ISO 9001) by integrating them into a browser based application.
I wanted to know if anyone at the cove has built/maintain their own quality software and if there or any good resources I should look at?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
J

james_r

Programmer here :bigwave:

We use SharePoint. I've discussed this with out auditor and it does seem like the most commonly used solution.

it is a complicated solution and making it fit with your way of doing things can be costly time and expertise-wise.

kgott

Quite Involved in Discussions
I'm looking to improve my quality programs (for ISO 9001) by integrating them into a browser based application.
I wanted to know if anyone at the cove has built/maintain their own quality software and if there or any good resources I should look at?
Our system is Sharepoint based and I'm not at all convinced that its a good system.

I think you will be far better off and take Jennifer's advise and read up on Pancho's work, he is the expert on wiki based QA systems on this forum at this time. I suspect you will find using a wiki far better experience than Sharepoint.

I am by no means an expert on Sharepoint as this job is the first time I have used it but I find it an adminstrative straight jacket. I find that documents and accessibility are designed not around the needs of users but around the needs of SharePoint.

Pcool

Involved In Discussions
Programmer here :bigwave:

We use SharePoint. I've discussed this with out auditor and it does seem like the most commonly used solution.

it is a complicated solution and making it fit with your way of doing things can be costly time and expertise-wise.
Which computer languages do you know?

I was looking at SharePoint and it looks good, but I want to stay away from proprietary software (we already have issues with using vb6 on newer versions of Windows)

quality1

Involved In Discussions
I am not sure how big your company is or how IT secure your internal server regarding access to file folders. We created an intranet (internet explorer) where all documents are converted to PDf with exception of forms. There's a front page created with html and has hyperlinks to other pages including the pdf documents. Anyone in the company can access the intranet as long as they are provided the link to the front page. I hope this makes sense, it provides a central point of control and only certain employees has full access to the root files where documents are revised, obsolete and upload. anyone else see pages as read only. If you need more information, please contact me on my private email if I can help!

J

JaneB

Our system is Sharepoint based and I'm not at all convinced that its a good system.
Sharepoint is just the medium or the tool - similar to the way that Word is a tool one uses to write documents in.

It is only - ever!- as good as the person who designs and sets it up. I've seen plenty of bad and plain awful uses of it -just as I've seen some awful documents written in Word (it's not a perfect analogy, but it helps).

It can be done well and I've seen it done well. But to get that, you need someone who understands how to use it and use it well to structure things so that they're useful.

The default is that it's left to the IT person/department who often doesn't and/or to someone with little knowledge of either Sharepoint or the design and use of online documentation. With predictably poor results.

A wiki can be badly done too. But don't conflate the contents with the container.

J

JaneB

Is your question about putting just the documentation online (procedures, policies etc) or are you actually talking about building the workflow/processes into an application? Because they're two very different things.

Pcool

Involved In Discussions
Is your question about putting just the documentation online (procedures, policies etc) or are you actually talking about building the workflow/processes into an application? Because they're two very different things.
I'm going for the whole enchilada. I've been slowly refining the amount of systems my company currently uses to create a product. Eventually I want it to be one MRP/Quality system.

I was inspired by the wiki idea and started developing in PHP/mySQL a couple weeks ago. I'll let the forum know how it turns out.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Salary / Rates for CMM Programmers in UK - Quick Question Career and Occupation Discussions 5
Sidney Vianna Any Pickleball player at The Cove? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
Marc GDPR - EU Directive 2016/679 and the Elsmar Cove Discussion Forum Elsmar Cove Forum ToS and Forum Policies 3
N When they make the movie " Elsmar Cove " .... After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 17
BradM Why I am so appreciative of the Elsmar Cove Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 7
Marc Plagiarism in Elsmar Cove Forum Posts Elsmar Cove Forum ToS and Forum Policies 0
BradM The Cove's Sister: Quality Forum Online Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
M Thank you Marc and the Elsmar Cove Moderators and Members! Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 10
Sidney Vianna Covegratulations to The Cove and Marc Smith - 19 years online January 6, 2015 Covegratulations 18
BradM The Greatness of Elsmar Cove Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
J Back to the Cove - Oil and Gas Industry Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1
B Any forum at par with Elsmar Cove for Network and System Administration? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
T Are there any members of the Chartered Quality Institute - UK on the Cove ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 11
R Covegratulations to The Cove: 18 years old! Covegratulations 3
somashekar Father of Elsmar Cove hits second SILVER Covegratulations 16
SteelMaiden Hello Cove! Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 7
N Elsmar Cove Forum - What an amazing place Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 8
K Is reading the Elsmar Cove a legitimate work related activity Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 19
somashekar ~~ The Elsmar Cove Birthday - Online for 17 years! ~~ Covegratulations 16
B Why don't we have more representation from Registrars at The Cove? Registrars and Notified Bodies 14
somashekar Link to important websites within the Cove Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 1
Richard Regalado Elsmar Cove BCP - Continuity of the forum when disaster strikes Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 11
H Happy Birthday to the Elsmar Cove Forum - January 2012 Covegratulations 25
BradM Sidney Vianna - Ten years at the Cove! Covegratulations 23
harrysons Thanks to Elsmar Cove - Successful TS16949:2009 Certification Covegratulations 10
Crusader I miss the Cove! Crusader Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 42
BradM Happy Birthday Elsmar Cove!! 15 Years old Covegratulations 44
G What should an Elsmar Cove X-mas tree look like? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
J What Has The Elsmar Cove Done For You?? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 30
H Elsmar Cove Statistics Found Online Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
S Quality Policy - What is the Elsmar Cove's Quality Policy? Elsmar Cove Forum ToS and Forum Policies 8
H Happy 14th Birthday to the Cove - January 2010 Covegratulations 16
P What is the meaning of your Elsmar Cove Forum User Name? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 58
B In terms of age, who are the youngest and oldest Elsmar Cove forum members? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 112
Sidney Vianna Does The Cove aid in conflict of interest? Registrars and Notified Bodies 14
somashekar Elsmar Cove reference in your CV 's ... Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 8
N Cabot Cove vs. Elsmar Cove Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 7
Marc Privacy - Elsmar Cove Privacy Policy and Statement Elsmar Cove Forum ToS and Forum Policies 0
Marc Privacy Policy - Elsmar Cove Privacy (and Cookie) Policy - 090405 Elsmar Cove Forum ToS and Forum Policies 4
ScottK Elsmar Cove iPhone users After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 39
Sidney Vianna Jim Wynne reaches another Cove milestone: COVEGRATULATIONS! Covegratulations 49
BradM The Elsmar Cove Coffee Shop Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 359
Coury Ferguson Happy Birthday Elsmar Cove - 13 years online Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 19
Marc General Elsmar Cove Forum Participation Rules and Guidelines Elsmar Cove Forum ToS and Forum Policies 21
Marc Your Opinions and thoughts about the Elsmar Cove forum - Why do you visit the forum? Forum News and General Information 50
D ASQ Members in Elsmar Cove ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 64
Crusader Hosting Japanese Business Visitors - Need the Cove members advice / opinion Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 43
ScottK A thread for Cove cyclists... Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 15
L VDA Product Submission Form - Please help a Cove newbie answer a VDA question VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 12
Marc Elsmar Cove 'Sparklers' Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 24