For any programmers in the Cove - Web based ISO System?

Pcool

Involved In Discussions
I'm looking to improve my quality programs (for ISO 9001) by integrating them into a browser based application.
I wanted to know if anyone at the cove has built/maintain their own quality software and if there or any good resources I should look at?

J

james_r

Programmer here :bigwave:

We use SharePoint. I've discussed this with out auditor and it does seem like the most commonly used solution.

it is a complicated solution and making it fit with your way of doing things can be costly time and expertise-wise.

K

kgott

I'm looking to improve my quality programs (for ISO 9001) by integrating them into a browser based application.
I wanted to know if anyone at the cove has built/maintain their own quality software and if there or any good resources I should look at?

Our system is Sharepoint based and I'm not at all convinced that its a good system.

I think you will be far better off and take Jennifer's advise and read up on Pancho's work, he is the expert on wiki based QA systems on this forum at this time. I suspect you will find using a wiki far better experience than Sharepoint.

I am by no means an expert on Sharepoint as this job is the first time I have used it but I find it an adminstrative straight jacket. I find that documents and accessibility are designed not around the needs of users but around the needs of SharePoint.

Pcool

Involved In Discussions
Programmer here :bigwave:

We use SharePoint. I've discussed this with out auditor and it does seem like the most commonly used solution.

it is a complicated solution and making it fit with your way of doing things can be costly time and expertise-wise.

Which computer languages do you know?

I was looking at SharePoint and it looks good, but I want to stay away from proprietary software (we already have issues with using vb6 on newer versions of Windows)

Q

quality1

I am not sure how big your company is or how IT secure your internal server regarding access to file folders. We created an intranet (internet explorer) where all documents are converted to PDf with exception of forms. There's a front page created with html and has hyperlinks to other pages including the pdf documents. Anyone in the company can access the intranet as long as they are provided the link to the front page. I hope this makes sense, it provides a central point of control and only certain employees has full access to the root files where documents are revised, obsolete and upload. anyone else see pages as read only. If you need more information, please contact me on my private email if I can help!

J

JaneB

Our system is Sharepoint based and I'm not at all convinced that its a good system.

Sharepoint is just the medium or the tool - similar to the way that Word is a tool one uses to write documents in.

It is only - ever!- as good as the person who designs and sets it up. I've seen plenty of bad and plain awful uses of it -just as I've seen some awful documents written in Word (it's not a perfect analogy, but it helps).

It can be done well and I've seen it done well. But to get that, you need someone who understands how to use it and use it well to structure things so that they're useful.

The default is that it's left to the IT person/department who often doesn't and/or to someone with little knowledge of either Sharepoint or the design and use of online documentation. With predictably poor results.

A wiki can be badly done too. But don't conflate the contents with the container.

J

JaneB

Is your question about putting just the documentation online (procedures, policies etc) or are you actually talking about building the workflow/processes into an application? Because they're two very different things.

Pcool

Involved In Discussions
Is your question about putting just the documentation online (procedures, policies etc) or are you actually talking about building the workflow/processes into an application? Because they're two very different things.

I'm going for the whole enchilada. I've been slowly refining the amount of systems my company currently uses to create a product. Eventually I want it to be one MRP/Quality system.

I was inspired by the wiki idea and started developing in PHP/mySQL a couple weeks ago. I'll let the forum know how it turns out.

Top Bottom