Ford Called Worst in Choosing Suppliers

We are a Ford Supplier and to us Ford is:

• Not a supplier, but I want to see the poll results.

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • There should be a website titled FordSucks.com but Ford owns the domain name.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Always a fire fight.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Ford is a pain, but worth the effort.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • About the same as the rest.

• Easier to work with than our average customer.

• We are very happy with our relationship with Ford.

• Total voters
A

Anonymous Coward

From the Dayton (Ohio) Daily News
http://www.activedayton.com/ddn/

Business Section (print)
30 May 2002

Ford Called Worst in Choosing Suppliers

Detroit – Ford Motor Company places more emphasis on cost than quality in choosing suppliers and is the worst of six major auto manufacturers in North America in making late engineering changes, according to the preliminary results of a study to be released next month.

The annual OEM / Supplier Benchmark Study was conducted by Birmingham based Planning Perspectives Inc. and includes responses by more than 225 suppliers, the company said.

But Ford says it is working with its suppliers to satisfy the need to both cut costs and improve quality.

"The only way we can meet our quality and cost objectives is by working in concert for our mutual benefit and, most importantly, for our customers," said a statement issued by Ford on Wednesday. "Our efforts have produced some progress and good results but we also are aware that there still is a great more to achieve."
<hr>The unsettling thing here is the headline. It gives the impression that Ford is choosing the wrong (bad) suppliers while the reality is Ford's priorities in choosing suppliers are screwed up. Nor does it mention Ford's attitude when Ford people 'work with' suppliers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor
T

tarheel

Dealing with Ford is like trying to teach a pig to whistle. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig. I can't think of a customer in my 20 years of automotive that is more difficult to deal with. All the recalls and quality complaints are of their own making. They deserve all the bad publicity they get, maybe it will knock some sense into them. :mad:

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
I About Died Laughing!

tarheel said:

Dealing with Ford is like trying to teach a pig to whistle. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.
I about fell off my chair laughing when I saw this! Good one!

R

Roger Eastin

Yeah, that quote reminded me of the Leo Kottke tune: When the Shrimps Learn to Whistle. That quote was taken from a speech by Kruschev back in the 50's when he stated the chances of Russian warships in the Bosporus. Where did the pig whistling phrase come from?

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Atul Khandekar said:

Haven't had any experience with Ford so far. Are they that bad?
Depends upon your STA, I guess. My experiences have been fair to poor, but not a total nightmare. Normally they're confused enough that I have an edge.

R

Roger Eastin

Maybe the fact that the Big 3 can be registered to TS16949 (unlike QS9000) will help them with their STA function! Of course, maybe this is like teaching a pig to whistle after you fed it crackers! (I still like that teaching a pig to whistle thing.....)

T

tarheel

Teaching a pig to whistle

Wish I could remember where the pig thing came from, somewhere in my lost memory. I really hope the new management makes some changes, but I'm not to hopeful. I've worked with virtually all the Ford divisions, and they all have the same stupid concepts. I owned a F-150 pickup that had to go in for one of its many warranty recalls. Got the truck back, within 100 miles the engine blew up. They kept it for 5 weeks while they tried to figure out how to blame me so they would not have to pay for it. Eventually I went high enough in the chain to get it fixed, but traded it for a Toyota as soon as I got it back. :thedeal:

Make a bet every day, you may be walking around lucky and not know it!

We sell products to all of the major auto makers. From my experiences none of them are any worse or any better than Ford. Everyone has their good days and bad days. And yes, every company has a certain arrogant individual that no one likes to work with.
The one thing that gripes me the most is buying product from a company that claims to be a tier I QS9000 certified supplier and approved by the OEM that trys to tell me the type of documentation I need or don't need.

I

ISOCOP

We just got a letter stating that our products are no longer going to be tracked for Q1 status. We are a Q1, ISO9001, QS9000,TE, and after our cert audit, recomended for ISO14001 certification. What burns me is that we do everything that is asked of us, and then are told that we can no longer fly the Q1 flag after Dec 2002. :frust: Oh well they are not our only customer and our certs help us to.

ISOCOP

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Marc Ford - Self-parking technology called Fully Assisted Parking Aid World News 1
Marc Ford's newest SUV is B-I-G - Tentatively called "Everest" World News 0
C Ford's MMOG/le Template wanted Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
H FORD's project milestone acronyms Customer and Company Specific Requirements 4
R Ford Q1 Manufacturing Site assessment result Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
Ron Rompen Ford Method - Position Capability with MMC Modifier Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 14
M Ford Q1 Revocation Recovery Process Customer and Company Specific Requirements 5
A Is normal for FORD EU ask for the PSW every year APQP and PPAP 5
C A couple CSR (Customer Specific Requirements) questions... Esp. Ford & Toyota Customer and Company Specific Requirements 5
V What document to use to document Welding PV testing - Supplier to Ford APQP and PPAP 1
E Ford Phased PPAP and T2 timing APQP and PPAP 1
S Where to get Ford document FAP 03-111 FMEA and Control Plans 10
Q Ford's Q1 Score Prediction Customer and Company Specific Requirements 2
V Ford Dimensional Tag Characteristics requirements APQP and PPAP 2
R Ford Motor Company new CSR document - May 2014 Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
K Q1-Ford - Does anyone have any Q1 templates? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
Ron Rompen Ford Paint Audit Checklist Customer and Company Specific Requirements 4
S ASTM-D4000 & FORD "ZW" Call-Outs Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
S Dimensional Issues because of the last years FORD Recall Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
J JMP Gauge R&R with FORD MSA Data Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
A Statistical Software Calibration using Ford's "Sample Calibration File" Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
V Where I can find an AAR form on Ford Covisint? APQP and PPAP 1
Marc Ford is introducing an Aluminum F-150 Pick 'em Up Truck World News 1
V Webasto Ford Exceptions Form APQP and PPAP 1
M Advise on R Chart with Ppk of 17.85 for Ford Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 37
V What Ford Phase PPAP Level should DV testing be submitted? APQP and PPAP 1
Stijloor Ford - June 2013 Customer Specific Requirements (CSR) Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
T What innovations led to Ford's production line? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
Ajit Basrur On Henry Ford's 150th Birthday, His Greatest Insight Has Been Tragically Forgotten Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 11
D How long must we provide service parts to Ford? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
S Ford Motor Engineering Change Level definition Customer and Company Specific Requirements 6
C Will Ford accept AS9100 certification in place of ISO9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
R Ford SQDCME manual Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
D What is the Ford Troubled Supplier group? Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
V Ford SREA (Supplier Request for Engineering Approval) 2007 revision Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
C New Ford CQI 15 Rollout Requirement and reference to ESBC24-5005-AB IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
D What is a Ford Single Scale? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 2
J Ford changing their acronym for Significant Characteristics from HIC to CTQ Customer and Company Specific Requirements 2
K How to fill out an SREA (Supplier Request for Engineering Approval) form at Ford? APQP and PPAP 3
G Ford - Type 1 Gage Study MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) acceptable? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
xfngrs What does the Ford Europe acronym ISRD stand for? APQP and PPAP 6
V Where to find FORD Specific PPAP Training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
M For Bulk Material (eg. paint), are there any guidelines for Ford PPAP Requirements? APQP and PPAP 1
J Ford Acronym - What the acronym "ym" means in Ford lingo? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
B FORD CPA (Capacity Planning Analysis) User Guide for Suppliers Customer and Company Specific Requirements 13
C Does anyone have the Ford Supplier Requirements Manual (including Q1)? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 2
B TS16949 Annual PPAP Submission Requirements for Ford and Chrysler Parts IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
V FORD Phased PPAPs Information APQP and PPAP 3
M Chrysler, GM, and Ford Tooling Records Requirements - What are Tooling Records? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
F Requesting Help in Identifying Ford Suppliers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6