Ford's requirements for Lumens/Lighting for Visual Inspection

al40

Quite Involved in Discussions
Does anyone have an idea what Ford's requirements are for lumens/lighting for visual inspection?

Thanks,
Al40

Last edited by a moderator:

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource
Re: Inspection lumens for Ford

I think it would be rather presumptuous to have a lighting standard - each inspection location could require very different requirements. How about visual under black light? Get my point? Now, that said, having your standards -for each area - is a good idea. The reason why this even comes up is the same reason why automotive ever wants something put into a standard - somebody used the excuse one too many times as a reason why something bad happened. Here, it is likely somebody used the excuse there was not enough light to do the inspection and the operator missed it. Usually, somebody drops in a 100% inspection on line as a corrective action - but does not provide adequate lighting to do it in that location.

Preventive checking of the lighting with a light meter is also a good idea. Many people do not realize that their lighting lumens drops off - slowly - over time. Hi pressure lighting is chronic for that - and you don't notice. It rarely "burns out" like old incandescent. So, after a while people start putting up auxiliary lighting - when all they needed to do was change their ceiling bulbs!

Attached is an excerpt from the Extech light meter manual - really broad brush....but that may be appropriate.

Attachments

• Light Levels.jpg
    Light Levels.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 2,661

Ajit Basrur

Leader
Admin

Does anyone have an idea what Ford's requirements are for lumens/lighting for visual inspection?

Thanks,
Al40

If you serve Ford customer, dont they give you the Visual Inspection standards ? That would help you understand customer requirements well too :)

al40

I think it would be rather presumptuous to have a lighting standard - each inspection location could require very different requirements. How about visual under black light? Get my point? Now, that said, having your standards -for each area - is a good idea. The reason why this even comes up is the same reason why automotive ever wants something put into a standard - somebody used the excuse one too many times as a reason why something bad happened. Here, it is likely somebody used the excuse there was not enough light to do the inspection and the operator missed it. Usually, somebody drops in a 100% inspection on line as a corrective action - but does not provide adequate lighting to do it in that location.

Preventive checking of the lighting with a light meter is also a good idea. Many people do not realize that their lighting lumens drops off - slowly - over time. Hi pressure lighting is chronic for that - and you don't notice. It rarely "burns out" like old incandescent. So, after a while people start putting up auxiliary lighting - when all they needed to do was change their ceiling bulbs!

Attached is an excerpt from the Extech light meter manual - really broad brush....but that may be appropriate.

HI,lk I cna't see the document xcan you repost it?

Thanks,
al40

al40

If you serve Ford customer, dont they give you the Visual Inspection standards ? That would help you understand customer requirements well too :)

No, they're not my customer I was just wondering what they use as guidelines for visual inspections.

Al40

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

HI!

Which international or automotive standard mention this requirements? Would you be so kind and give me the standard name an number?

Thanks.

oki.

Welcome to the Cove. :bigwave:

The attachment in question is from a light meter manual and gives typical values for various applications. If you have applications where illumination can affect inspection results, you need to determine what the requirements are and apply them consistently. If you have customers who also might be affected by type/quality of illumination, you need to come to an agreement with them regarding the criteria for illumination.

Last edited:

okamoto

Registered

Welcome to the Cove. :bigwave:

The attachment in question is from a light meter manual and gives typical values for various applications. If you have applications where illumination can affect inspection results, you need to determine what the requirements are and apply them consistently. If you have customers who also might be affected by type/quality of illumination, you need to come to an agreement with them regarding the criterial for illumination.

Thank you for your answer.:bigwave: But what can I do if the customer don't like to make any agreement with me? If they found any deviation on the plastic part with 2500 lux, SQA engineer send to me the complaint. If they found any deviation from 10cm distance on the part, SQA engineer send to me the complaint. The part is an turn signal lever in the car. As I see VDA 16 will be support me, but it's not in the web. :( Have you got any experiance with the VDA 16 standard? Is it good basic to start the discussion with the customer? Thank you for your answer. B.R. oki :thanks:

Top Bottom