Form Change Control - Should forms be cosigned?

D

darkafar

Our customer told us to follow the cosigning procedure when the forms are changed. I think the best way to show this is to let the cosigners sign the forms. This brought a question, should the forms be cosigned? Most forms I saw don’t have cosigners’ signatures. Most people I meet are against the idea. ISO/TR10013 did not say the forms should have cosigners’ signatures.

Then how can I meet customer’s requirement-the forms should go through the cosigning procedure? I think the customer’s requirement is quite reasonable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
ISO/TR 10013:2001
Guidelines for quality management system documentation
[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]International Organization for Standardization (Technical Report)
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]01-Jul-2001 [/SIZE][/FONT]
I am not familiar with any Standard requiring "cosigning." In nearly 40 years of dealing with Quality Systems, I have seen some paperwork processes which called for redundant signatures.

The process of "document approval" for new or revised documents may be what your customer refers to. We may have a translation issue when you speak of "forms" - most forms are merely data entry sheets and may be frequently modified for typography, letterhead, etc., but the data to be entered remains the same whether the data entry box is at the top or bottom of the page. Such minor changes may be left for only one person to change and approve, BUT the change must be communicated to EVERY person concerned and decision made whether to continue using old forms until they are used up or to withdraw old forms and issue the new ones.

I have some suspicions about the reason for the customer's request. I suspect there have been some instances of nonconformance or mixed use of old and new forms because the change was not communicated to everyone and old forms not withdrawn.

Alternately, if we are talking about documents other than data entry forms, a product or service could have been made to the old document instead of the new one. You indicate a relatively small organization. The customer may feel there is a high probablity one of the two cosigners would catch a mistaken use of wrong document.

Will you please tell us the circumstances surrounding customer' request?

D

darkafar

Our forms are kind of different. They are not merely data entry sheets. Some forms have important criteria printed on them, and the change of these criteria might invoke ECR. So the forms are used to entry data as well as to give a conclusion. I prefer to treat them like ordinary documents.

I justify the customer’s requirement, because some engineers seek to bypass the ECR procedure. If we leave the authority of changing forms to a single engineer, he might abuse this authority, and don't go through the ECR procedure.

There are indeed some instances of mixed use of old and new forms and the customer indeed discovered them. So we stipulated in the procedure that when the new forms are released, the old forms become obsolete at once, but the customer seems unsatisfied.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
In the case you describe, merely saying the documents are "obsolete" is no longer sufficient, since you got caught. You need a proactive process to collect old documents and have signoff from everyone who could possibly use the old document they are aware the old document is withdrawn and the new document is in effect.

Please research the concept "configuration management."

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R SaMD - Software as a Medical Device - Software change control form ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
S Change Control Form vs. Document Change Notification ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
S Is it possible to have a General Change Control SOP and Form? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
M Change Control Form - Approval process for cross departmental communication ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
D Design/Change Control Form Example and Advice Design and Development of Products and Processes 13
D Change Control Procedure and form / template - TS 16949 Clause 7.1.4 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
Ed Panek Relevant questions on Substantial Change Form CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
supadrai Informational Japan Minor Change Notification Application Form - Found it? Japan Medical Device Regulations 0
L Procedure Change Request Form - "ISO Procedures" Document Changes Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
B Process Change Notification (PCN) form to notify our customers of a change Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
K Form 42-2 for Document Initiation and Change Record - Template wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
D Launch Change Request Form vs. Engineering Change Form Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
H Example of DCR (document change request) form needed Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 14
J Looking for examples of "Temporary Change Request" form Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
M Temporary Process Change Form needed Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
H Formats for Master List of Quality Records (MQR) & Document Change Request Form (DCR) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
B Controlled Form Font Change - No information is being added or removed - Commments? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 20
S EMS Link to APQP - Added an EMS sign off to our Engineering Change Notice form Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 3
bryan willemot Chain of custody form for counterfeit parts AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
Casana Step 7 in AIAG/VDA FMEA form FMEA and Control Plans 17
M AS9102 Form 1 Questions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
J ISO 9001:2015 Is a Project Evaluation form necessary? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
G Use of Supplier's Corrective Action Form vs. Corporate Form Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
M Should there be another column in the Optimization section (step 6) of AIAG-VDA DFMEA form? FMEA and Control Plans 1
D Japan adverse event form Japan Medical Device Regulations 1
B Use an iso 9001/2015 form for api q1 systeme Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 5
M How to record the effects of adjacent systems (shown in boundary diagram) in the AIAG-VDA DFMEA form FMEA and Control Plans 0
M Prescription Form - Medical Devices US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
Q Measurement Equipment Revocation - Looking for a Disposal Form with Risk Assessment IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
Miner Reported content: Post in thread 'Form of real time study for establish shelf time' Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
A Form of real time study for establish shelf time Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
M GP-12 procedure form and requirements Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
E Any template/ form of Monitoring and Measurement of Processes and product to ISO 13485? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
D Faxback form versus amendment License for Class II Canada Medical Device Regulations 1
S Max and Min form diameter inspection IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Techilady Ford Special Characteristics Communication and Agreement Form (SCCAF) provides production requirements? FMEA and Control Plans 4
S Transitional Adolescent A and B - "CDRH PREMARKET REVIEW SUBMISSION COVER SHEET FORM FDA 3514" Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
P AS9102 Form 3 Inclusions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
John C. Abnet VDA 6.3 questionnaire form VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 5
K Generic preventive maintenance form wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
M Is it Necessary to Use Health Canada Form when Reporting? Canada Medical Device Regulations 1
M "Issue & continuous improvement" columns in AIAG-VDA PFMEA form FMEA and Control Plans 4
S Supplier Management ISO 13485: 2016- Which supplier needs to fill in a self assessment form? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
I Form templates for software (iso9001) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
L Does a backdate form format can be changed if wrong revision is used? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
D Question regarding ECO process, specifically for Life Science products and defining form fit and function ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
D New Equipment form / template Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
C Certificate of Conformance Form - COC for each customer a controlled document? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
B EMPB (Erstmusterprufbericht) VDA form confusion + PSW VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 4
gunnyshore Form FDA 3500A MedWatch eSubmitter 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7