Definition Form vs. Record - What is the Difference between a Form and a Record

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Transition of a form to a record

<snip> Once the form is filled out, it becomes a record. <snip>
I know this is an old thread that bubbled up, but I thought I'd add this anyway

Key point, Jennifer. Thanks!

There is a "transition". Technically even with data on what 'was' a form someone may refer to it as a form, but with the data on the form it is technically a Record. I think this is where a lot of people become confused. Yes, it is a form but with data it is a *completed* form (i.e. a record).

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
If someone is using a worksheet to record lab analysis, is this document considered a form? Does it need any type of identification such as date, revision, and form #?
Typically it would be a controlled document (the form). Typically a form has a place to put a date when data is entered for traceability purposes. Some forms have multiple places for a date such as in sequential operations travelers, etc.

As a controlled document (the form) it would have a revision number/letter, typically a revision date is on the form, and it would have a number or some other way of identifying it in your document control system.

The rest depends upon your system and requirements of your product and industry. Some industries are so controlled that even phone message pads have form numbers and are filed as records. Others, not so much. If I was doing laboratory analysis I would think you would want to control analysis form(s) in your document control system and I would think you would control them as records after they are completed.

Maybe this will help: Simple Document and Records Control Matrix - Small Company.pdf

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
I am new member in the cove. I want to know the difference between a FORM and a RECORD.
Sabbara,

A blank form is a data gathering device. It is controlled per clause 4.2.3.

The data in the form are the record. This collection of data is controlled per clause 4.2.4.

Some forms are part of hybrid system documents. A checklist for example would be a cross between an instruction and a form. A drawing usually has a form as part of it.

Regarding the fields in the blank form. Incomplete fields may be a nonconformity if incomplete data result in invalid information. Or blank fields may be a result of poor form design (akin to a 4.1c nonconformity).

John

Hi everyone, I hope that there is stil activity in this thread and after reading the answers, I am now mixing a form and a template up, I wonder what the difference between those two are now?

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
This is an old thread…I assume you are looking for the definition of a template? The definition of a form is well covered in the previous posts in this thread.

A template is an “outline” for a document. There are PowerPoint templates, article templates etc. They will have ‘placeholders’ that show the order of information (title page, table of contents…) and usually include approved fonts and may include color palettes, picture annotation information etc. The template is for a free form set of text whereas a form requires specific answers that are typically very short…most work instructions and standard operating procedures are written using templates. A completed form becomes a record; a ‘completed‘ template becomes a document that is read many times.

But as Randy says you can name them what you want and use them as you want as long as you clearly define their use…

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M How to record the effects of adjacent systems (shown in boundary diagram) in the AIAG-VDA DFMEA form FMEA and Control Plans 0
I Can a document (form) approval record be separate? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
S Form and Form/Record Numbering in an Excel Spreadsheet Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 2
G Is it mandatory to record all processes in form 2 of AS9102 FAI report AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
x-files A form becomes a record when data is entered ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
R Electronic Training Record Form (Template) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
K Form 42-2 for Document Initiation and Change Record - Template wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
D Vendor (Supplier) Audit Form as a Controlled Form and as a Record Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 15
R Retention of records - Original Order Form vs. Computer Entry record - ISO 13485 Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 12
M Blank Form vs. Completed Form - A document or record? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 11
bryan willemot Chain of custody form for counterfeit parts AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
Casana Step 7 in AIAG/VDA FMEA form FMEA and Control Plans 16
M AS9102 Form 1 Questions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
J ISO 9001:2015 Is a Project Evaluation form necessary? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
G Use of Supplier's Corrective Action Form vs. Corporate Form Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
M Should there be another column in the Optimization section (step 6) of AIAG-VDA DFMEA form? FMEA and Control Plans 1
D Japan adverse event form Japan Medical Device Regulations 0
B Use an iso 9001/2015 form for api q1 systeme Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 5
M Prescription Form - Medical Devices US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
Q Measurement Equipment Revocation - Looking for a Disposal Form with Risk Assessment IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
Miner Reported content: Post in thread 'Form of real time study for establish shelf time' Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
A Form of real time study for establish shelf time Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
M GP-12 procedure form and requirements Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
E Any template/ form of Monitoring and Measurement of Processes and product to ISO 13485? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
D Faxback form versus amendment License for Class II Canada Medical Device Regulations 1
S Max and Min form diameter inspection IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Techilady Ford Special Characteristics Communication and Agreement Form (SCCAF) provides production requirements? FMEA and Control Plans 4
S Transitional Adolescent A and B - "CDRH PREMARKET REVIEW SUBMISSION COVER SHEET FORM FDA 3514" Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
P AS9102 Form 3 Inclusions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
John C. Abnet VDA 6.3 questionnaire form VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 5
K Generic preventive maintenance form wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
M Is it Necessary to Use Health Canada Form when Reporting? Canada Medical Device Regulations 1
M "Issue & continuous improvement" columns in AIAG-VDA PFMEA form FMEA and Control Plans 4
S Supplier Management ISO 13485: 2016- Which supplier needs to fill in a self assessment form? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
I Form templates for software (iso9001) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
L Does a backdate form format can be changed if wrong revision is used? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
D Question regarding ECO process, specifically for Life Science products and defining form fit and function ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
D New Equipment form / template Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
C Certificate of Conformance Form - COC for each customer a controlled document? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
B EMPB (Erstmusterprufbericht) VDA form confusion + PSW VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 4
gunnyshore Form FDA 3500A MedWatch eSubmitter 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
M AS9102B Detail Part/Assembly FAI Form 1 box 13; AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
A AS9102B - 3.6 Design Characteristics and form 3 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
M AS9102 FAI Report formats - Boxes in form 1, 2, 3 of AS9102 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
C AS9145 Appendix D PPAP Approval Form APQP and PPAP 2
L Form-dependent position prevention control FMEA and Control Plans 1
Y Blank Fields on CAPA Form Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 21
Q Do Management Review records have to be on a controlled form? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 32
M How to complete structure Analysis and Function analysis sections' columns of AIAG-VDA DFMEA form FMEA and Control Plans 0
P AS9102 Form 3 Dimension Results Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1