SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Format for Translation of Controlled Documents into Spanish

M

MfgPro

I'm just discovering that most of our work force (I've been here 3 weeks) speaks NO English, and therefore need to translate most, if not all, work instructions into Spanish.

My question is if there's a preferred format, from an ISO or practical standpoint that works best. My initial thought was to create a different, duplicate translated document with an "S" suffix to that a scan of the master document list makes it easy to pick out which are bi-lingual.

I know there's no "best" answer, but am looking for some feedback before I start. My ISO 13485 audit is about to start and I need to get the ball rolling on this.

Thanks.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
I'm just discovering that most of our work force (I've been here 3 weeks) speaks NO English, and therefore need to translate most, if not all, work instructions into Spanish.
Before you spend a lot of time, effort and money translating the documents, I would suggest you check if the Spanish speaking workforce can read documents. I have seen cases where an organization goes through the trouble of translating a lot of documents, just to find out that a significant percentage of the work force was illiterate, even in their native language.

If that were the case, visual aids, pictorials, graphics, etc... would be a better way to communicate the process requirements. Such documents are, for the most part, unaffected by language and literacy. It works well in a diverse workforce environment, with multiple languages spoken.

M

MfgPro

:applause: Point well taken. I hadn't thought of that and we already have a number of graphics for assembly purposes, but have some detailed instructions that have to be written.

Given that I know there's some stuff I have to create bi-lingual, is there, in fact, a suggested format?

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
...If that were the case, visual aids, pictorials, graphics, etc... would be a better way to communicate the process requirements. Such documents are, for the most part, unaffected by language and literacy. It works well in a diverse workforce environment, with multiple languages spoken.

I would focus toward this angle for any language. Digital photos are very useful and often much more versatile than dry text. Same applies to drawings and graphics. Becoming very common since the equipment is so easy to use anymore.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
I agree many foreign nationals working in the USA or any country which includes multilingual workers are often better served by work instructions which incorporate a lot of graphics. This is true of any work situation regardless of language barriers because the degree of literacy of the work force is often different from the degree of literacy of the one attempting to write text-only instructions.

One strategy I have helped client organizations deploy is to make their own digital film of the actual activity being performed in the prescribed manner with the sound track dubbed in the various languages of the work force. The film is thus reinforced by the hard copy instructions containing stills from the film. Each language version is on a separate DVD which can be popped into an inexpensive portable DVD player to be played right at the work station. Simple editing tools allow insertion of closeup shots of critical steps into the film, often adding animation, captions, and cartoon balloons to aid in understanding what is happening in the various steps of a work process.

A smart strategy we have found is to check with the Communication departments of local colleges and universities for advanced students to hire to help in the filming and editing to turn out a more polished product. The students get practical experience and some money (any workman worthy of hire is worthy of pay) plus work product they can show when applying for work in their field. The organization gets a good product, often with the oversight and advice of the student's instructor.

An added advantage
is getting a new set of eyes to look at the prescribed work instruction - we found some cases where the student, not being familiar with the process to begin with (as a new worker would also not be familiar), was able to point to very confusing steps and thus help "mistake proof" the work instruction.

CarolX

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Before you spend a lot of time, effort and money translating the documents, I would suggest you check if the Spanish speaking workforce can read documents. I have seen cases where an organization goes through the trouble of translating a lot of documents, just to find out that a significant percentage of the work force was illiterate, even in their native language.
Excellent point, Sidney. We have run into this situation as well.

Another aspect to consider is spanish is not a single language - it is quite diverse. Hispanics from Mexico speak a differnt dialect than those from Honduras and different from those from Venuzuela.

The work instructions that we have translated are kept in the same format with the same control number assigned to them. In our master directory we idetifiy them with the work "Spanish" after the title.

T

Ted Schmitt

Just a suggestion (after finding out if your employees are litterate as Sidney pointed), make your procedure / document in two columns... one in English and the other in Spanish... that way you only have one document to control

CarolX

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Just a suggestion (after finding out if your employees are litterate as Sidney pointed), make your procedure / document in two columns... one in English and the other in Spanish... that way you only have one document to control
What a fantastic idea!!!:applause::applause::applause:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V Csv, excel format - audit trail file of HPLC system ( Empower, openlab, EZchrom or any other ) Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 0
M Always Date format with letters After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 17
L Does a backdate form format can be changed if wrong revision is used? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
D Safety Assurance Case Report Format ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
S Issuing of CoC to Customer in a Word or Excel format ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
J Which OEM or customers are now requiring the new AIAG/VDA FMEA format? FMEA and Control Plans 6
N How to Extract LxWxH from JT format ? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 0
M Is there any pre-defined Control plan format/template acc. VDA? VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 1
B AIAG-VDA FMEA - When the new format will be required FMEA and Control Plans 5
M DI format for UDI after we have registered it with GS1 Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
M Informational US FDA Draft Guidance – Providing Regulatory Submissions for Medical Devices in Electronic Format – Submissions Under Section 745A(b) of the Federal F Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
F ISO 17025:2017 Format for Procedure and Records Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
P GM TWO (Temporary Work Order) - Is there a specific GM format for the TWO# to be sent with the material? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
S ISO 9001:2015 & ISO 14001:2015 - I need a format for Design & Development planning ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
S New AIAG FMEA Process - How to complete the new format FMEA and Control Plans 32
A Usable version of MDR in Word format CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
K FDA Lot Code format requirements Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
D FDA Date Format Requirement US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
M Informational USFDA final guidance – Recommended Content and Format of Non-Clinical Bench Performance Testing Information in Premarket Submissions Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
D China - Where I can get NMPA complete structure/organogram chart and GB/YY format list China Medical Device Regulations 1
M Informational Publication of Draft Health Canada Implementation Guidance for the International Medical Device Regulators Forum Table of Contents Format Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
PastorBee13 IATF 16949 Audit Nonconformance Responses per 5.1.1.2 - Format IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
M Medical Device News FDA News - 12-09-18 - MD Submissions to Electronic Format to Improve Efficiency Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
C Excel date format from Denmark to USA Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 6
D Risk Register - have we considered enough and is the format acceptable? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
A AS9100 Rev D - Procedure for Product Safety & Control of Counterfeit Part (Format) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
E MDSAP and Procedure Format ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S Medical Device Registration & Technical Format/Template - European Union CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 8
1 KPI Dashboard Template in Excel Format wanted Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 9
C Manufacturing Process Work Instructions - Format Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
H GHTF and IMDRF - Alternative for the STED format EU Medical Device Regulations 5
Q Managing Internal/External RNC and Complaints in same Format ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
T ISO 9001:2015 Clause 9.2.2 Internal Audit - Corrective Action Report Format ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
C PPAP Rejection for "MSA-GR&R are not using the latest AIAG format" APQP and PPAP 9
H Part 147 AMTO Audit Plan example and Audit Report Format wanted EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 1
V Template / format for Device History File & Design Verification of transdermal patch 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
S IEC 62366 - Usability Test Protocol format Imported Legacy Blogs 0
S ISO 9001:2015 clauses and clause details in Excel format Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
JoCam Format of Health Canada pre-market licence application Canada Medical Device Regulations 3
C 510(k) STED Format - Feedback from users US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
Q FDA - Annual Report Submission Format and QMS updates Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
H Control plan example format for CNC machining activities FMEA and Control Plans 3
somashekar Time and Date Format - ISO 8601:2004 Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
drgnrider Is there a specific OHSAS 18001 sign format? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 4
T Excel Conditional Format Issue Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 16
K FMECA (Critical Analysis) Format and Ranking Table AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
S Predictive Maintenance Format / Example Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
K Sample format for Equivalency Protocol /Report Using Minitab Software 5
Q Format to Evaluate the Effects of New Processes and Equipment Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
S Format for Significant Environmental Aspects Study ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8