Forms review

Hello,

In our company's quality system when forms are reviewed the new revision is registered into the active forms and also the new form.
We have also kept the old forms revisions just for archive but we do not have a document with changes from one revision to another. We have this for procedures, workinstructions (each procedure has a special table with the changes and revisions and what changed from one revision to another). It seems to me excessive to have ths also for the forms but my customer is not very understanding and I am afraid they might consider it a non conformity.
Is it a non conformity? How is in the quality systems you are working with?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
Forms are your system’s data collection devices. These data may be analyzed to become information upon which decisions are based. Naturally you want to make sure the required data are collected.

So, you do need to control forms needed for your system to work effectively. They are not exempt from doc control and should have been controlled with their first issue.

And they can be reviewed and approved for use without anyone signing them. You could use (in the same position - bottom right, for example) a discrete letter or number to indicate their status. A letter could be draft, meaning comments are required but do not use which is replaced by a number when issued for use and improvement

Your process owners could be made responsible for ensuring only the correct versions of forms are available for use.

Castaway99

Involved In Discussions
Auditor would be within his rights to write a Non Conformity. This is being done in one of my client company. Though they chose to have one sheet per record to capture the changes ( i wasnt told about it , it happened after the certifcation audit sometime during the survellance audits I guess and I am sure it was the certifying body auditor who suggested that to the company). It was the biggest file in the company, it really stood out this 'Master file of Formats' . :D But how many formats undergo change once approved. I guess not many if they were intially made after applying adequate thought. So one sheet on a computer that captures all the changes of all documents that have undergone changes would suffice I guess.

Last edited:

Tagin

Trusted Information Resource
We have also kept the old forms revisions just for archive but we do not have a document with changes from one revision to another....I am afraid they might consider it a non conformity.
Is it a non conformity?
A non-conformity against what standard or what agreement?

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
So, you do need to control forms needed for your system to work effectively. They are not exempt from doc control and should have been controlled with their first issue.
In many, if not most, instances it's not necessary to control forms. What needs control is the information that's captured. There should be a documented procedure or work instruction that specifies the information to be recorded, and also specifies that any convenient format may be used to do it. A form can be provided without the form itself being controlled.

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
Indeed, the data to be collected could be specified by the procedure or it’s instruction as is often the case with forms accessed for data entry via a computer device.

Or the procedure itself could specify the form to be used to collect the required data.

In the latter case the form would need to be controlled just like its procedure/instruction.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q Can anyone share Contract Review forms that I can use as record? Contract Review Process 7
S Showing Evidence of Review and Approval of Blank Forms and Templates 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
SteelMaiden Review and Update as necessary - Supplier Survey Forms ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
P Looking for HSE-MS Management Review Docs?Forms Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 1
H How to review Customer Satisfaction Clause when the Survey forms are not returned? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 34
D Rules for Paper Forms outside of an eQMS - 3 Questions (ISO 13485) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
T Controlled Forms or documented requirements for records? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
Q Serialization and Reconciliation of Forms Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 7
I When do FORMs and Log Files become Records? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
G Any good examples of CAPA forms that include a risk based approach? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
Q Forms Master List versus Record Matrix ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
M What to do about Non Conformance forms that are deleted or missing? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
R Purchase order forms - who keeps them? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
GreatNate Various Audit Templates - Canned forms and templates Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
W Informational MDSAP Substantial change / Change of notice forms Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
D Internal audit forms or checklists for a medical/veterinary laboratory General Auditing Discussions 5
I Document levels and approval requirements for lower level documents like work instructions, forms etc. Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 18
S Supplier Audit Assessment / Evaluation Forms IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
K Do Forms and Templates ALWAYS become Records? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 4
M ISO13485 Documentation packs (manual, procedures, forms etc) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
S Medical Device Servicing - Forms and Signature ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
S Control of Forms Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
M AS9100D Process Map Requirements - PEAR Forms AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 18
O AS9102 FAI report Forms 1-3 Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
QSM_Rick Controlling Multi-Tab Microsoft Excel Forms Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 5
R Standards Data Forms (form 3654) - American Academy of Sleep Medicine (AASM) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
H Manufacturer vs. Supplier - Which is which on PPAP Forms APQP and PPAP 3
pammesue ISO 9001:2008 Design and Development Process & Forms examples wanted Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
P FDA has just released the forms for "Small Business Qualification and Certification" Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
W Form Approval - Blank forms Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
W Unattached (stand-alone) Forms acceptable for AS9100C? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
J Training SOP and Forms Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
M Some ISO 9001:2015 Forms and Templates Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
P Customer Forms as external documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
H Incomplete forms and records missing date or a name Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 6
T Controlled Forms - Centralized or Decentralized? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
S Document Numbers (Identification) on Forms (AS9100) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 15
S Clinical Trial Informed Consent Forms ("retro-signing") US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
A How to Verify Supplier I-9 Forms for ITAR Requirements Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
Gman2 Control of Documents and (FORMS) on a Computer Network ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
MichaelDRoach Where in ISO 9001 is White Out on Forms and Records Prohibited? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
K List of procedures and forms or records required by ISO 15189:2012 Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
M Photocopy of Data Entry in Traveler Forms Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
cscalise Separate Forms or Procedure Attachments - What's more common? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
C Controlled Forms Conundrum Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
K Document Control - Type-able Forms vs. Ink Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 10
R Document Control when an ERP System Produces most Forms and other Paperwork Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
G Internal Audit Report Forms ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 30
D Adding PPAP forms to the ISO procedures Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
T ISO 9001:2008 Forms Control for Electronic Built-In Template Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2