Formulas to be able to answer these Run Chart questions

leaning

Involved In Discussions
last one for today:

A run chart has recorded the following values (assume 95% confidence)
10, 8, 6, 14, 16, 14, 18, 20, 8, 10, 10, 10.

Calculate:
a) the actual number of runs
b) the expected number of runs
c) the centerline plotted value
d) would this data pass a runs analysis test?

I can't find any formulas to be able to answer these run chart questions. Can anyone help?

Regards,
leaning

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
S

suraj.singh

The best way is to put data in Minitab & create a run chart. You can count number of runs by looking at chart. As pointed out minitab documentation has all the detailed formulas for test of randomness.

leaning

Involved In Discussions
suraj.singh,

This is a test question, and during the test, students don't have access to Minitab or the Internet. Just their notes/textbooks. So, they are expected to know it cold just based on experience and what is in front of them.

My problem is that even with my Internet searches, I still wouldn't be able to answer it. Same for the other questions I've posted here.

I will take a look at Minitab's documentation to see if there is anything there that will help.

Thanks for the reply and info, and have a good one!

Regards,
leaning

JeantheBigone

Quite Involved in Discussions
I've always been an advocate of understanding a concept before turning "responsibility" for a calculation over to any kind of software.

Does this help with the actual vs expected values?

Attachments

David-D

Involved In Discussions
Not sure what text book you are using (Montgomery is probably the gold standard) but I'm sure the formulas are readily shown and easy to calculate with a calculator that performs standard deviation. The first three of the four are really understanding questions.

Here's my shot at it w/o looking up anything:
a. 12 (12 data points, each one is a run point)
b. 20 (95% confidence means 1/20 false reject so your Avg Run length is 20 when you use 95% bounds)
c. The centerline of a control chart is just the average of the values. Add the values and divide by 12. (I get 144/12=12 in my head)
d. Determine the actual control limits (avg +2 sd and avg -2 sd) and which/any fall outside (2sd should be a good enough approximation of 95%) I don't have a calculator near me.

David

David-D

Involved In Discussions
A random web app seems to say the standard deviation is a bit more than 4 do control limits would be 3.xxx and 20.yyy so none of the run points would be rejected.

David

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Formulas for Calculating Coefficients for RTD / PRTD Calibration According to ITS-90 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
S Help with Table of Constants and Formulas for Control Charts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
E MSA 3th edition vs. 4th - What are the topics, formats, criteria, new formulas, etc. Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
T Excel Time Calculations and Formulas help needed Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 15
N Gage R&R - Tolerance - APQP Forms Disk from the AIAG - Formulas IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
F Linearity Analysis - MSA 3rd edition, March 2002 page 93 formulas Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
B Weibull Model - Reliability Analysis - Alpha, Beta & gamma value formulas Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 3
O Is there a key to what the symbols mean in the ANOVA formulas? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
C Generalized Variance Chart - Formulas and Algorithm in Minitab Using Minitab Software 3
M MiniTab Calculated Formulas for a Calculation in a Column Using Minitab Software 4
V GAGE R&R Formal definition/ formulas for master's thesis Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
C Validating a Gage R&R spreadsheet - Defining Formulas in spreadsheet cells Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
L Formulas for Factors d2 and d3 for range charts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
Q Is there an ERRATA for the AIAG SPC Manual 2nd Edition? Error in u-chart formulas? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
E Formulas and Constants - Control Limits for Individual and Moving Range Control Chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
K Formulas for X bar & R Chart with one sample size Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
J The Formulas of Ppk and Cpk in VDA 4.1 Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 14
N Effectiveness, miss rate and false alarm rate - Need formulas to calculate Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
B Formulas for calculating control chart constants Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
M MSA ed3 page 93 re: Question about Linearity formulas Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
ccochran Customer Satisfaction Book - Techniques, and Formulas for Success Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 6
T Gage R (Not Gage R&R) Formulas for CMM Layout Needed Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
V AIAG's MSA III Edition - Forms and Formulas - Attribute Gage R&R Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
L Cp/Cpk vs Pp/Ppk (Short term using population sigma) - Formulas to use? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 21
WALLACE Six Sigma Formulas and Tables. Six Sigma 3
T API Q1 - Will I be able to maintain Q1 if I have products that fall under 6A Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 5
L Contracted Manufacture Company wanting to be able to design and manufacture own product. 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
K Medical Device Listing for 801(e) Export of Uncleared 510(k)able Device Other US Medical Device Regulations 5
H AS9120 stockist now able to work with Airbus sub contractors? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
K Document Control - Type-able Forms vs. Ink Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 10
Marc How to Live Easy in China on $475 a Month and still be able to Save Money Immigration and Expatriate Topics 2
N Laboratory that is able to Calibrate Dew Point Meter up to 60?Cdp - Needed General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
Marc Sunday Morning Cartoon - Ready, Woolen and Able Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 1
S Who is able to modify ETSO parts? EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 3
S Not able to meet re-certification cycle ISO/TS ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 1
C Process Goals - Stretch or "Do-able": Corrective Actions or Continual Improvement Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 6
A Distance Learning where I would be able to obtain a 4 year degree in Quality? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 7
M Ford QOS - 3rd Party Auditing body able to assess the QOS Assessment? QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 1
D HR's Job Descriptions - Should Employees be able to see them? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 11
M Definitive answer on Type 1 vs Type 2 vs Type 3 Gage Study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
qualprod ISO 9001 - 9.3.2 c) 7 is answer for 8.4.1? Performance of external suppliers ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
B What is your pat answer when a co-worker asks about ISO 9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
S Do I need to answer Audit Observations? General Auditing Discussions 33
S "Answer books" for ISO/TS 16949 Implementation IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
C Major NADCAP Magnetic Inspection Nonconformance - How to answer it? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
J What will happen if you can't answer questions of recruiters? Career and Occupation Discussions 4
E Should I refuse to answer personal questions during the interview? Career and Occupation Discussions 59
bobdoering A Statistician?s Favorite Answer: ?It Depends,? Part 2 Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
bobdoering A Statistician?s Favorite Answer: ?It depends,? Part 1 Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
Q How to answer these standard HR Employment Interview Questions Career and Occupation Discussions 8