• Prefer the Original Options

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
One of the things that was bothering me was I wanted to "Watch" various forums for New Threads and New Posts. I would always get these options:

Forum-Watch-Original-Options-20181222.jpg

It was presenting me with an "either - or" option for New Threads OR New Posts. I found out why. The Default is set for the "either or" in the software. This wouldn't be an issue in starting a new forum and setting up each forum individually assuming the person knew the Xenforo software well enough.

During the import of the old vBulletin forums, the import defaulted to "either or". To change this I had to go to every forum (XF calls them "nodes") and change this setting:

Forum-Watch-Setting-20181222.jpg

The Default was "New Messages". I expected to get a different "Options" box. I did, in a way. I get a different box, but it has no options at all.

Forum-Watch-Revised-Options-20181222.jpg

It just has a "Watch" button.

I assume, at this point, that choosing to "Watch" a forum now will now put both New Posts and New Threads in your Alerts notifications, and I assume it will also send you an email. I haven't verified that yet. I do believe that whether or not it sends you an email will follow your user preferences for emails.

What This Means to You

IF you have already set up a "Watch" for a forum, the blue "Watch" link on the right should read "Unwatch". If you want to be sure you will now get notifications for both New Threads and New Posts in Threads, click the "Unwatch" link. It will ask if you are sure you want to do that. The obvious choice is Yes. Then the "Unwatch" will change to "Watch". Click the "Watch" link again. This should reset your Watch options to both. NOTE: I expected the software to give Options of New Threads or New Posts or Both. I could not find a way to do that so I assume it's all or nothing. So it goes.

To those of you who already are monitoring/Watching one or more forum(s): Remember that you don't have to think about going through a bunch of forums to change your Watch Options. You are already getting notifications so when you get an email or Alerts notification and go to a forum you can change it then.

NOTE: 1 Remember - This is applicable to "Watching" an entire forum. If you Watch a forum you will get notices of new posts in threads you have not participated in.

NOTE 2: This is different than Watching New Posts in a Discussion Thread that you either started or posted in or was reading and used the "Watch" link in the thread to specifically "Watch" the thread even though you had not posted in the thread. Remember, the option for that is in your User Preferences. See Content Options. The Default is for all to be checked. You might want to take a minute right now to verify that the options you want are set how you want them.

User-Preferences-Email-Options-20181222.jpg

NOTE 3: I do not know how this will play out. Some of you may prefer the original settings. Give things a week or so. Watch and if you do not like the new settings, Reply in this discussion thread and give me your feedback on this change. I can change back to the original Options.

As I experiment with this I am tempted to change all the forums back to the default "New Messages (Posts)" option.

Note that the posted Poll is a Public Poll where your forum User Name will be publicly shown - This will help me evaluate who this interests.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Marc Also see these Risk related Elsmar forums FMEA and Control Plans 0
Marc Customer Complaints Discussions in All Elsmar Forums Customer Complaints 0
Marc Thoughts about Discussion Forums Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
B Plating Shop - Forums specifically related to the plating / metal finishing industry ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
L Looking for related but different forums 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
P Survey's without Response Rate - Surveys distributed by discussion forums Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 8
S Which Elsmar forums do you love to visit most? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
Marc ISO 13485 and ISO 14971 - Medical Devices and Related Forums Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 0
Marc ISO 13485 and ISO 14971 - Medical Devices and Related Forums Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 0
Marc ISO 13485, ISO 14971 and other Medical Device Related Forums 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
Marc ISO 13485 and ISO 14971 - Medical Devices and Related Forums US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
Marc The US's FDA and other Medical Device Related Forums ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 0
Marc The US's FDA and other Medical Device Related Forums ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
Ajit Basrur New sub-forums within the FDA forum US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 11
Pancho Forums, blogs and wikis may forge a more inclusive Government Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
Marc If the Elsmar Cove Forums and Web Site was Yours, What would you do to Improve? Forum News and General Information 59
Ajit Basrur The number of ISO13485 posts in the Elsmar Cove forums ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
Marc Elsmar Cove Forums Link Listed in Wikipedia.org Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 6
Marc Continuing Education Units (CEUs) and The Cove Forums? Professional Certifications and Degrees 5
M Seeking industry specific e forums like the Cove Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 5
J How long have you been visiting the Cove Forums? Vintage Cove! Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 203
Marc Searching Multiple Internet Boards/Forums Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 0
Marc Registered at the Cove Forums in 1970? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 7
Randy Is helping people in the Elsmar forums Consulting? Consultants and Consulting 31
Marc The Elsmar Cove Site and Forums 'Breakdown' & Options as of June 2017 Forum News and General Information 11
CarolX Other Quality Related Forums on the Internet Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 23
G Auditor watching tech do procedure - Can tech ask questions? ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
Marc New Posts and New Threads - Monitoring (aka "Watching") Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 1
J SR-001 Revision - Keep watching for the new revision of SR001 (It is expected soon) AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
K Gage R&R with more than 3 appraisers Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
K More than one importer for the same device EU Medical Device Regulations 3
S Two or more predicates suitable? 510K submission US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
E Received a Major finding during IATF Surveillance audit for loss of BIQS Level 3 (more than 6 SPPS in 6 months)...how should we address SYSTEMIC CA? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
L Which one is more important for FMEA CC or SC, FMEA and Control Plans 6
M UDI-PI on a package that contains more devices EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M Informational Update – MDR and IVDR implementing measures rolling plan – 2 more NBs designated under the new regulations Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
B More than one Risk Report per Medical Device ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
Ed Panek Can a single supplier fit two or more categories for risk? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
Sidney Vianna More allegations of unethical behavior in the Aerospace Sector AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
N Technical File Reviewer has requested more testing to ISO 10993 Other Medical Device Related Standards 10
M Informational FDA Panel: Too early to pull textured breast implants over cancer risk, need more data Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M BSI – Want to know more about the Notified Body? Registrars and Notified Bodies 0
Marc Renewables, led by wind, provided more power than coal in Germany in 2018 Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 2
A MSA When an Instrument Measures More than One Parameter Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
M Vernier Calibrations & more General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
bobdoering Contingency Plans Likely to be Scrutinized More Now IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
Q How can you justify using a more accurate Pin Gage class? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 16
JoshuaFroud Addressing wet ink signatures when more than one site is involved 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
G More on IATF 8.5.6.1.1 - Temporary Change of Process Controls IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Sidney Vianna IAF Ruling - No more ISO 9001:2008 nor ISO 14001:2004 audits after 2018-03-15 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6