SBS - The best value in QMS software

Four "Power Tips" for your resume (and interview!)

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions
I estimate that I have looked at more than 10,000 resumes in my career which has spanned more than 45 years [so far.]

Recently, in the Q&A portion of one of my presentations on careers, I was asked to describe the "perfect" resume. I kind of fumbled and mumbled, but eventually, with plenty of feedback from my audience, WE (emphasis on team effort) determined a great [not perfect] resume had at least these four factors:
[I've expanded on each in the red type in brackets]

1. Relevance [generic resumes just don't grab attention - the resume must be focused on the target company and what it needs or wants combined with how the candidate meets those to add value]
  2. Pain spotting [the candidate must do sufficient research to spot the real pain behind an opening and show how he can alleviate that pain - did a key player die or leave and need to be replaced? is the target facing new pressure from customers? regulators? competitors? is there new ownership/leadership looking for a new team? etc. etc.]
  3. Humanize/normalize the narrative [don't speak of yourself in the abstract third person - if YOU did it, be proud and say I DID IT! Make concrete statements, don't hedge. If you were only "a helper," what value does that have for the purpose of getting attention? Average candidates are expected to be "team players;" exceptional candidates show they are more than sheep in the flock.]
  4. Storytelling [the primary point of providing a brief story about the candidate's successes (the impetus, the buildup, the climax, the epilog) is to help fix the exploit in the reader's mind and sets the candidate apart from those who just make blah lists of accomplishments.]

Interviews:
By the time a candidate gets to a face-to-face interview, the hiring folk have pretty much determined he has the minimum skills and experience to do the job. What they are looking for are two things:
  1. Validity [does the candidate really have the skills set forth in his application or did some outside wordsmith just make up a good story?]
  2. Compatibility [how is this candidate going to fit into our organization? Despite many claims to seeking "outside the box" thinking and "leadership ability," interviewers do not want to hire antisocial loners or prima donnas who will run roughshod over the staff or embarrass the organization when dealing with customers, suppliers, or regulators. Candidates will be on trial for appearance, speaking ability, social grace and charm, general intelligence and quick wittedness.]

The points in the resume list are equally important in the interview - especially showing relevance [translate the candidate's previous success into a benefit or value for the target company - don't assume the interviewer can guess - TELL HIM!]

The interview is a great place to confirm the "pain" for the target company, show empathy, and assert the power to relieve that pain WHEN hired. (not IF)

Finally, recognize the interview is a special kind of sales call. Don't hesitate to make "trial closes" to assure the target is still ready to buy. If the candidate is interested in the job, he should say so - this is NOT the time to be coy. It is also appropriate to test the interviewer to determine if he is still on track.

Also, don't hesitate to close the interview if it is obvious there is no match - what value is there to continuing the interview if either the candidate or the target are in the "NO SALE!" column?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Linear Regression Formula with Four Variables to a Power Regression Formula Using Minitab Software 2
B Four Key Performance Indicators for Continual Improvement (Dec. 3 2019) [Deleted] Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
Watchcat Four NBs now designated under the MDR - August 2019 EU Medical Device Regulations 7
Marc A Four Day Work Week - Reuters - Dec 2018 After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 7
A New to Calibration - Four Questions General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
W Problems with our new Auditor (a Ph.D. with four months experience) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 25
Marc Modified Google Glass can teach you Morse Code in four hours World News 0
E ANOVA for Taguchi method - Four factors and three levels and nine runs (Minitab) Using Minitab Software 6
R Product Name when Marketing four components as part of one product EU Medical Device Regulations 3
L I have four groups to compare, and each group has three samples Using Minitab Software 4
D Are Four Sigma Control Limits based on Shewhart's work Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
C Who offers Four Year Degree in Quality Management Professional Certifications and Degrees 8
bobdoering Dr. Wheeler on "How Measurement Error Affects the Four Ways We Use Data" Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 0
I Process Efficiency with Four Different Processes Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
Sidney Vianna The last four minutes of Air France flight 447 Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 7
N Four CMMs and would like to write programs for intermediate checks General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
Stijloor Four Tops vocalist Levi Stubbs dies at 72 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
T Four Procedures I need examples of Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
S What is IMDS? Does Any kind of other thing other then four wheel manufacturing? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 3
J Calculating the overall MTTR for an MTBF of 476, given four subsystems Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 1
A Be Popular at Work: Four Steps Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
C Simple four-box process model - Referenced in ASQ Process-based auditing course General Auditing Discussions 5
E Multiple Registrations at One Site - Operations were Separated - Four different QMS's ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
L Four Audits in One Month General Auditing Discussions 18
I Fast Runs - Four lots, one day each, every month - What chart to use? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
D QS-9000 / ISO9000 Procedures - Four Questions about Requirements Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
A What is included in the Four Tiers of Documentation Pyramid? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
A Can a power Supply be an accessory to a medical device, if it is an 'off-the-shelf' product. IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
Judy Abbott The impact of laser power on biocompatibility of the products Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
C Power Supply EN60601-1 vs EN62368-1 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
S DC-AC Power inverter with two MOPPs IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
J Surge Protectors and other power protection Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
Sidney Vianna Informational APQP4Wind - Advanced Product Quality Planning for the Wind Power Supply Chain APQP and PPAP 3
U Power supply - Change From 160 to 300 Watts - Significant change? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
R Power Failure or Cold Start Situation in PFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 6
R IEC 60601-1 - Power Supply Cords (Section 8.11.3.1) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
M MS Power Automate/Sharepoint Files Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
O Are power distribution units Multiple Socket Outlets (MSOs)? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
L Medical-grade power adapter labeling Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
A Calibration of Power Supplies AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
B IEC 60601 Cl. 8.4.3 - ME EQUIPMENT intended to be connected to a power source by a plug / Plug discharge IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
Proud Liberal Power Query to combine multiple tables of unequal number of columns Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
J Universal Power Cord with Adapters - IVD IEC 61010-2-101 CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 6
L External power supplies: How close does the safety report have to match the end-use application? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
L IEC 62368-1 / Electrical Energy Source vs. Power Source? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
B Need For BIS Standard Mark? Imported OEM's Power supply,Li-Ion Battery Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
I Containment procedure for parts after a power outage. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
P UDI labeling for power module IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
E IEC 61010-1 Dielectric strength test of inner power supply Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
S Power rating for medical devices in the US - Radiotherapy devices US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0