Fourth Generation Management, Brian Joiner

Kevin Mader

One of THE Original Covers!
Staff member
Admin
Fourth Generation Management by Brian Joiner.

I found this to be an excellent book and very well written (an easy read). Dr. Joiner mentions in the beginning of his book that Dr. Deming had heavily influenced his thinking and for me, this was quite apparent. While many of the concepts were reminiscent of Dr. Deming (System and Statistical Thinking), Joiner introduces many concepts and illustrations that are his own and help the reader to better understand quality systems and managment (the Joiner Triangle, 4th Generation Management, process optimization, the scull example in particular). I also see many similarities between his work and that of Peter Scholtes, a heavy collaborative influence.

The 4th Generation in Management replaces the preceding three generations of management. What are they? You’ll need to read this book and I recommend that you do!

Note: This book is directed at Senior and Middle Managers, but anyone interested in Quality System management will likely find this book a valued resource.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
A

Al Dyer

Kevin,

Thanks for the info! Is it available online? Or can I go to the local Borders (or other) boakstore to find it.

What is the cost, I hope it's not one of those $125.00 books.

ASD...

Kevin Mader

Staff member
Admin
Al,

Sorry for the late response. You can get it through Amazon.com (where I got mine), but I am pretty sure that you can get this a few different places on the internet. I am relatively close to the Yale Bookstore which I believe is run by Borders, and I recall seeing it there. As I recall, the book was fairly inexpensive, say under $25.00 in the hardcover version (which I tend to prefer for my own personal library).

Regards,

Kevin

[This message has been edited by Kevin Mader (edited 31 July 2001).]

A

Al Dyer

Kevin,

Thanks, I just ordered it from amazon and the cost was $17.46 + shipping. looking forward to the read. By the way, I see the Juran Handbook is now going for $150.00!!!!!!!!!!

ASD...

Kevin Mader

Staff member
Admin
I was looking for the icon with the eyeballs popping out. I settled for the dollar sign.

$150.00 is waayyyy too much!! It is a handy reference tool I'll admit, and luckily I got mine from joining a book club. I think it was about half the cover price then of $125.

Just think of how many books you could buy in its place...........

Kevin Mader

Staff member
Admin
Very good point! If you want to save a bit and don't mind occasionally highlighted areas, this is the way to go. Amazon also offers used books for a great price, but I don't know if they have parameters about condition. Check into this.

Word of caution: you can sometimes be unnecessarily infuenced by highlighted areas as you will find is the case in reused college texts.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D 4GM - Fourth Generation Management (Deming) Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 3
M Informational Fourth WHO Global Forum on Medical Devices REPORT Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
O Significant Production Run - 2.1 in Section 2 of the PPAP Manual fourth edition APQP and PPAP 3
S ISO 9001, Fourth edition, 2008-11-15 - Do I have the most current standard? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
X Bias Analysis issues in MSA Fourth Edition Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
P Is there an Errata sheet for AIAG's MSA Manual Fourth Edition Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
kedarg6500 MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Fourth Edition Excel Sheet wanted Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
I What is the difference between FMEA Fourth edition (AIAG) and VDA 4.2? VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 7
Atul Khandekar MSA Reference Manual, Fourth Edition Now Available - June 2010 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 59
S Electronic forms for Fourth Edition PPAP - THE-1002 form APQP and PPAP 10
K PPAP Manual Fourth Edition will be available to order in advance on February 24 APQP and PPAP 4
G AIAG PPAP Manual Fourth Edition will be available exclusively from AIAG March 1, 2006 APQP and PPAP 6
J AIAG PPAP Third edition changes to Fourth - Ten major changes? APQP and PPAP 10
J AIAG PPAP (Production Part Approval Process) Manual Fourth Edition Released APQP and PPAP 69
P Static Electricity/Pacemaker - Standards for static electricity generation CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
F Electrical Metrology (Source/Generation and Measurement) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
Ron Rompen Random data generation in Minitab Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
Marc US wind capacity surpasses hydro, overall generation to follow World News 0
A Technical File Maintenance - Old generation product EU Medical Device Regulations 4
I What are considered next generation ITSM tools? IT (Information Technology) Service Management 1
M Design History File (DHF) for New Generation of Product 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
x-files [Thermal powerplant] Why "Generation of electricity" is a special process? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
H CE Mark Technical File - Procedure for the generation of a "Technical File" ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
W Software for Data Collection, Generation of Worksheets and Form 1's EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 5
M Documented Procedure for Control of Nonconforming Product - Electricity Generation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
S Quality Policy Contents for Power Sector - Biomass Power Generation Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
S Hazard Review Checklist for Biomass Power Generation Plant wanted Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 19
V Training Needs - Small workforce electricity generation/gas production Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
T 21 CFR Part 11 Compliance - Generation of Complete Copies of Records Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
W ASQ 2008 World Conference Focus: Generation Quality ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 19
F What is a generation II FMEA? FMEA and Control Plans 9
M UID - Unique identification Labels - 2D Data Matrix - Next Generation Barcode Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
S Responsible for generation of documentation? Include line leaders or team leaders? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
Marc Next generation of DVDs - Blu-Ray vs. HD DVD format After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
C ISO 9000:2020 by the Covers - Authoring a draft of the 'next generation' ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
A 21 CFR 820 - Risk Management - Looking for some guidance US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
John Predmore Configuration Management as a process instead of a procedure AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
optomist1 Informational Training IMDS - Management of Product Chemical Regulatory Compliance RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 2
Pau Calvo Quality Management process is mandatory in ISO9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
S Supplier Management ISO 13485: 2016- Which supplier needs to fill in a self assessment form? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
Sravan Manchikanti Software Risk Management & probability of occurrence as per IEC 62304 IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 8
M Change management procedure when 7.3 is not applicable ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
S Management Review (9.3) - Management Review Minutes/Report ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
R How would you work without a quality management system? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
J ISO 13485 System 'soft start' - How to best reflect this in initial audits, management review minutes and other records? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
P Conformity assessment based on a quality management system or production quality assurance EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M Management is about people? Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 1
R Electrical contractor Project Quality Management Plan Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
S Quality management system (Well head installation & maintenance) Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 5
G Copy of withdrawn ISO 9001:1994 Quality Management Standard ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2