Fourth Generation Management, Brian Joiner

Kevin Mader

One of THE Original Covers!
Leader
Admin
Fourth Generation Management by Brian Joiner.

I found this to be an excellent book and very well written (an easy read). Dr. Joiner mentions in the beginning of his book that Dr. Deming had heavily influenced his thinking and for me, this was quite apparent. While many of the concepts were reminiscent of Dr. Deming (System and Statistical Thinking), Joiner introduces many concepts and illustrations that are his own and help the reader to better understand quality systems and managment (the Joiner Triangle, 4th Generation Management, process optimization, the scull example in particular). I also see many similarities between his work and that of Peter Scholtes, a heavy collaborative influence.

The 4th Generation in Management replaces the preceding three generations of management. What are they? You’ll need to read this book and I recommend that you do!

Note: This book is directed at Senior and Middle Managers, but anyone interested in Quality System management will likely find this book a valued resource.

A

Al Dyer

Kevin,

Thanks for the info! Is it available online? Or can I go to the local Borders (or other) boakstore to find it.

What is the cost, I hope it's not one of those $125.00 books.

ASD...

Kevin Mader

Leader
Admin
Al,

Sorry for the late response. You can get it through Amazon.com (where I got mine), but I am pretty sure that you can get this a few different places on the internet. I am relatively close to the Yale Bookstore which I believe is run by Borders, and I recall seeing it there. As I recall, the book was fairly inexpensive, say under $25.00 in the hardcover version (which I tend to prefer for my own personal library).

Regards,

Kevin

[This message has been edited by Kevin Mader (edited 31 July 2001).]

A

Al Dyer

Kevin,

Thanks, I just ordered it from amazon and the cost was $17.46 + shipping. looking forward to the read. By the way, I see the Juran Handbook is now going for $150.00!!!!!!!!!!

ASD...

Kevin Mader

Leader
Admin
I was looking for the icon with the eyeballs popping out. I settled for the dollar sign.

$150.00 is waayyyy too much!! It is a handy reference tool I'll admit, and luckily I got mine from joining a book club. I think it was about half the cover price then of $125.

Just think of how many books you could buy in its place...........

M

mboteo

used books

I just bought the book at $4.95 + shipping at half.com.

If you like to pass the high price of new books, buy them used at http://www.half.com .

Really great side.

S.

Kevin Mader

Leader
Admin
Very good point! If you want to save a bit and don't mind occasionally highlighted areas, this is the way to go. Amazon also offers used books for a great price, but I don't know if they have parameters about condition. Check into this.

Word of caution: you can sometimes be unnecessarily infuenced by highlighted areas as you will find is the case in reused college texts.

A

Al Dyer

mb,

Thanks for the link, I am all for saving money!

Kevin, thanks for the caviat!

Top Bottom