From the "I'm glad I'm retired" Department (Oct 2019)

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
https://www.washingtonpost.com/tech...increasingly-decides-whether-you-deserve-job/

Designed by the recruiting-technology firm HireVue, the system uses candidates' computer or cellphone cameras to analyze their facial movements, word choice and speaking voice before ranking them against other applicants based on an automatically generated "employability" score. HireVue's "AI-driven assessments" have become so pervasive in some industries, including hospitality and finance, that universities make special efforts to train students on how to look and speak for best results. More than 100 employers now use the system, including Hilton, Unilever and Goldman Sachs, and more than a million job seekers have been analyzed.

But some AI researchers argue the system is digital snake oil -- an unfounded blend of superficial measurements and arbitrary number-crunching, unrooted in scientific fact. Analyzing a human being like this, they argue, could end up penalizing nonnative speakers, visibly nervous interviewees or anyone else who doesn't fit the model for look and speech. The system, they argue, will assume a critical role in helping decide a person's career. But they doubt it even knows what it's looking for: Just what does the perfect employee look and sound like, anyway?
I'll go for Snake Oil...

Clark_Stanley's_Snake_Oil_Liniment.png

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Just what does the perfect employee look and sound like, anyway?
It's the age-old question: Are you good at doing the job, or are you good at getting hired?
Probably two completely different tasks (unless the job IS selling yourself).

mattador78

Quite Involved in Discussions
I agree my wife has multiple awards and qualifications in her field but doesn't interview the greatest as she is quite apprehensive with new people due to childhood issues, however once she is in a role or position she is confident and in control she just doesn't like being judged initially

JoshuaFroud

Involved In Discussions
It will continue to do what much of the current interviewing and advancement processes do in general which is push psychopaths to the top. Those people who can moderate their emotion to give the correct response at the right time in the right way with the correct emotional response for the situation.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
It will continue to do what much of the current interviewing and advancement processes do in general which is push psychopaths to the top. Those people who can moderate their emotion to give the correct response at the right time in the right way with the correct emotional response for the situation.
Definitely, just look at some elected world leaders...

Marcelo

Inactive Registered Visitor
It's the age-old question: Are you good at doing the job, or are you good at getting hired?
Probably two completely different tasks (unless the job IS selling yourself).
Unfortunately, my impression nowadays is that all people has to know how to sell themselves, independently of the job (which I do not think is wrong per se, but it really is a problem to some people).

Top Bottom