SBS - The best value in QMS software

Fuel tank issue (FOD) hits Boeing’s 737 MAX - Feb 2020

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
I have read a few articles that opined that things started down hill when Boeing upper management moved to Chicago.
That's a nice coincidence (or is it?) - the University of Chicago school of economics brewed Friedman and Greenspan = totally free markets, economical efficiency above all, bottom line is king. Makes sense.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
I know it's impossible, but if the people that QC'd those airplanes had to sit in them during the test/acceptance flights like I had to these BS faults would disappear fast. As and aircraft QA/QC your watchfulness changes real fast when you have to strap the thing to your butt and do all the "validation" personally.
Heck put the BOD and top management in there, too, for test/acceptance flights. I like it.

optomist1

A Sea of Statistics
Boeing might be a tech powerhouse, but that's just a by product. It's not its primary goal to excel technologically. Its primary goal (like any contemporary mega corporate) is to generate profit, theoretically for shareholders, but vide the Agency Problem. That should explain at least points 1 & 3 of yours. In the current general economical atmosphere/trend this is nothing of wonder.
Yep Ronen...and a slight amplification....nothig worse than when one quotes a thrid party without proper attribution....the above quotes are from several recent Seattle Times articles...and btw the Seattle Times team, has done a good job reporting on this....and just received a George Polk award for the same...

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
nothig worse than when one quotes a thrid party without proper attribution....the above quotes are from several recent Seattle Times articles
Not sure who you're referring to. If you referred to me "quoting" anything, I assure you that what I wrote was purely my own original thoughts. I never read the Seattle Times (or heard of it for that matter). Sorry if I accidentally said something someone already said.

optomist1

A Sea of Statistics
Hi Ronen, the above comment was meant solely for my benefit as a reminder for me, no slight intended, many times espeically on great sites like this one, I get all amped up to share an opinion or insight and forget good web ettiquette ...thanks again...Cheers Optomist1

Especially with occurrences such as these:
What is amazing is looking at some of the other threads on the Cove for Boeing going back 10 years. I will be transparent, I won't fly on a Boeing plane if I have the choice. Since Covid I haven't traveled much, before that I have been around the world 8 times. I hardly see Airbus with these issues but they do use some of the same suppliers like GE - Pratt and Whitney.

Randy

Super Moderator
What is amazing is looking at some of the other threads on the Cove for Boeing going back 10 years. I will be transparent, I won't fly on a Boeing plane if I have the choice. Since Covid I haven't traveled much, before that I have been around the world 8 times. I hardly see Airbus with these issues but they do use some of the same suppliers like GE - Pratt and Whitney.
Don't know about 8 times around the world, but my business mileage is equal to about 80 times around the world on one airline alone, and the vast majority would be on Boeing aircraft, especially all of my foreign destination flights (commercial that is) and I'm not too concerned.

If it's true or close to the truth then there's got to be more going on here than meets the eye, and as an old cop and as an old aviation QA/QC guy for a "minor" aircraft company among other things, I tend to get suspicious over time about things and in this case like this my suspicions would lean towards shoddy workmanship and even more shoddy inspections, I could be wrong. Granted, I've never worked in manufacturing or on aircraft this size (my biggest would probably be a CH-47 or CH-54), but, there's just no accident in continual problems, a funky paint job or smiley face on a rivet now and then yeah, but not stuff like this. :2cents:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Jim Wynne NASA's competence in question again - Crack found in external fuel tank foam Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 6
Marc Ford recalling 123,000 vehicles - Straps that secure the fuel tank may break World News 6
H How does a gas turbine work on diesel fuel? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 12
Randy Is TS 16949 applicable for "Fuel" manufacturing or blending? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
L How can Magnetism Improve Fuel Economy Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 31
6 Fuel Testing Laboratory Test Equipment - Methods and Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
Marc Blocked Fuel Line Botched Military Satellite Orbit Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 0
T Uncertainty Measurement on Kinematic Viscosity of Fuel Oil General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
B NDT (Dye Penetrant Test) Requirement for Frame 5 Fuel Nozzle AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
Marc Enraged Customers fuel a disturbing trend Customer and Company Specific Requirements 9
B Inspection Tools for Flatness and Channel Depth of Bipolar Fuel Cell Plates Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
U New fuel injection system - Nissan Dual Injector System World News 1
bobdoering Fuel price cuts, economy crimp Honda World News 0
N Fuel Prices Linked to the Oil Market World News 5
N Fuel Prices Link To The Oil Market - The Oil Tree World News 4
K Transport of fuel primed fuel pump, rail lines/ hoses - Legal? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 5
Marc Micro direct methanol fuel cell system for IBM ThinkPad notebooks After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
S Environmental Management Program - Reducing electric and fuel use, waste management Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 25
S Anyone have a Chemical Laboratory Accredited to 17025? Raw materials used as fuel ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
N Mojonnier Model 1000 Documentation - Validation of my tank IQ-OQ-PQ US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
Ron Rompen Hydrogen Peroxide Decomposition - Using H2O2 as an Antibacterial in a Rinse Tank Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
R NADCAP AC7108 - Tank Ambient Room Temperature Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
S Batch Traceability for Bulk Materials which are mixed in the Storage Tank IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
Stijloor Vilnius Mayor A.Zuokas Fights Illegally Parked Cars with Tank Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 15
D Safety Rules on site for the Drivers of Lorries and Tank Containers Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 5
B Fabricated Dry Powder Storage Tank - Initial Cleaning Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 5
S Design Code of Construction for Chlorine Tank Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
S API Std 620 vs. API 650 standard? Which is the least restrictive in designing a tank? Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
K Establishing the Environmental Aspects and Impacts for a Septic Tank Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 5
A Hydro test for Process tank as per API 650 Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1
M Calibration of Bulk Tank with Scale - Operating capacity is 3400lbs General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 20
R Calibrating Leak Testers - Old fashioned water tank type tester General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
A Gauges on pressure tank - What is the best way to calibrate a psi gauge internally? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
P MedWatch Report from a hospital due to a quality issue US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
Marc Media Gallery Issue? Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 1
M "Issue & continuous improvement" columns in AIAG-VDA PFMEA form FMEA and Control Plans 4
R Do we need issue ECN (Engineering Change Notice) towards updated Material Specification? Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
R Problem solving activity - Three hours to fix the issue Manufacturing and Related Processes 15
I Reissuing documents due to missing version / issue numbers Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
F Struggling with a root cause analysis - Customer Returns - Escape issue Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 15
Ron Rompen 2D matrix issue - Parts (machined steel) returned from the customer Design and Development of Products and Processes 0
G PolyWorks Alignment Issue - How to align the part General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
M Accredited Calibration Sevice Provider using computerized system to issue calibration certificate Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
M Accredited Calibration Sevice Provider using computerized system to issue calibration certificate General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
A External Auditor issue with Internal Audits Internal Auditing 7
V Every good documentation practice observation is an data integrity issue US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 7
V What is the criteria to cite an good documentation practices observation as an data integrity related issue US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
A Domain of the component (EASA CM No.: CM-SWCEH-001 Issue 01 Revision 02) Point 9.3.3 (Usage domain aspects) EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 0
B How to reply NCR on ineffectiveness of corrective action during IATF external audit? This is repeated issue whereby some mistake was done. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
J Control of nonconforming product issue (AS91000) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7