SBS - The best value in QMS software

Full Time Internal Auditor - Where should I be looking for someone?

R

RedWings

Currently I'm a Quality Manager and have a staff that includes a full-time Internal Auditor. His duties include performing internal audits of our QMS and also some QA work on our orders prior to production. He is nearing retirement and I'm concerned about being able to fill his spot with a qualified person in the his current salary range ($45-50k). He has been with the company for over 15 years, has an extensive background in Quality, and is well versed in "our" business.

My question is where should I be looking for someone to fill his role when the time comes? I know our recruiter can go to the sites like Monster, Indeed, etc.. and post the job. But that may bring A LOT of people not qualified or over qualified demanding more money (as most likely they deserve).

I have a few professional contacts in mind that may know someone but I need backup ideas. Hiring from within is an option and something I'd prefer so I'll begin talking to some people to see if they are interested.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
Welcome to the Cove!

Depending on where you are, I think it is safe to feel concerned about replacing your current auditor for $45-50K. I recently left a job because I wasn't able to earn more than that. But in this job market your chances improve a lot.

Harry is right - you can run an ad here first. You can also contact your area ASQ chapter and the military transition center; my first audit work was for the safety department onboard ship. Be prepared though, military people generally expect more responsibility, authority and growth opportunity than many civilian employers are comfortable offering.

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
Currently I'm a Quality Manager and have a staff that includes a full-time Internal Auditor. His duties include performing internal audits of our QMS and also some QA work on our orders prior to production. He is nearing retirement and I'm concerned about being able to fill his spot with a qualified person in the his current salary range ($45-50k). He has been with the company for over 15 years, has an extensive background in Quality, and is well versed in "our" business.

My question is where should I be looking for someone to fill his role when the time comes? I know our recruiter can go to the sites like Monster, Indeed, etc.. and post the job. But that may bring A LOT of people not qualified or over qualified demanding more money (as most likely they deserve).

I have a few professional contacts in mind that may know someone but I need backup ideas. Hiring from within is an option and something I'd prefer so I'll begin talking to some people to see if they are interested.
Why not look at him after his retirement as an external resource consultant ... :)

R

RedWings

Why not look at him after his retirement as an external resource consultant ... :)
We have discussed the possibility of part time before retirement. The thing is he is already retired from one company, collecting soc security, and is doing this as a means to stay busy. I really think he is a year or so away of stopping for good.

We currently use a different 3rd party consultant for some auditing of areas so we arent auditing our own work. I have been fortunate to have this company willing to provide all these resources for the Quality team.

Q

QACen

Perhaps looking at your local chapter of quality assurance professionals. I'm not sure if you are part of one or have one at your location. Consider thinking if a a full time internal auditor is really needed. What is their frequency of internal auditing? Everyday?

You may get someone with a better knowledge base by scheduling them into the internal audits. A consultant costs more per hour, but if you cannot find the experience, personality or education you are looking for in your salary range, consider hiring a "consultant" on a long term basis; then you are paying for services rendered, only when utilized, which should still come into your budget, especially when you consider benefits that are exempted from a consultant position.

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource
Another option, hire someone on the younger side and train them into the position. This has the added benefit of getting getting what you want (eventually). If there is 1 year left before he retires, can you bring in a high school student on a part time basis for this year (if this is allowed in your area). Get him or her trained in your way of doing things.

I was lucky 25 years ago and was hired into a machine shop on a part time basis after school so when I graduated high school, I was already started.

R

RedWings

Another option, hire someone on the younger side and train them into the position. This has the added benefit of getting getting what you want (eventually). If there is 1 year left before he retires, can you bring in a high school student on a part time basis for this year (if this is allowed in your area). Get him or her trained in your way of doing things.

I was lucky 25 years ago and was hired into a machine shop on a part time basis after school so when I graduated high school, I was already started.
Someone straight out of high school would not work. I need someone with some sort of business background so they have some understanding of what the people being audited were talking about. They can be fluent in ISO standards all day, but if they don't understand the process they are auditing, I see no value in that audit.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Tagin Does ISO 9001:2015 require a full internal audit annually? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 21
R ISO 13485:2016 Registration - NC on full cycle of internal audits ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
H Do you have to perform an full internal prior to IATF 16949 audit? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 21
C Full QMS Audit and Internal Audit Question ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 16
O Is a full Internal Audit cycle every year required? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
Hershal Internal Audit - The full physical of the system General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
D Dedicated (full time) vs. non-dedicated QMS Internal Auditors General Auditing Discussions 14
S AS9100 Full System Internal Audit - Create our own checklist? Internal Auditing 20
S OEM full range calibrations vs Validation special test points Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
E Any sample of a full software life cycle IEC 62304 report ( any class )? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
D Accurately measuring Full Thread Length Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 11
Q Full or Partial FAI? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
F Grand Avenue Software, Q-Pulse or Qualio - which for a full eQMS? Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 1
V Process, component or full product re-qualification: leaded to unleaded solder Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 8
A When there is a 2 year lapse in production, is a full FAI required? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
K Implant Card - Full Manufacturer's Address - Space issues EU Medical Device Regulations 4
A ISO 9001 lead auditor as Full time career India Career and Occupation Discussions 2
Sidney Vianna ANSI acquires full ownership of ANAB - December 2018 ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 0
P AS9102 full FAl or a partial FAI after production inactivity period AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
L Is writing out the ISO9001:2015 standard full name a requirement ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 37
M Bringing blending in-house - Verification or full validation? (Disinfectants) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
F MDSAP vs "Full" FDA Requirements? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
J Malaysia - Full Labelling Local Language Translation Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
Marc How did you "get" a full-time job? (A 2017 discussion) Career and Occupation Discussions 11
J Use of Harmonised Standards (Full or Partial) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
O AS9100 AQMS AEA Qualification Audits 4 Full QMS AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
S OBL (Own Brand Labeling) - Full Quality to Production Quality EU Medical Device Regulations 5
S IEC 60601-2-27: What does "linear within ±20% of the full scale output" mean? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
S When to switch from a Partial AS9102 back to a Full AS9102 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
Y Is CFDA registration required if the full system is registered by our distributors? China Medical Device Regulations 2
V General Full Factorial - Optimal Design Six Sigma 2
K Half-Fractional vs. Full Factorial Central Composite Design Using Minitab Software 6
K Experiments Using Full Factorial Design Using Minitab Software 12
T Inspecting Full Thread Depth with a Plug Gage Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
E Full Quality Assurance Certificate EU Medical Device Regulations 5
Marc Naked-image full-body scanners to be taken out of U.S. airports Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 14
P Help Setting Up and Analyzing 3 Factor 2 Level Full Factorial Design for DOE Using Minitab Software 3
M ISO/TS 16949 Clause 8.1: Full of Repetitive Requirements? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
K What does Data Logger Accuracy = ? 0.25% of Full scale ? 1 Digit Mean? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
S Cool Minitab Document 'Sample' - Help with FULL Version location/access? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
D Conductivity Meter Specification - What Is Accuracy +/- 1% Full Scale + 1 digit General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 15
V Can I get Full PPAP approval when some components are at interim approval? APQP and PPAP 12
K Audit NC - No evidence of a full 5 Why Analysis for the Customer Complaint Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 8
R How to understand the "full scale peak-to-valley output" mentioned in IEC 60601-2-27 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
R What is the Full-form of API & FDF? Pharma Related Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 2
M Limited Calibrations - An instrument that will not pass a full calibration, OOT General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
Q Full Job Description and Responsibilities in ISO 9000? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
B Samples for Customer Evaluation prior to Full Release 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
P Measurement Error Requirements - 99% or 99.73% spread to represent the 'full' spread? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
R CNC OTS Software Validation Separate from full IQ/OQ/PQ for 21CFR Part 820 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 9