Functional vs Process Based Documentation

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
Mike S. said:
Rox,

Maybe I'm missing the obvious, but, considering the example I gave, what alternative(s) would they suggest?

In your situation, what are they suggesting vs. what you have proposed? Can you give an example?

Am I being dense again? :confused:

No, you're not being dense...don't worry. :D I didn't go into details because it just wasn't worth it. Suffice to say, the methodology that our parent company wishes for us to adopt is almost strictly process related. Which may work fine where they are...but here in Canada with a Union, well, we have different needs.

So, while I understand the political benefit to conforming, and we will, my suggestion is that we will do so slowly over the course of the next year. Every document in our system comes up for review every 365 days (unless it is put into modification during that time). When the review cycle is initiated, documents will be modified to keep both the parent company and our employees happy.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
RCBeyette said:
Suffice to say, the methodology that our parent company wishes for us to adopt is almost strictly process related.

So, does this mean you might have the same instructions for, as an example, how to "tap a heat" appearing in several different "process" documents?

Just curious is all.

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
Mike S. said:
So, does this mean you might have the same instructions for, as an example, how to "tap a heat" appearing in several different "process" documents?

Just curious is all.

Nope. When a process document gets to "tap a heat" there will be a reference to a document where the details on how to tap a heat will be found. One level is process related...one level is functional.

S

sheryljuco

Allan said:
Hi all,

Here in my company, I have revamped the whole system from a functional base to a process based system. It took some time but I did it in record time. (days and nights). I started with flowcharts defining how the process works in our system then transferred it to a document. We eventually got certified in January '04.

The flowchart helped me alot to define the process and as well as when I do my internal audits.

Wow! You did all that? Alone??? I think you're a genius....Welcome

Top Bottom