SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Furnace repaired - Do I need a new initial TUS?

J Allen

Involved In Discussions
We need to replace the retort cylinder in one of our pit furnaces. According to AMS 2750 a new initial TUS and SAT shall be performed after any of the following modifications or adjustments that could affect the thermal characteristics of the equipment.
I'm not a heat treat guy, but there is a very minor change in the diameter of the retort. It is now smaller in diameter by only 1".
I'm sure that a TUS will be required but do I need to perform a new initial TUS?
Thank you.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Randall Beck

Starting to get Involved
J - Yea this is a little bit gray as it does not clearly state retort changes shall require an initial TUS, but I think that a retort could be looked at as refractory thickness in a sense. In my opinion a NADCAP auditor would be looking for an initial TUS, and this as a Major furnace modification. It could be argued that if you were replacing with a replacement retort of same size and configuration and vendor as the original you could have the Quality Organization determine that an Initial TUS is not warranted. As Quality Manager and Pyrometry Planner here, I would however not attempt to put this repair/,modification in front of an auditor without reverting back to an Initial TUS. We replaced a hot zone in one of our Vacuum cells with the same configuration and very little variation overall, but I still reverted back to Initial status for it as I did not want to chance losing 24 month merit.

Moving the control T/C in some of our furnaces by 1/2" can make a big change in uniformity swing when tuning our furnaces. I would think that 1" change in retort could certainly effect your uniformity to some degree.

Keep in mind that if you do an initial TUS, you will revert back to normal frequency and that the new initial TUS does not count as one of the successive TUS's required in order to go back to reduced frequency.

Does anyone have a different opinion?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q AMS 2750 E or F Continuous Furnace TUS Data Collection AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
K Temperature Uniformity Survey (TUS) - Vacuum Furnace General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
H Performing a TUS on a Furnace used at One Temperature - AMS2750-E AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 27
H NADCAP Audit Nonconformances - Vacuum Furnace Load Sensors AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
S AMS 2750E Heat Treat Furnace System Accuracy Test SAT Report question AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
O CQI-9 V3 - Ammonia Residue Test in Furnace Atmosphere General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
L Determination of AMS 2750D Furnace Classifications AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
B AMS 2750 Furnace Instrument Calibration Operating Range AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
C Furnace Classes in relation to AMS 2750 to determine Calibration Interval Calibration Frequency (Interval) 2
E Nonconformity on managing documents for Electric Arc Furnace Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
G Gage R&R for an On-Line Device - Continuous Monitoring Dew Point Sensor in a Furnace Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
K Pyrometry Question - Furnace and Oven Instrument Calibration IAW AMS 2750 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
J Nadcap HT - Furnace Instrumentation Type - Control Zone definition AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
H Oxygen Purity Requirements - Oxygen to use in electrical arc furnace ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
O CQI-9 #1.9 - Heat Treatment - Management shall review the furnace monitoring systems IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
Crusader Self-Calibrating Furnace does not require calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 15
E The Correct Process Control Chart for Furnace Temperatures Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 12
M Thermocouple/Furnace Gage R&R - I have yet to find a useful method Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
D AMS 2750C - Guidance under AMS 2750C for when a furnace fails a uniformity survey? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 2
D Process Qualification - Heat Treatment Process Furnace - What is Thermal Mapping? Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
D AS9102 - Assembly FAI for Use As Is or Repaired Parts AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
shimonv Is UDI required on the Packaging of a Serviced/Repaired Medical Device? Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
SATHYABALARAMAN 8.7.1.4 Control of Reworked Product & 8.7.1.5 Control of Repaired Product IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
P IATF Definitions - Reworked product (8.7.1.4) vs Repaired product (8.7.1.5) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 45
MDD_QNA Several CE Marks on a Repaired Class IIa Medical Device EU Medical Device Regulations 9
S Can a faulty new equipment be repaired and sold as new? Other Medical Device Related Standards 13
H % of Repaired Parts within a System Benchmarking 2
D FAA 8130-3 Repaired Leather Dress Cover problem Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 2
M QA (Quality Assurance) Monthly Report for Repaired Pallets Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
I Switching Serial Numbers on Repaired Medical Devices Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
S How to define New Equipment? Device is Returned, Refurbished or Repaired Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
S Certificate of Conformance (C of C) for Repaired Part AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
H FAA Operator - Acceptance of EASA Form 1 for Repaired Parts EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 5
E Capability of Gage (Cg & Cgk) for New and Repaired Gages Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 10
J Identification and Serialization - New Parts? When a part is repaired? Replaced? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
I Difference between Repaired and Reworked QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 5
D What evidence to I need to supply as a remote location in relation to manufacturing sites? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
T Non API products need to comply to API Q1? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 3
G Need journal and reference of abnormal bar chart SPC Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
MSeibert47 Daily Quality Topics - Need Ideas Please! Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 15
W Do Reference materials for IATF need to be 17025? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
D Need some Help on 8D fault tree analysis Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 6
A Need to calculate tolerance Intervals with a set of non-normal data and 3-Parameter Weibull distribution Using Minitab Software 0
Melissa Risk Management Process, How far do I need to go? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 10
F Need Quality Manager advice. Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
T Do we need an SOP for ISO 9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
B Do CTQs need to be equipment specific? FMEA and Control Plans 8
K Contract Manufacturer Do they need a complaint procedure? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 8
K Screen printing ink and machine selection_ Need help Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
D Do employee training records need to be centralized? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10