Further Analysis of Departmental KPI (Key Performance Indicator)

Hi Team,

A friend of mine referred me to these forums because I seem to have hit a small snag in my Black Belt Project.

Before I break it down, the samples I am using are broken down into quarterly chunks, i.e. monthly shipment data for January-March would be sample 1, April-June sample 2 etc.

Here's the story:
I am working on a project that involves tracking around 13 different KPI from 5 different departments in my organization. After defining my project I went on to plot these KPI on a Xbar-Range chart, where I found the some of the KPI was in control and some weren't, fair enough. I need to try to find a way to get the process for the KPI in control that is not stable.
Moving forward with the KPI that is stable, I am kind of drawing a blank here. I was thinking of setting up a Capability Analysis, but there are no bounds set by the customer because these KPI are driven by the organization's processes as well as customer orders that are received in a month. Using the shipping department as an example, if orders come in they could ship 5,000 orders a month but if there are no orders then they can't ship anything; same for the manufacturing team who needs to build the product for shipping to ship out.

I guess my ask is, what should I do to start the "analyze" phase of this project? A capability analysis does not seem right.

Any and all help would be appreciated :bigwave:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Big Jim

Super Moderator
It may help if you share the KPI.

I would likely start with a trend analysis. Can you see how they have been trending over the last few months? When you see a variance, can you identify a likely cause?

Statistical Steven

Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
In my experience most KPIs are not normally distributed so control charting might be giving false signals. You can instead choose to redefine the KPI, though not desirable. I might recommend that the analysis phase might be premature as a better measurement should be defined that can be analyzed for improvement.

Hi Team,

A friend of mine referred me to these forums because I seem to have hit a small snag in my Black Belt Project.

Before I break it down, the samples I am using are broken down into quarterly chunks, i.e. monthly shipment data for January-March would be sample 1, April-June sample 2 etc.

Here's the story:
I am working on a project that involves tracking around 13 different KPI from 5 different departments in my organization. After defining my project I went on to plot these KPI on a Xbar-Range chart, where I found the some of the KPI was in control and some weren't, fair enough. I need to try to find a way to get the process for the KPI in control that is not stable.
Moving forward with the KPI that is stable, I am kind of drawing a blank here. I was thinking of setting up a Capability Analysis, but there are no bounds set by the customer because these KPI are driven by the organization's processes as well as customer orders that are received in a month. Using the shipping department as an example, if orders come in they could ship 5,000 orders a month but if there are no orders then they can't ship anything; same for the manufacturing team who needs to build the product for shipping to ship out.

I guess my ask is, what should I do to start the "analyze" phase of this project? A capability analysis does not seem right.

Any and all help would be appreciated :bigwave:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Software Class A - Lengthy further risk analysis IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 9
M Pharmaceuticals News UK – Further guidance note on the regulation of medicines, medical devices and clinical trials if there’s no Brexit deal Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Medical Device News MedTech Europe - European Parliament further clarifies Commission proposal on HTA for medical technologies EU Medical Device Regulations 0
Sidney Vianna Auditors and CB's further investigating certified QMS' with ethical breaches? Registrars and Notified Bodies 8
M Further Inspection Required Form Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
Claes Gefvenberg Publication of ISO 45001 - Occupational Health and Safety - Further delays? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 6
G Further steps in Medical Devices Regulations in EU - Comments? EU Medical Device Regulations 11
R Control of Documents - Drawing (soft copy) for further work by other Consultants Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
P Further Own Brand Label questions - Urgent ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
S What to do if no further control possible to reduce the OHS risk? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 16
F Customer Satisfaction Survey - Further actions needed for Customers Comments? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
M Two situations where it is appropriate to add further Hazard Audits to Internal Audit Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 8
A How to further job skills to be a QA Manager? Career and Occupation Discussions 6
S Advice on Further Education for Practitioner interested in Quality? Professional Certifications and Degrees 1
P AS 9102 requirement for parts that need further treatment such as Anodizing AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
S Are Pp and Ppk more useful than Cp and Cpk as a benchmark for further studies? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
Jim Wynne Further evidence that Microsoft is doomed: Ms. Dewey After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 29
Hershal Movies - Further discussions Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 3
S What to do after BE? Which type of studies will help me to shine further? Professional Certifications and Degrees 3
N Any recommended further reading for ISO/IEC 17025? ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
Casana Beyond CQE: Any suggestions to improve my knowledge further? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 25
M MDSAP and 13485:2016 gap analysis Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 1
M Gap analysis on ISO 14971:2019 with previous revision ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
M Risk Analysis Flow - Confusion between ISO 14971 and IEC 62304 IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 8
R ECG Risk Analysis Standards ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
T Root Cause Failure Analysis - Not following Customer packaging Specification Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 5
H ISO 13485:2016 Gap Analysis by NB ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
R Capability analysis - What is going on this chart? Manufacturing and Related Processes 15
adir88 Documenting Risk Control Option Analysis ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 8
MrTetris Should potential bugs be considered in software risk analysis? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
K Analysis variation among the lots during cpk calculation. Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
DuncanGibbons Best practice for identifying "items" of parts for DFMEA analysis AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
J Looking for a EU MDR Gap Analysis template EU Medical Device Regulations 4
B Has anyone done an IEC 60601-1 gap analysis to IEC 60335? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 4
M What is PESTLE Analysis and is it mandatory? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
I Root Cause Analysis as Training ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
0 Interesting Discussion Analysis of half normal distribution in minitab Using Minitab Software 11
M IATF 16949 (6.1.1 - Planning and Risk Analysis for a remote site) Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 5
D Risk Analysis & Technical File - What detail goes in the Risk Management Report ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
F Struggling with a root cause analysis - Customer Returns - Escape issue Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 15
M 10993-11 vs 2006 gap analysis Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
M How to complete structure Analysis and Function analysis sections' columns of AIAG-VDA DFMEA form FMEA and Control Plans 0
Nicole Desouza AS 9100 Rev D Gap Analysis AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
M An example of risk analysis of class I MD ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 36
R AS9100 REV D gap analysis matrix AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
F ISO 17025 8.6.2 Customer Feedback Analysis ISO 17025 related Discussions 5
M MDR Medical devices Gap analysis ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
L UDI Requirments Gap Analysis - EU MDR vs FDA CFR EU Medical Device Regulations 8
A Statistical Analysis - Check if these organisms at different concentrations affect the growth of wheat seedlings Using Minitab Software 4
H Graphical analysis of results - Confidence level bands nomenclature Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2