Further Analysis of Departmental KPI (Key Performance Indicator)

K

kschubert417

Hi Team,

A friend of mine referred me to these forums because I seem to have hit a small snag in my Black Belt Project.

Before I break it down, the samples I am using are broken down into quarterly chunks, i.e. monthly shipment data for January-March would be sample 1, April-June sample 2 etc.

Here's the story:
I am working on a project that involves tracking around 13 different KPI from 5 different departments in my organization. After defining my project I went on to plot these KPI on a Xbar-Range chart, where I found the some of the KPI was in control and some weren't, fair enough. I need to try to find a way to get the process for the KPI in control that is not stable.
Moving forward with the KPI that is stable, I am kind of drawing a blank here. I was thinking of setting up a Capability Analysis, but there are no bounds set by the customer because these KPI are driven by the organization's processes as well as customer orders that are received in a month. Using the shipping department as an example, if orders come in they could ship 5,000 orders a month but if there are no orders then they can't ship anything; same for the manufacturing team who needs to build the product for shipping to ship out.

I guess my ask is, what should I do to start the "analyze" phase of this project? A capability analysis does not seem right.

Any and all help would be appreciated :bigwave:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
It may help if you share the KPI.

I would likely start with a trend analysis. Can you see how they have been trending over the last few months? When you see a variance, can you identify a likely cause?

Statistical Steven

Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
In my experience most KPIs are not normally distributed so control charting might be giving false signals. You can instead choose to redefine the KPI, though not desirable. I might recommend that the analysis phase might be premature as a better measurement should be defined that can be analyzed for improvement.

Hi Team,

A friend of mine referred me to these forums because I seem to have hit a small snag in my Black Belt Project.

Before I break it down, the samples I am using are broken down into quarterly chunks, i.e. monthly shipment data for January-March would be sample 1, April-June sample 2 etc.

Here's the story:
I am working on a project that involves tracking around 13 different KPI from 5 different departments in my organization. After defining my project I went on to plot these KPI on a Xbar-Range chart, where I found the some of the KPI was in control and some weren't, fair enough. I need to try to find a way to get the process for the KPI in control that is not stable.
Moving forward with the KPI that is stable, I am kind of drawing a blank here. I was thinking of setting up a Capability Analysis, but there are no bounds set by the customer because these KPI are driven by the organization's processes as well as customer orders that are received in a month. Using the shipping department as an example, if orders come in they could ship 5,000 orders a month but if there are no orders then they can't ship anything; same for the manufacturing team who needs to build the product for shipping to ship out.

I guess my ask is, what should I do to start the "analyze" phase of this project? A capability analysis does not seem right.

Any and all help would be appreciated :bigwave:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Software Class A - Lengthy further risk analysis IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 9
N Sterilization Protocol Change in Validation Process and further impacts ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
M Pharmaceuticals News UK – Further guidance note on the regulation of medicines, medical devices and clinical trials if there’s no Brexit deal Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Medical Device News MedTech Europe - European Parliament further clarifies Commission proposal on HTA for medical technologies EU Medical Device Regulations 0
Sidney Vianna Auditors and CB's further investigating certified QMS' with ethical breaches? Registrars and Notified Bodies 8
M Further Inspection Required Form Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
Claes Gefvenberg Publication of ISO 45001 - Occupational Health and Safety - Further delays? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 6
G Further steps in Medical Devices Regulations in EU - Comments? EU Medical Device Regulations 11
R Control of Documents - Drawing (soft copy) for further work by other Consultants Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
P Further Own Brand Label questions - Urgent ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
S What to do if no further control possible to reduce the OHS risk? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 16
F Customer Satisfaction Survey - Further actions needed for Customers Comments? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
M Two situations where it is appropriate to add further Hazard Audits to Internal Audit Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 8
A How to further job skills to be a QA Manager? Career and Occupation Discussions 6
S Advice on Further Education for Practitioner interested in Quality? Professional Certifications and Degrees 1
P AS 9102 requirement for parts that need further treatment such as Anodizing AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
S Are Pp and Ppk more useful than Cp and Cpk as a benchmark for further studies? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
Jim Wynne Further evidence that Microsoft is doomed: Ms. Dewey After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 29
Hershal Movies - Further discussions Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 3
S What to do after BE? Which type of studies will help me to shine further? Professional Certifications and Degrees 3
N Any recommended further reading for ISO/IEC 17025? ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
Casana Beyond CQE: Any suggestions to improve my knowledge further? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 25
Ashland78 Need IATF 16949 ISO Gap Analysis Excel File Internal Auditing 3
O Quality Management System Implementation framework and Gap analysis checklist Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
S Consolidated Analysis Report for Moulding Process Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
B NADCAP Rejection Response to Root Cause Analysis and Corrective Action. Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1
T ANOVA analysis to find F test. Using Minitab Software 3
N Failure Analysis-Potting Gel and Sealants Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
D Need some Help on 8D fault tree analysis Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 6
B How to exclude empty rows in full factorial design analysis? Using Minitab Software 0
B GR&R Destructive Data Analysis Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 13
H Risk Analysis and Probability of Occurrence ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
B Risk analysis for defective measuring or measuring equipment out of calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
P Benefit risk analysis on pFMEA ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 9
Q Process map Evaluation and Analysis Method Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 5
I QMS monitoring, measurement, analysis and evaluation requirement - Template ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
S How to perform verification of the Statistical Analysis Software? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 7
J Starting a Weibull Analysis: Source on how to perform Weibull Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
V ISO 10360-5: 2020 Gap analysis and Action plan Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 1
Q IATF audit - Root Cause Analysis results IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
B Struggling with using the 5.6 version Ford Capacity Analysis Report APQP and PPAP 5
JoCam MDR Gap Analysis - Consultant fees EU Medical Device Regulations 10
silentmonkey Overall Benefit/Risk Analysis - Risk Management VS Clinical Evaluation ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
Awais Forklift Reliability Analysis Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
T Tactics for Root Cause Analysis Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 4
lanley liao How to correctly understand the bullet list d) of 6.3 Analysis of Data for API Spec Q1 Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 7
R The term "Benefit Risk Ratio" in EU MDR, do I need to present benefit risk analysis as a RATIO Risk Management Principles and Generic Guidelines 4
B Two excellent examples of process capability analysis from Quality Magazine Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
D Risk Analysis using Monte Carlo Simulation instead of Scoring and Heat Map Risk Management Principles and Generic Guidelines 2
A Attribute Analysis for colour matching scale Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5