Gage Measuring 15 Parts at a Time

Gage Measuring 15 Parts at a Time, so should we use Standard AIAG form with 10 Parts measurement to validate Gage?
Should we scale up our measurement samples to 15 pcs?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
I recommend performing an expanded R&R study, which would allow you to include nest to nest variation as an additional factor. I use nests to designate the 15 different measurement positions. This would separate the nest to nest variation from the part to part variation allowing you to see whether action should be taken to reduce nest to nest differences.

That is really helpful, Miner
Do you have a template to perform expanded study?
You got my point right as there are 15 nest to measure parts.

Ron Rompen

Trusted Information Resource
There are a couple of things about this gauge that concern me.....and I'm not really sure how to address them.

1) Should an R&R be performed on each nest? I don't think it is required, in the same way that you don't do an R&R study on each caliper in your shop - they are considered a 'family' of gauges.
2) Should parts be moved from nest to nest during the measurements? This will affect both repeatability and reproducability. However, I'm a little concerned that this movement of the parts from nest to nest may end up MASKING some issues. I would definitely defer to someone (like Miner) who has more extensive experience with something like this.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
There are a couple of things about this gauge that concern me.....and I'm not really sure how to address them.

1) Should an R&R be performed on each nest? I don't think it is required, in the same way that you don't do an R&R study on each caliper in your shop - they are considered a 'family' of gauges.
2) Should parts be moved from nest to nest during the measurements? This will affect both repeatability and reproducibility. However, I'm a little concerned that this movement of the parts from nest to nest may end up MASKING some issues. I would definitely defer to someone (like Miner) who has more extensive experience with something like this.
1) I would start with a random sample. If the effect is insignificant, leave it at that. If significant, a separate study of all nests and analyzed by ANOM would be recommended. In my experience, the multiple nests of an ATE (Automated Test Equipment) are not built to the same exacting standards of calipers or micrometers.
2) There would be some movement of parts from nest to nest. If there is an issue, it will show up as a part x nest interaction.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
…and like any gauge there should be some level of ‘calibration’ for each nest. Just as every caliper is calibrated.

2) Should parts be moved from nest to nest during the measurements? This will affect both repeatability and reproducability. However, I'm a little concerned that this movement of the parts from nest to nest may end up MASKING some issues. I would definitely defer to someone (like Miner) who has more extensive experience with something like this.
Your points are valid, because just using standard MSA will not help me understand variations in play.
Any thought Miner

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
…and like any gauge there should be some level of ‘calibration’ for each nest. Just as every caliper is calibrated.
I could go on for a long time about what should be done on ATEs, but is usually not done. Calibration of all nests is just the beginning. Almost never are they calibrated as a "measurement system." They will usually isolate the measurement device from the system and calibrate the device in isolation, which is wrong.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q Gage R&R lite? This form only uses two operators measuring five parts one time Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
P Tool for Measuring - Do I have to do more than one Gage R&R for the PPAP? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
T Gage R&R Study- Measuring a flexible part (compressed part) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
P MSA on an in-line automatic X-ray thickness measuring gage Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
C Image Measuring System Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
M Pressure gage on a machine-monitoring tool or measuring tool? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
A Measuring Countersink Depth without the use of an expensive gage General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
Roberticus Gage R & R to different Specifications on Departmental Measuring Equipment Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 25
S Does a CMM (Coordinate Measuring Machine) require Gage R & R study? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
S GR&R (Gage R&R) on a CMM (Coordinate Measuring Machine) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 17
B Attribute GR&R (Gage R&R) using a CMM (Coordinate Measuring Machine)? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
B Flexible & OOR O.D. Measuring - "Richard's Gage" for measuring flexible items Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
R 3 Wire Thread Measuring System - Gage Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
A MSA and Gage R&R for Measuring Microscope Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
D Gage R&R for an Xray instrument for measuring plating thickness Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
Q Certifying Gage Blocks on an In-House CMM (Coordinate Measuring Machine) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 19
R Questions About CMM (Coordinate Measuring Machine) Gauge (Gage) R & R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 14
T Seeking Spreadsheet for CMM (Coordinate Measuring Machine) Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
S Operating Range - Definition for Gage R&R Study - Micrometers measuring thickness Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 15
R Gage R&R for measuring tape for some wire length inspection Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
D Measuring ID's: Which is the most accurate? CMM / Sunnen Gage / Plug Gage? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
D What is the best gage equipment to measure an ID bore? Coordinate Measuring Machine? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
T Gage R&R study - Ordinal data Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
Q Gage Pin Sets? Calibrate/Verify them all or just a sample size? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
S If 4 operate to measure, what is the value of k2?(MSA gage R&R) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
S Faro Arm, Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
8 MSA--Should I Use Parts or Gage Pins? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
C Gage Block Grade 1 - Calibration Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 15
Q Gage calibration in disarray ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
M Gage R&R automated test equipment Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
PQ Systems Recipe for Success! 10 Ingredients for a Healthy Gage Management System Using GAGEpack Software 0
D Gage Repeatability for Faro Arm Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
S Comparing measurement results for a part from two ring gage General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
M Quick Gage R&R Question Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
PQ Systems Best Practices In Gage Management Using GAGEpack Software 0
PQ Systems Gage R&R - 3 Part Series Using GAGEpack Software 0
I Excel based Gage R&R VS Minitab calculation Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
R Repeatability Type 1 Gage and Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
W Proper gage to use for receiving inspection General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
A GAGE R&R Binomial with master list (for method validation) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
Q Gage calibration / tracking software General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
A R chart from ANOVA gage R&R test Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
M Type 1 Gage r study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
T Plug Gage Calibration Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 1
L Gage R&R TMV Acceptance Criteria Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
S MSA for attribute relation gage Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
E Zero part to part variation - Gage R&R project Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 15
M Gage R&R and right way to measure Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 16
L Gage RandR on automated equipment. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
B Gage calibration frequency, ISO and IATF - What are the requirements Calibration Frequency (Interval) 3