Gage pin calibration - Actual calibration readings required on the calibration cert

M

mfr11

We are a brand new, start up company working towards AS9100 certification. I have a question concerning pin gage calibrations. I have 2 sets of pins that I am going to have calibrated by an acredited, outside lab. The question is: To satisfy the standard, do I need to have the actual calibration "readings" reported on the calibration cert? To do this, doubles the cost of calibration. Any help would be appreciated.

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Trusted Information Resource
Re: Gage pin calibration - Actual calibration readings required on the calibration ce

It may double the cost.....and truthfully the actual readings are important as that tells you what you REALLY have.....not what you may think you have.....more important is to get the uncertainty ALSO.....that tells you the error of the measurement.....your AS auditor is unlikely to understand it.....but you should.....

Every measurement has error.....uncertainty tells you the quantity of the error.....

For some things you may not need it.....but pin gages are very small typically and so any error may be critical.....

Hope this helps.....

M

mfr11

Re: Gage pin calibration - Actual calibration readings required on the calibration ce

Thanks Hershal. Very informative.

DietCokeofEvil

Trusted Information Resource

They are going to charge double for level 4 certifications instead of level 1? I think that is absolutely ridiculous. They have to take the readings to make sure the gages are in tolerance anyway- it doesn't take much extra time to make a certification- in fact, it can be incorporated into the calibration process- most machines have some type of RS-232 output which will easily transfer readings to some sort of document. Our readings transfer to the certification while we are taking them, which I thought was standard practice in most labs nowadays.

Am I wrong on this line of thinking?

Top Bottom