Gage R&R - Acceptance Criteria for Linearity, Bias, and Stability

D

dewie

Can somebody help? I'm so wondered the acceptance criteria for Linearity, Bias and Stability. For Gage R&R it is clearly stated that %R&R<30 is unacceptable.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jerry Eldred

Forum Moderator
Super Moderator
I could nothing other than refer to the QS9000 MSA manual. This may be better addressed by QS9000 gurus. I'm not sure who the best to pass this on to would be.

------------------

D

dewie

I might miss some parts in the manual. I find nothing say about those criteria.
Can you please point me?

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
The book doesn't specify (maybe it does and I forget where...) because every situation is different - you have to use judgement. However, I would think that uncertainty (all these factors combined) should take no more than 10 to 15% of the spread.

The point is this: You measure a part at an inspection point. How accurate is your measurement result in reality? If you buy a measurement device, it will come with a stated measurement uncertainty - example: Accurate to +/- 0.001 inch. This is 'assumed' to be across the range of the instrument (it's bias will not exceed +/- 0.001 at any point on its range). Bias at any point is a source of error.

If you take all the biases (say you have 100 devisions on the instrument scale and you calibrate [check] it at 10 points), the measurements at those points are indicators of the instrument's linearity - plot them and you can see its linearity. If you have large biases but compensate for them, large bias may not be a problem at all. The key is to understand that the bias exists, to measure it and to compensate for it.

Stability is essentially the same. If every time you send a measurement device to calibration and it comes back without change you're in good shape. However let's say it starts coming back and needs adjustment. That is now a source of possible error for the uncertainty budget.

Stability is also a function of other possible factors such as temperature. If the local environment is not temperature stable and the measurement device is temperature sensitive - another possible source of error arises. This is where the control chart comes into play as the MSA book describes on page 41.

The bottom line is that the intent is to ensure you identify and compensate for possible measurement error(s). I have a plate and I measure the thickness. The upper 'tolerance' limit on the drawing is 1.21mm. I measure it and find it to be 1.20. The question is.... Is the part really in spec or is the 'slop' of the measurement system enough that it is possible that the 'true' value is 1.22 (above the spec). Say you know the bias at that point is +0.1 - what does that tell us about the measurement we are taking? we know right there that the device says 1.20 but with the bias at that point the measurement is really 1.20 (observed measurement) + 0.1 (bias at that point) = 1.21 (the spect limit). Add other possible error sources such as the instrument uncertainty, and you can see we could measure and find it in tolerance when it actually is out of tolerance when all the measurement uncertainty is considered.

Does this help or have I confused the issue?

[This message has been edited by Marc Smith (edited 01 February 2000).]

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V Acceptance Criteria Gage R&R - Simple vs Complex Techniques Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
P Gage R (no reproducibility) - Acceptance Criteria Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
M Acceptance Criteria for Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
Ajit Basrur Gage R&R - Acceptance Criteria Based on One Customer - URGENT Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
L Attribute Gage R&R: Acceptance criteria for CrossTab Method? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
K Gage R&R Acceptance Limits - General features on a component Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
T Gage R&R Yearly Frequency Acceptance - Attribute gages - ISO/TS 16949 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
B Gage calibration frequency, ISO and IATF - What are the requirements Calibration Frequency (Interval) 3
R Determining Uncertainty from Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
C Correct Calibration Method for Dial Depth Gage General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
C Gage Block Wringing General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
B Gage R&R with NDC=1 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 19
S Type 1 Gage R&R or something else? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 6
G Should I perform Gage R&R only at the beginning of a new project? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
V Thread Plug Gage Pitch GO Diameter out of spec AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 8
G Gage R&R - Where am I going wrong? Part of a FAIR submission (Aerospace) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
R Gage R&R Excel templates Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
K Gage R&R with more than 3 appraisers Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
Anerol C Gage R&R Template AIAG 4th Edition IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
T Attributes SPC study - Attributive control (Go gage) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
S Capability or Gage R&R Study for Leak Tester? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 15
N % Tolerance - Type 1 study on the gages, then a gage R&R (ANOVA) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
M Definitive answer on Type 1 vs Type 2 vs Type 3 Gage Study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
V Gage Management and Gage R&R Software General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
D Gage R&R Study on Load Cells - Large chemical blending tanks IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
B Minitab Type 1 Gage Study on True Position Question Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
S Gage R&R on alloy Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
8 Need Help - Runout - Function Gage Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
L Gage R&R studies for identical Devices - Need to confirm the requirement to perform them Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
G Stab Pin Size For Check Gage Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
E Functional Gage for TOP applied at RFS Design and Development of Products and Processes 5
F No reproducibility Error in Gage R&R? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
M Template for Attribute Gage R & R wanted Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
G Warning about Deltronic Gage Pins - The "Certification of Accuracy" document General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 13
A Gage type 1 study on CMM Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
Q Gage R&R for Instant Measurement Machine Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
M Gage R&R with large inter part variance - Torque Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
D Do we need normal data for gage r&r studies? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
D Do I need part variation while doing Destructive Variable Gage R&R MSA study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 19
S Gage R&R Standard Deviations Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
J Informational Gage R&R: Swapping operators Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
S Gage R & R for large amount of inspections IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
S Ring Gage Thermal Expansion General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
L Gage R&R for test precision or uncertainty prediction? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
S Minor diameter of threaded ring gage General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
A Does Torque Gage Need Validation? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
J Ignoring a Failed Gage R&R and upcoming external audit IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 22
R Scaling a Gage R&R - 2 holding fixtures each with 10 nests Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
B Gage R&R Acceptable (10-30%), deduct Total Variation from Tolerance Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
apestate Inexpensive Gage Blocks for small aerospace startup shop General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1