Gage R&R Across Multiple Sites in a Company

G

GM_Quality

Good afternoon all,

I'm working on a Gage R&R for a set of air gaging that my company and 2 of our suppliers recently purchased. Each company bought the exact same air gaging units and heads.

Each site then conducted their own Gage R&R study. The results were pretty fantastic, since the precision and accuracy of air gaging far exceeds our tolerance bands for the 2 features of interest. Each site passed their own "long" gage R&R (10 pieces measure three times by three operators) well under the required 30%.

Now I want to compare all 3 Gage R&R's together. My first thought was to take each operator's three measurements and average them together (starting with 30 measurements for each operator, this would yield 10 measurements). Repeating across each site would turn 90 data points into 30 averages. I could then run a new study with the 30 average for each of the three sites representing one "operator's" measurements, effectively yielding a new Gage R&R study.

The results weren't nearly as fantastic. One feature passed at 19%, but the other feature (same tolerance, but different gaging head and size) came in around 44%. Looking at the Xbar and R charts, they have a much wider spread and overall measured parts several .0001" smaller than my company and the other supplier.

Is there another way to evaluate this multi-site data? Or is this approach my best bet?

Thank you for reading - I look forward to hearing everyone's feedback!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
Do you have access to Minitab? If so, there is an option to do an Expanded Gage Study. You can take your existing data (provided the same 10 parts were used in all 3 studies) and add Location as an additional factor. This will add Location to Location variation as an additional element within the R&R results.

If you do not have Minitab, this analysis is still relatively easy to perform using ANOVA. You will just have to calculate the percentages manually as well as recreating the graphs manually.

Do not average any of the results. This results in a loss of information and will artificially reduce the variation by the square root of 3. If you would attach your data, I would be happy to analyze it for you if you do not have Minitab.

G

GM_Quality

Miner, thank you for this reply, it was very helpful. I do have access to Minitab 16, and I was able to run an Expanded Study with Location as an additional variable. When analyzing the results, I realized the study assumed that my 3 inspectors were constant across all 3 locations. Unfortunately, this was not the case in our study - 9 different inspectors were used (3 at each location).

Is there a way to account for this in the study?

Thank you again :thanx:

G

GM_Quality

I think this is the key. If each site used different parts, then it will need to be redone with the same parts at each site to get what you want.
Howste, good point. The same 3 parts were used at all 3 locations.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
That would be ideal. If they are not, it could be analyzed as a nested study, but that is less than optimal.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
Miner, thank you for this reply, it was very helpful. I do have access to Minitab 16, and I was able to run an Expanded Study with Location as an additional variable. When analyzing the results, I realized the study assumed that my 3 inspectors were constant across all 3 locations. Unfortunately, this was not the case in our study - 9 different inspectors were used (3 at each location).

Is there a way to account for this in the study?

Thank you again :thanx:
This is a more complicated scenario. It means that the inspectors are nested within location. It can still be analyzed, but must be analyzed as an ANOVA or GLM. The canned R&R analyses cannot do this.

G

GM_Quality

Thank you both for the feedback. Do I need special software to include nested inspectors, or is this something that can be done within Minitab?

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
You can do it within Minitab using the General Linear Model (GLM), but you have to know what you are doing, and many of the metrics and graphs must be reconstructed the hard way.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P GR&R (Gage R&R) Across Multiple Configurable Test Systems Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
O Gage Block Wringing General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
B Gage R&R with NDC=1 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 19
S Type 1 Gage R&R or something else? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 6
G Should I perform Gage R&R only at the beginning of a new project? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
V Thread Plug Gage Pitch GO Diameter out of spec AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 8
G Gage R&R - Where am I going wrong? Part of a FAIR submission (Aerospace) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
R Gage R&R Excel templates Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
K Gage R&R with more than 3 appraisers Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
Anerol C Gage R&R Template AIAG 4th Edition IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
T Attributes SPC study - Attributive control (Go gage) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
S Capability or Gage R&R Study for Leak Tester? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 15
N % Tolerance - Type 1 study on the gages, then a gage R&R (ANOVA) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
M Definitive answer on Type 1 vs Type 2 vs Type 3 Gage Study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
V Gage Management and Gage R&R Software General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
D Gage R&R Study on Load Cells - Large chemical blending tanks IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
B Minitab Type 1 Gage Study on True Position Question Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
S Gage R&R on alloy Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
8 Need Help - Runout - Function Gage Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
L Gage R&R studies for identical Devices - Need to confirm the requirement to perform them Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
G Stab Pin Size For Check Gage Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
E Functional Gage for TOP applied at RFS Design and Development of Products and Processes 5
F No reproducibility Error in Gage R&R? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
M Template for Attribute Gage R & R wanted Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
G Warning about Deltronic Gage Pins - The "Certification of Accuracy" document General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 13
A Gage type 1 study on CMM Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
Q Gage R&R for Instant Measurement Machine Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
M Gage R&R with large inter part variance - Torque Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
D Do we need normal data for gage r&r studies? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
D Do I need part variation while doing Destructive Variable Gage R&R MSA study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 19
S Gage R&R Standard Deviations Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
J Informational Gage R&R: Swapping operators Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
S Gage R & R for large amount of inspections IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
S Ring Gage Thermal Expansion General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
L Gage R&R for test precision or uncertainty prediction? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
S Minor diameter of threaded ring gage General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
A Does Torque Gage Need Validation? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
J Ignoring a Failed Gage R&R and upcoming external audit IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 22
R Scaling a Gage R&R - 2 holding fixtures each with 10 nests Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
B Gage R&R Acceptable (10-30%), deduct Total Variation from Tolerance Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
apestate Inexpensive Gage Blocks for small aerospace startup shop General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
F Position tolerance check gage manufacturing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
B Informational Expanded Gage R&R Analysis using Minitab Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 18
S Interesting Discussion Threaded ring gage calibration and tendonitis in the elbows General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
A Federal 700B-26 Gage Block Comparator is not reading properly General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
O Gage Simulator for a Pilot at RFS Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
J Gage R&R without tolerance Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
B Variable Gage R&R - Two operators instead of three Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
Q How can you justify using a more accurate Pin Gage class? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 16
J OGP Smart Scope for Gage R & R Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2