Gage R&R Destructive Test With Breakaway Fixture To Simulate A Part

F

formerrocker

We perform a destructive test using a digital force gage to measure the strength of a container joint. The problem is this: the process is out of control to the point that sequential parts have a lot of variation. With a typical Gage R&R, one would take parts from one batch and assume that they are nearly identical. In our case, we know that the range of measurements is too large to assume this. In fact, I did a Gage R&R and the result was almost 200%! I made a breakaway fixture with latches that seems very repeatable (std. dev. of a little more than a pound with a mean of approximately 40 pounds). However, if I use multiple operators to take measurements using this breakaway fixture, and plug this into the traditional formula that assumes I am retesting the same part, I get a very large (over 30%) unacceptable R&R result. I believe on or more of my assumptions may be incorrect. If I can get a reasonable number, we can start our effort to improve the manufacturing process itself. I have no reason to believe that the force gauge or method is not repeatable. I've used two different gauges with similar results. Any ideas?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
Can you attach your data and analysis? We can help more with this information. You didn't say whether you were assessing to the tolerance or to the process variation and this makes a huge difference.

F

formerrocker

As requested, here are the numbers which are the test results of using the breakaway fixture, not real parts. 3 columns for operator number 1, 3 columns for operator 2, and 3 columns for operator 3. I'm primarily interested in determining the tolerance for the gauge. Thanks for your help!

Attachments

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
I have a few more questions:
1. Are the three operators actually testing 10 different latches?
2. If 10 different latches, does the variation in the breakaway force of the latches represent the variation in the actual process that they are meant to represent?

Your first post seems to imply that the variation in the latches is much less than the actual process. The measurement variation in this study is +/- 3.6 units. How does this compare to the actual process variation that you are seeing?

The reason that your %GRR is so high is that the variation in the latches is only +/- 1.4. The measurement error is so large that the gage cannot see the part to part variation in this study. If your actual process is this tight, you have problems. However, if your actual process is +/- 14, the gage is fine.

The variation between latches should reflect the actual process variation. Please remember that as you improve a process, a gage that was once acceptable, may become unacceptable as the process variation decreases.

F

formerrocker

The breakaway fixture has a number of latches that overcome spring loaded ball bearings. The fixture simply snaps together and a motorized test stand mounted force gauge breaks loose the latches. The fixture gets snapped back together and this is repeated for a total of 30 times for each operator. There are 3 operators, so I posted 90 measurements.

The actual manufacturing process is sometimes fairly stable, but has shown sample reading ranges of around 10 pounds to over 30 pounds at times. Examining the destroyed bonds, there is physical evidence to show that some bonds were indeed stronger than others when comparing items that measured 15 or 20 pounds apart in the samples exhibiting a large range.

We have identified some root causes underlying some of this range variation, and are in the process of making improvements. We would like to of course identify the measurement system's contribution. My gut feeling is that the measurement process is good enough for our purposes, but I need to be able to prove it.

Again, thank you for your time and expertise!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Destructive Tensile Test Sampling Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
E Destructive Pull Test Gage R&R advice needed Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
B GR&R (Gage R&R) for Destructive Test - Question on how to? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
optomist1 MSA Gage R&R - Destructive Test with One Sided Specification and One Operator Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
R MSA gage R&R (GR&R) for Destructive Test (Non-Replicable Data) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
T Gage R&R studies for Destructive Test Devices (pull and push tests) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
H Destructive Tensile Pull Test Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
G Destructive test, gage R&R with one sided tolerance Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
D Gage R&R - Destructive Test - Tensile Tester Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 19
B Gage R&R (Repeatability and Reproducibility) Destructive Test Method Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
D Gage R&R - Destructive Test - Pharmaceutical industry - Tablet hardness Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
R Gage R&R for a Destructive Test - Weld Breakout Test Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
O How to do Destructive Test Gage R&R - Rupture Test Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 28
D Do I need part variation while doing Destructive Variable Gage R&R MSA study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 19
S Destructive Gage RR - Using Crossed - want your thoughts Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 18
K How to perform Verification for a Gage that is used in Destructive Testing Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
A Destructive Attribute (Crossed) Gage R&R - Need Help! Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
O Destructive Attribute Gage R&R without LSL/USL Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
C Gage R&R Destructive UTS Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
N Destructive/Non-Repeatable Measurement Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
P Nested vs. Crossed Gage R&R Models for Destructive Tests Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
D Part Variation, Unilateral Tolerance, Destructive Testing - Gage R&R Experts pls help Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
R Destructive Attribute Gage Studies - inserted/pressed in parts Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
Y Destructive Gage R&R Spreadsheet - Old MSA formula (5.15s) vs New formula (6s) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
B Destructive Testing GR&R (Gage R&R) - Track tester - JMP Program Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
S How do I do Gage R&R in Destructive Testing? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
A Procedure on how to conduct a Destructive MSA (Gage R&R) for Force Gages Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
B We found a Gage R&R for Destructive Methods Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
B Destructive Gage R&R method for a glass factory study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
B Gage R&R Destructive Tests - Tensile tester to check for paper strength Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
Q Gage Pin Sets? Calibrate/Verify them all or just a sample size? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
S If 4 operate to measure, what is the value of k2?(MSA gage R&R) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
S Faro Arm, Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
8 MSA--Should I Use Parts or Gage Pins? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
C Gage Block Grade 1 - Calibration Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 15
R Gage Measuring 15 Parts at a Time Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
Q Gage calibration in disarray ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
M Gage R&R automated test equipment Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
PQ Systems Recipe for Success! 10 Ingredients for a Healthy Gage Management System Using GAGEpack Software 0
D Gage Repeatability for Faro Arm Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
S Comparing measurement results for a part from two ring gage General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
M Quick Gage R&R Question Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
PQ Systems Best Practices In Gage Management Using GAGEpack Software 0
PQ Systems Gage R&R - 3 Part Series Using GAGEpack Software 0
I Excel based Gage R&R VS Minitab calculation Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
R Repeatability Type 1 Gage and Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
W Proper gage to use for receiving inspection General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
A GAGE R&R Binomial with master list (for method validation) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
Q Gage calibration / tracking software General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
A R chart from ANOVA gage R&R test Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12