Gage R&R for Hardness Testers - Heat Treating Plant

D

dbzman

Were are a Heat Treating plant and we use a number of Hrdness Testers in the Plant.

Is it possible to perform GR&R on Hardness Testers?

Hardness Testers make indentations on the part that can not be repeated exactly.

The hardness can vary from spot to spot on the part (although not by much).

Thoughts?

Opinions?

Thanks!:bonk:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
N

noboxwine

Sure ya can

I audited a Heat Treat facility a few moons back and they did indeed conduct an R & R for a Versitron Rockwell C tester on hardened tool steel. They treated 10 peices of flat stock and conducted the usual 3 x 3 x 10 R & R. Nothing that I saw was unusual about it. It satisfied me an an auditor and most importatly proved to them whether or not the measurement system was sound. No reason why this is any different from other measurement techniques. Hope this helps

:D

howste

Thaumaturge
Super Moderator
I suppose that as long as you understand that material variation is also included in the equation, then it can be done. If your results show that the R&R of the system is acceptable with that variation included, then it certainly would be OK without.

BTW, most R&R studies have material variation included anyway. Example: a sample of wire being measured with a micrometer will have variations in both diameter and roundness along its length.

A

Al Dyer

Look at it as a benefit! If you have 10 heat treated samples each appraisor can measure on a slightly different part of the sample.

Also think that unless your going through 17025, the auditor might not even know what you are talking about.

The key is to identify, tag, keep lot numbers and the samples for future reference, this way if there is a problem you can identify it and prove your point.

Al...

Atul Khandekar

Quite Involved in Discussions
Two thoughts:

1. If the variation in hardness from spot to spot is not very significant, you could consider them to be homogeneous samples and use Nested ANOVA method which is recommended for non-replicable testing.

2. Is it possible to get a 'standard' or 'certified' block of known hardness? e.g. NIST's Standard Reference Material catalog. (http://www.nist.gov/srm). This is likely bo be an expensive proposition.

D

dbzman

Gage R&R for Hardness testers

Hello everyone!

Does anyone know if you can perform R&R studes on hardness testers?

If so, how is this done?

Thanks!

Mike W (Confused & abused)

:bonk:

N

noboxwine

Yep

You sure can. It's like any other non-destructive measuring device.

I always did a 3 X 3 X 10 R & R.

3 people measuring 10 parts 3 different times. Plug the numbers into the sheet and thats its. Here's a groovy ready-to-use Excel sheet attached. Let us know if you need anything else and have a day

:cool:

Attachments

D

dbzman

Question

Question.....

I was told that you could not do a R&R study on hardness testers because it is destructive and hard to repeat.

You can't test in the same spot as the other person.

Thanks for you help!

Mike W

N

noboxwine

yeah--you cant penetrate the diamond or ball in exactly the same spot every time..... just the same way you cant meaure a diameter with calipers in exactly the same spot every time.... there is some variation in every measuring technique, but no more in hardness testing than any other application. i have done it with certified calibration blocks, sheet metal parts, hardned tool steel, etc...and had successful studies every time. give me a report on it !:bigwave:

D

dbzman

GAGE R&R - Look what I got

We finished our study but the numbers are not what we expected.
We used 10 parts, two operators, and two trials.

We got an R&R of 85.58!

We then took a secound study, added it to the first, and got an average.

When we used this number we got an R&R of 82.55

What have we done that is wrong? We know that we have the proper hardness testers for the part. All of the readings were within specification.

Should I do this with ANOVA instead(because of the nature of the study)?

If so, is there a spread sheet that I could use for ANOVA available?

Thanks!

Mike W :bonk: :bonk:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D ISO 6508-2 and Hardness Gage Testers - Apostrophes where I expect a decimal point Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
P Micro Hardness Tester Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
K Gage R&R - Rockwell Scale - Hardness using Standard Test blocks Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
D Gage R&R - Destructive Test - Pharmaceutical industry - Tablet hardness Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
Geoff Cotton Vickers hardness testing - Gage R&R Study for Hardness m/c Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
R Determining Uncertainty from Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
C Correct Calibration Method for Dial Depth Gage General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
C Gage Block Wringing General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
B Gage R&R with NDC=1 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 19
S Type 1 Gage R&R or something else? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 6
G Should I perform Gage R&R only at the beginning of a new project? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
V Thread Plug Gage Pitch GO Diameter out of spec AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 8
G Gage R&R - Where am I going wrong? Part of a FAIR submission (Aerospace) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
R Gage R&R Excel templates Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
K Gage R&R with more than 3 appraisers Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
Anerol C Gage R&R Template AIAG 4th Edition IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
T Attributes SPC study - Attributive control (Go gage) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
S Capability or Gage R&R Study for Leak Tester? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 15
N % Tolerance - Type 1 study on the gages, then a gage R&R (ANOVA) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
M Definitive answer on Type 1 vs Type 2 vs Type 3 Gage Study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
V Gage Management and Gage R&R Software General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
D Gage R&R Study on Load Cells - Large chemical blending tanks IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
B Minitab Type 1 Gage Study on True Position Question Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
S Gage R&R on alloy Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
8 Need Help - Runout - Function Gage Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
L Gage R&R studies for identical Devices - Need to confirm the requirement to perform them Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
G Stab Pin Size For Check Gage Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
E Functional Gage for TOP applied at RFS Design and Development of Products and Processes 5
F No reproducibility Error in Gage R&R? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
M Template for Attribute Gage R & R wanted Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
G Warning about Deltronic Gage Pins - The "Certification of Accuracy" document General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 13
A Gage type 1 study on CMM Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
Q Gage R&R for Instant Measurement Machine Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
M Gage R&R with large inter part variance - Torque Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
D Do we need normal data for gage r&r studies? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
D Do I need part variation while doing Destructive Variable Gage R&R MSA study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 19
S Gage R&R Standard Deviations Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
J Informational Gage R&R: Swapping operators Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
S Gage R & R for large amount of inspections IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
S Ring Gage Thermal Expansion General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
L Gage R&R for test precision or uncertainty prediction? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
S Minor diameter of threaded ring gage General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
A Does Torque Gage Need Validation? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
J Ignoring a Failed Gage R&R and upcoming external audit IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 22
R Scaling a Gage R&R - 2 holding fixtures each with 10 nests Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
B Gage R&R Acceptable (10-30%), deduct Total Variation from Tolerance Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
apestate Inexpensive Gage Blocks for small aerospace startup shop General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
F Position tolerance check gage manufacturing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
B Informational Expanded Gage R&R Analysis using Minitab Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 18
S Interesting Discussion Threaded ring gage calibration and tendonitis in the elbows General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8