Gage R&R for Instant Measurement Machine

Hello,

I'm beginner to G R&R and working upon collecting the data for an Instant Measurement Machine. This machine captures 2D image for the part and measures the all type of linear values which is done using a optical comparator and hand tools. It also calculate GD&T values as well.

My main target is for evaluating the true position as it isn't being repeatable from time to time.

Would the attached template help me for performing Gage R&R for inspection machines. In this scenario, even though I evaluate the machine with two operators would the attached template be ideal.

Kindly advise!

Attachments

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

optomist1

A Sea of Statistics
Trusted Information Resource
Please clarify, pics/specs etc always make the process easier...." Instant Measurement Machine... machine captures 2D image", help me out here please clarify....optomist1

UncleFester

Involved In Discussions
Are you trying to use an attribute study but using variable data? I'm not sure what you're trying to determine. If you're trying to determine reproducibility of a figure for true position, then you'll need to perform a full GR&R. If you're trying to determine pass/fail, then an attribute study will work fine, but first you would need to determine what constitutes a pass or a fail. I think that the table you propose is not adequate for the type of study you need to perform.

Thanks for sharing the hyperlink to the discussion.

I have performed a variable study and see attached image for results. However, I'm not sure what should I consider for the tolerance because on the blue print they had mentioned as j|n.004m|A|B|C|

I had considered the tolerance as .004 and see attached image for results. Do suggest if I need to change the tolerance ad it's maximum material condition as well.

Thank you!

Attachments

Welshwizard

Involved In Discussions
Hello,

It would appear that you can measure variable data with this machine and the output is in the form of 2D Coordinates.

You are interested in true position which, as i'm sure you are aware is a computation based upon the variability of two inputs, the square root of the X and Y variables.

My advice would be to initially narrow down the characteristics of interest, otherwise you may be conducting lots of studies which will take a lot of your valuable time and the causes of any variability you see in your results may well be correlated.

Conduct consistency studies on the characteristics of interest by selecting one trained or familiar operator and repeatedly measuring the same part at least 20 or more times. Note down any factors such as a change of temperature during this process. Plot the results in time series order for each X and Y output on a Individual moving Range Charts.

If the Upper control limit on any of these charts breached you have an inconsistent measurement process which will require investigation and fixing after which the study should be repeated. You haven't mentioned the datuming process, this could also be a prime cause of excessive variation during these studies.

Once the process is consistent you can with confidence chart, in the same way, the true position and characterise the process for repeatability and any consumption of specification. If this is acceptable, then it will be worth performing a crossed Gauge R&R safe in the knowledge that its possible for the process to be consistent and adding operators should not in theory add knew unforseen issues.

Gauge R&R Studies can take a lot of time and planning, there is little point in this if the process does not behave and perform with one operator measuring one part multiple times. Debug in the simplest way and then if required add the multi level studies with confidence.

I hope this helps you.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Gage R&R - Where am I going wrong? Part of a FAIR submission (Aerospace) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
R Gage R&R Excel templates Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
K Gage R&R with more than 3 appraisers Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
Anerol C Gage R&R Template AIAG 4th Edition IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
T Attributes SPC study - Attributive control (Go gage) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
S Capability or Gage R&R Study for Leak Tester? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 15
N % Tolerance - Type 1 study on the gages, then a gage R&R (ANOVA) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
M Definitive answer on Type 1 vs Type 2 vs Type 3 Gage Study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
V Gage Management and Gage R&R Software General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
D Gage R&R Study on Load Cells - Large chemical blending tanks IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
B Minitab Type 1 Gage Study on True Position Question Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
S Gage R&R on alloy Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
8 Need Help - Runout - Function Gage Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
L Gage R&R studies for identical Devices - Need to confirm the requirement to perform them Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
G Stab Pin Size For Check Gage Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
E Functional Gage for TOP applied at RFS Design and Development of Products and Processes 5
F No reproducibility Error in Gage R&R? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
M Template for Attribute Gage R & R wanted Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
G Warning about Deltronic Gage Pins - The "Certification of Accuracy" document General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 13
A Gage type 1 study on CMM Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
M Gage R&R with large inter part variance - Torque Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
D Do we need normal data for gage r&r studies? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
D Do I need part variation while doing Destructive Variable Gage R&R MSA study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 19
S Gage R&R Standard Deviations Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
J Informational Gage R&R: Swapping operators Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
S Gage R & R for large amount of inspections IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
S Ring Gage Thermal Expansion General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
L Gage R&R for test precision or uncertainty prediction? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
S Minor diameter of threaded ring gage General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
A Does Torque Gage Need Validation? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
J Ignoring a Failed Gage R&R and upcoming external audit IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 22
R Scaling a Gage R&R - 2 holding fixtures each with 10 nests Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
B Gage R&R Acceptable (10-30%), deduct Total Variation from Tolerance Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
apestate Inexpensive Gage Blocks for small aerospace startup shop General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
F Position tolerance check gage manufacturing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
B Informational Expanded Gage R&R Analysis using Minitab Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 18
S Interesting Discussion Threaded ring gage calibration and tendonitis in the elbows General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
A Federal 700B-26 Gage Block Comparator is not reading properly General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
O Gage Simulator for a Pilot at RFS Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
J Gage R&R without tolerance Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
B Variable Gage R&R - Two operators instead of three Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
Q How can you justify using a more accurate Pin Gage class? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 16
J OGP Smart Scope for Gage R & R Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
F Leak Tester Gage R&R Sheet Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
A Does an attribute study (Go/NoGo pin gage) need two studies (1 for each pin) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
B Attribute Gage R&R study according to "Charbonneau" Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
O Capability or Gage R&R Study for Leak Tester Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 11
J Identification of gage blocks General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
P Gage R&R on Visual Inspection Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 15
G What's wrong with this Shaft OD Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6