Gage R&R for test precision or uncertainty prediction?

I work in a testing lab with daily tasks of receiving inspection of our incoming raw material. We were asked to perform a gage R&R study on some of our tests. Since we are not sampling randomly from a process and just doing incoming inspection, the variation between samples are not large. But I believe that I can still get useful information like P/T ratio out of the gage R&R.

However, I was told by my supervisor to only report a result of "gage r&r standard deviation / overall average". His assumption is that the test variation comes from repeatability and reproducibility which I believe is ok. He want to use the ratio of gage r&r standard deviation between overall average to predict the uncertainty of a test (in the form of a 95% confidence interval by times a factor on the number), which I am not comfortable with. From my experience on ASTM or ISO, there are special procedures to get a precision or repeatability of a test rather than using gage r&r. Also, gage r&r in my opinion is not for uncertainty. Usually, for a single test method, there are different grades or levels of products to be test (eg. a diameter measurement applies to 1 mm grade wire and 5 mm grade wire). My concern is that, although the number he want to report is simply a ratio, the gage r&r std ratio is only applicable to the tested grade rather than across the whole grade.

Could anyone comment on using gage r&r to predict precision or uncertainty of a test? Is that valid? Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

KenK

Registered
A gage R&R study alone would not take in all of the elements of uncertainty. You must at very least consider the uncertainty introduced by the calibration process (there is a tolerance to the calibration, so you never know the actual value of what you are measuring), and you likely did not include all of the factors that can influence a measurement during the gage R&R, for example, were temperature or humidity changes part of the study.

A gage R&R study alone would not take in all of the elements of uncertainty. You must at very least consider the uncertainty introduced by the calibration process (there is a tolerance to the calibration, so you never know the actual value of what you are measuring), and you likely did not include all of the factors that can influence a measurement during the gage R&R, for example, were temperature or humidity changes part of the study.
I appreciate your answer! Thanks for mentioning the point of uncertainty introduced by calibration. Seems that for some tests using a standard reference material, I can have a better idea with bias as well as uncertainty.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W Gage R&R where Device Under Test (DUT) is part of the Measurement System Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
S Test Laboratory and Gage R&R Requirements General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
T Destructive Tensile Test Sampling Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
R Pressure Test Dial Gage Selection Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
E Destructive Pull Test Gage R&R advice needed Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
Z My first Gage R&R - Paper/Poly/Foil Material Bond Test, need help Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 15
kedarg6500 Gage R&R for Attribute Data - Pump Noise Test Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
W Gage Block Interim Test Guidance General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
C Test Uncertainty Ratio (TUR) for Ring Gage Calibration Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 7
B GR&R (Gage R&R) for Destructive Test - Question on how to? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
optomist1 MSA Gage R&R - Destructive Test with One Sided Specification and One Operator Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
P GR&R (Gage R&R) Across Multiple Configurable Test Systems Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
T Simulated Use Cardiac Catheter Test Fixture Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
J Gage R&R - Sensor Tester with Multiple Operators and Multiple Sensor Test Channels Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
P Gage R&R with ATE (Automatic Test Equipment) - Newbie here... Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
R MSA gage R&R (GR&R) for Destructive Test (Non-Replicable Data) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
P Spread for Gage R&R - Product specific or whole test range of instrument? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
T Gage R&R studies for Destructive Test Devices (pull and push tests) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
S Attribute Gage R&R - Automated Test Equipment Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
R Attribute Gage R&R analysis - Automated test system Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
Q Calibration through Gage Blocks/Test Fixtures/Customer Supplied ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
L What kind of Gage R&R is needed for a Pull Test Machine? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
J Gage R&R on Attribute Data Using Minitab 14 - Data from Automated Test Systems Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
F Gage R&R Destructive Test With Breakaway Fixture To Simulate A Part Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
H GR&R (Gage R&R) on leak test equipment is there a deviation requirment? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
T Gage R&R - 1 Tester, 1 Test Stand, 17 Characteristics, 36 Locations - How to do GR&R? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
H Destructive Tensile Pull Test Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
K Gage R&R - Rockwell Scale - Hardness using Standard Test blocks Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
6 Gage R&R on automated test equipment - No reproducibility error? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
R Gauge (Gage) R&R for interferometer test used to measure scanners Z range in microns Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
I ATE (Automatic Test Equipment) "Gage" process for electronic modules? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
Y Is NDC needed for gage used for ATE? Automated Test Equipment IC Testing Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
G Destructive test, gage R&R with one sided tolerance Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
T Margin of Error and Gage R and R Question - Millage gages (test coating thickness) Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
A GR&R - Gage R&R for 1 test Stand, 10 locations, 10 parts Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
K MSA 3rd Attribute GR&R (Gage R&R), no operators - Air decay test systems Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
B Gage R&R for Automatic Test Systems - No operator influence on readings Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
H 7.6 investigation - Do most operations always record the gage# on all test reports? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 8
C Need 3 appraisers for GR&R (Gage R&R) of Automatic Test Measurements? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
D Gage R&R - Destructive Test - Tensile Tester Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 19
Y Attribute Gage R&R - MSA 3rd Edition - 'Hypothesis Test Analysis - Cross Tab Method' Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
B Gage R&R (Repeatability and Reproducibility) Destructive Test Method Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
D Gage R&R - Destructive Test - Pharmaceutical industry - Tablet hardness Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
A Gage R&R with ATE (Automatic Test Equipment) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 15
R Gage R&R for a Destructive Test - Weld Breakout Test Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
B Test Stand R&R - Normally accepted Gage R&R techniques on transmission test equipment Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
O How to do Destructive Test Gage R&R - Rupture Test Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 28
G Gage R&R - Where am I going wrong? Part of a FAIR submission (Aerospace) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
R Gage R&R Excel templates Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
K Gage R&R with more than 3 appraisers Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2