Gage R&R Sample Size - Sample Range for gage R&R - What is the requirement?

T

TheOtherMe

Subject: Re: MSA /Staples/Templeton/Johnson
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 09:50:44 -0600

Subject: RE: MSA /Staples/Templeton/Johnson

Patricia,

Regarding your message below,

> From: Patricia Staples
> Subject: Q: MSA /Staples
>
> Has anyone heard of a requirement within the MSA that the 10 pieces checked
> for R&R have to be within spec?
> My customer said that my R&R was incorrect because I was checking parts
> that were out of spec.
> I told him that I needed to know that my gage was repeatable throughout
> the spec and below the spec. Any comments?
>

The important range to test across is not spec, but rather the range of product variation the instrument will see. You will want to know the components of variability across all "pieces" you will be measuring with this device. If all you product is always in spec, then maybe spec range is meaningful, but only beacause this is the range of the product, not just because of the spec range itself.

However, having said that, it is possible that, for a particular device and product, that the variability could more (or less) outside the spec than within it. So, the R&R numbers could look better or worse, depending on this range. And, this could concern the customer.

I understand your position clearly. I do not really understand the customer's. Do they understand the funamentals behind MSA?

Kevin Johnson
Sony.com

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
W

wmarhel

One approach I like to take is that once a process has been proven out (man-machine-method), than any new people hired (or even as part of the interview process) can be tested to discern their ability. I have always kept a few parts as "golden samples" for this very purpose. New gages or methods can also be proven out this way.

It's important to make sure that the entire system can reproduce accurate, repeatable measurements so if a part happens to fall outside the specification then that is okay. The tool should have had the accuracy proven during the calibration process, but it's usually a lot easier to be accurate in a controlled environment versus measuring parts that have flashing, un-finished surfaces, etc.

In my opinion, the biggest focus should be on the repeatability of the individuals as a large difference identifies areas of opportunity for training. If its an accuracy issue with the tool than that can be rectified easier, although possibly at cost, through the repair of the tool or purchase of one that is more appropriate to the task. Even if the method is cumbersome and FUBAR, there should still be some consistency between the individuals.

G

Geese

As far as actual numbers for the sample size go, the MSA minimum number to be used is 15 to ensure confidence according to MSA 3rd edition, even though the forms and K values are made out for 10. We use 10 ourselves and have never had a problem.

Concerning parts out of spec, the customer might not know that its not the purpose of the GRR. The intention of the MSA GR&R is to show how good your measurement technique is conerning your gages and people. However, there is a value calculated called Rp (Average Part Range) that comes into the calculations. This value is based on the range "between parts", not appraisers. Also, the top of the form for the GR&R does specify the part spec or is supposed to (.113 to .115 for instance on a wire diameter). These spec values do not come into the calculations at all from what I've seen though. In the end, the customer is always right or so I've heard and I guess to someone who doesn't know the why, it would be a redlight if they saw a measurement of .116 on the above mentioned wire diameter.

Besides those 2 considerations, the last thing you need to make sure of is that your ndc is greater than or equal to 5, your %GRR is less than or equal to 10, and none of your Ranges on repeatability exceed the calculated UCL (10:1 rule helps here). These are the play it safe numbers. Some customers are less strict, but in my experience its best to meet the maximum standard in trying to cut down on confusion when dealing with different customer needs.

Caster

An Early Cover
Trusted Information Resource
Capability rears its ugly heade here

TheOtherMe said:
Subject: Re: MSA /Staples/Templeton/Johnson
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 09:50:44 -0600

> Has anyone heard of a requirement within the MSA that the 10 pieces checked for R&R have to be within spec?
> My customer said that my R&R was incorrect because I was checking parts
> that were out of spec.
> I told him that I needed to know that my gage was repeatable throughout
> the spec and below the spec. Any comments?

I understand your position clearly. I do not really understand the customer's. Do they understand the funamentals behind MSA?

Kevin Johnson
Sony.com
The customer may actually have a really deep MSA understanding.

MSA v3 page 74 says "select part for study that span the entire process operating range".

Process range compared to tolerance is capability.

If you tested parts out of spec...perhaps you are showing your process isn't capable?

Maybe that is what the customer was driving at?

Or more likely, they haven't a clue, and just got lucky.

G

Geese

Yeah,

I agree with you, but the intention of the GRR is the measurement abilities of the gages and people. Capability study deals more with the part itself falling into spec. I try to keep the 2 separate.

We carry many of the same parts and keep on file GRR's we update annually or semi-annually to cut down on time taken to complete one. Whereas the capability study needs to be done on the individual production runs.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Low Sample Size for Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
L Correct Sample Size for Attribute Gage R&R (Good / Bad parts) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
U Gage R&R Sample Size Considerations Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
C Gage R&R Study - Appropriate sample collection and size for a Gage R&R Study IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
C Sample Size of GR&R (Gage R&R) on Nested Anova Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
WEAVER Gage R&R Sample Selection - Can we include NG Samples? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
K Gage R on a 10 Piece Sample with a CMM using Minitab Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
M Sample Selection for a Gage R&R Study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
J GR&R (Gage R&R) Sample Setup for Attribute Inspection Gages Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
M Basic Gage R&R Sample Questions APQP and PPAP 22
I Gage R&R - Can GR&R be done on a representative sample from my tools fleet? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
K Alternatives to GR&R (Gage R&R) - Only 4 sample parts and one operator Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 22
C Gage R&R Sample Selection Methodologies - Capturing "normal process variation" Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
B For GR&R (Gage R&R), is multiple testing of the same sample necessary? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
G Gage R&R Procedures: Selecting parts (sample) to measure Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
L Creation of Sample Parts to perform Gage R&R - Go/NoGo to Check Threading Operation Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
B How to get a sample that covers Process Variation for GRR (Gage R&R) study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 13
A Sample preparation for Gage R&R study - Heterogeneous data or Homogeneous data Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
Ron Rompen Need help with MSA/Gage R&R - Seeking Minitab template file/sample GR&R study Using Minitab Software 7
Z MSA - Gage R&R Study Analysis - SAMPLE - Case Study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 20
arios Gage R&R analysis - Do I have to consider the sample specifications? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
I Gage R&R confidence limits - Bootstrap methods or MLS (modified large-sample) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
K Gage R&R with more than 3 appraisers Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
Anerol C Gage R&R Template AIAG 4th Edition IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
T Attributes SPC study - Attributive control (Go gage) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
S Capability or Gage R&R Study for Leak Tester? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 15
N % Tolerance - Type 1 study on the gages, then a gage R&R (ANOVA) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
M Definitive answer on Type 1 vs Type 2 vs Type 3 Gage Study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
V Gage Management and Gage R&R Software General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
D Gage R&R Study on Load Cells - Large chemical blending tanks IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
B Minitab Type 1 Gage Study on True Position Question Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
S Gage R&R on alloy Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
8 Need Help - Runout - Function Gage Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
L Gage R&R studies for identical Devices - Need to confirm the requirement to perform them Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
G Stab Pin Size For Check Gage Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
E Functional Gage for TOP applied at RFS Design and Development of Products and Processes 5
F No reproducibility Error in Gage R&R? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
M Template for Attribute Gage R & R wanted Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
G Warning about Deltronic Gage Pins - The "Certification of Accuracy" document General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 13
A Gage type 1 study on CMM Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
Q Gage R&R for Instant Measurement Machine Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
M Gage R&R with large inter part variance - Torque Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
D Do we need normal data for gage r&r studies? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
D Do I need part variation while doing Destructive Variable Gage R&R MSA study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 19
S Gage R&R Standard Deviations Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
J Informational Gage R&R: Swapping operators Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
S Gage R & R for large amount of inspections IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
S Ring Gage Thermal Expansion General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
L Gage R&R for test precision or uncertainty prediction? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
S Minor diameter of threaded ring gage General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1