Gage R&R Studies for Process Monitoring Instruments?

R
Sir,
Is R & R study required for process monitoring instruments or is it only for the product monitoring/measuring instruments only.

------------------
Sincerly,
Ravi kumar.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jerry Eldred

Forum Moderator
Super Moderator
I'll try to give you my layman's answer. I am not an MSA / R & R expert, rather I am a metrology engineer with 25 years experience (so take my attempt from that perspective).

R& R is needed for any measuring instrument whose readings/accuracy/stability you depend upon for product specs. I don't know what aspect of the production you are monitoring, but my guess is (based on your wording) that it may be needed. If you are monitoring a quantitative specified parameter or using readings from this monitor to determine whether you are in or out of control on your process, I would think, yes.

If you could elaborate a little more, that may be helpful. I understand if you don't want to put actual process details on the web (you could put fictitious representations of the process).

------------------

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Jerry is, as always, correct. However the key word in your question:

-> Is R & R study required for process monitoring
-> instruments or is it only for the product
-> monitoring/measuring instruments only

Is the word required. Do you mean required by QS-9000 or ISO 9001:2000?

In the world of Best Practices you would do an R&R on both inspection/test and process instruments, as Jerry points out. But, as Jerry also says, we need more info to go beyond these general statements.

A

Al Dyer

A gage is a gage is a gage,

If it monitors a process or product it needs to be evaluated. Just a good business practice.

ASD...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Gage R&R studies for identical Devices - Need to confirm the requirement to perform them Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
D Do we need normal data for gage r&r studies? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
A Does an attribute study (Go/NoGo pin gage) need two studies (1 for each pin) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
S Establishing a Gage R&R Studies Program in a Testing Laboratory Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
J How to select pieces for GR&R (Gage R&R) Studies? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
I Gage R&R Studies For Small Set of Data With Varied Known Value Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
B Gauge to Gauge (Gage) Studies Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 17
J Nested Gage R&R - Studies on Crimp Fastener Tools Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
J Gage R&R studies with 5 appraisers and K constants Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
S Gage R&R Studies - Part that has 10-20 critical dimensions Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
CalRich GR&R (Gage R&R) - How many studies? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 14
M Gage R&R Short Study vs. Long Study vs. Other Studies Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 25
S p-Value(s) for Anova (Crossed) GRR (Gage R&R) Studies Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
J Attribute Gage Studies - What gages are required to have Measurement Systems Analysis IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
K Complying with Ford customer requirement 4.35 Variable Gage Studies General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
R Destructive Attribute Gage Studies - inserted/pressed in parts Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
S Attribute GR&R (Gage R&R) Studies for Metal Stampers Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
T Gage R&R studies for Destructive Test Devices (pull and push tests) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
A Pin Gage - Gage R&R Studies - One Pin or Entire Set? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
P Long and Short (Variable Data) Gage Studies - Urgent Help needed Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
M Justification for not doing Gage R&R Studies Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
S Gage R&R Studies - 1200 operators, 2000 measurement tapes and many characteristics Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
C Gage R&R Studies Excel .xls spreadsheet Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 7
ScottK Gage R&R experts please review these studies Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
Antonio Vieira Gage R&R Studies for Attribute Data? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
R "Gauge (Gage) R&R Studies per MSA Manual" - Customer Audit Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 13
R Minitab Gage R Studies Using Minitab Software 2
J Gage R&R study requirements - What dimensions are you doing studies on? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
L Identifying Common Pitfalls in GR&R (Gage R&R) Studies - Measurement System Analysis Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 29
C Gage R&R studies studies through the full range of the gage? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
T Gage R&R studies for Spectrophotometer & Gloss Meters General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 32
T TS 16949 Requirements: Frequency of Gage R&R Studies Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
T Gage R&R studies used in uncertainty calculations Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 2
D Measurement System Analysis (MSA) - Requirement to also do gage stability studies? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
L Gage R&R Studies - Goodness of fit, linearity and linearity percentage Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
P What gage studies are required for PPAP? APQP and PPAP 5
R Guardbands - Using Gage Studies to define a guardband Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
L Gage R&R studies and control plan for PPAP - Critical or Significant characteristics? APQP and PPAP 16
K Gage R&R with more than 3 appraisers Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
Anerol C Gage R&R Template AIAG 4th Edition IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
T Attributes SPC study - Attributive control (Go gage) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
S Capability or Gage R&R Study for Leak Tester? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 15
N % Tolerance - Type 1 study on the gages, then a gage R&R (ANOVA) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
M Definitive answer on Type 1 vs Type 2 vs Type 3 Gage Study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
V Gage Management and Gage R&R Software General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
D Gage R&R Study on Load Cells - Large chemical blending tanks IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
B Minitab Type 1 Gage Study on True Position Question Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
S Gage R&R on alloy Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
8 Need Help - Runout - Function Gage Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
G Stab Pin Size For Check Gage Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3