Gage R&R - Tolerance vs. Total Variation - Process Variation vs. Gage Variation

J

Jrodrigu

I'm implementing Gage R&R and Measurement Process Evaluation at my facility and have a few questions.

I understand the rules of thumb regarding % R&R percentages i.e. <10% is good, 10-30% is ok but may need improvement, >30% measurement is inadequate. How does this equate to the new philosophy of Gage R&R Process control view where process variation is accounted for rather than tolerances. What does the process variation %R&R truly mean? What criteria or rules of thumb should be followed for the process %R&R? How does this correlate to traditional Gage R&R using the tolerances?

I believe the rules of thumb hold true for both. But how would you explain a % Tolerance R&R of 13.27% which is ok and a Process Variation R&R of 97.60 which is inadequate? Would improving the process variation lower the Process %R&R or is the variation inherent in the method and is not capable of improving it?

Any information is helpful including websites or literature.

:frust:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
W

wmchale

Gauge R&R

For those people starting on the road with GR&R studies rather
than spell it out, I would recommend the following reading material : ''Concepts for R&R Studies'' written by Larry B. Barrentine. Its available from ASQC, Quality Press and the book reference is ISBN0-87389-108-2.

In general the GR&R% tells you how much variability exists within your measuring system. The process Variation % should be as close to 100% as possible, this means very little variation is due to the actual measuring device.:)

J

Jrodrigu

From the literature that I'm reading and from other posts, they say that the % Process variation should also follow the same criteria of less than 30%. The difference is in how you want to use the measurement. If you want the measurement to distinguish between the good and the bad, then use the % Tolerance. If you want the measurement to measure changes in the process, then you use the % Process variation.:lick:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Gage R&R Acceptable (10-30%), deduct Total Variation from Tolerance Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
A %Total Variation & %Tolerance - Differences in Gage R&R Forms and Templates Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
0 Gage R&R Total Tolerance question - Use the full process tolerance? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
P Calculating Gage R&R with Part Tolerance instead of Total Variation Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
G Tolerance vs Total Variation in Gage R&R report - MSA 3rd edition pg. 116 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 14
B Gage R&R on plating thickness - What do I use as the total tolerance? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
N % Tolerance - Type 1 study on the gages, then a gage R&R (ANOVA) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
F Position tolerance check gage manufacturing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
J Gage R&R without tolerance Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
N Straightness Gage Tolerance General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
B Gage R&R MSA - Variation, Tolerance, Variance by different methods IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 23
J Gage R&R Study (Crossed) - How to determine Process Tolerance Using Minitab Software 4
P Strange Gage R&R results for a Caliper (Tolerance Method) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
C P/T % of a gage R&R to 0 MMC Tolerance study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
W Gage R&R for gage pins used to inspect a hole ID called a Statistical Tolerance Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
C Roundness Tester Gage R and R Frustration - Tolerance range of 20 microns Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 13
C Using a Pin Gage to check True Position of Inline Holes, Design, Tolerance. Etc Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
S Gage R&R - Percent of Tolerance or Percent of Variation? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
B Accepting/Rejecting Threads WITHIN Gage Tolerance General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
P Out of Tolerance Gage - Justification for not Recalling Product Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7
M Honest GR&R (Gage R&R) Tolerance Analysis Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
C Gage Resolution vs. Tolerance Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
B Addressing Lots that were measured with Out of Tolerance Gage Pins Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
D Gage R&R %Tolerance NDC Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
R % Gage R&R Based on Tolerance Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
C Gage R&R 10:1 Tolerance to Gage Discrimination Rule Explanation Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
Jerry Eldred Downgrading Tolerance on Gage Block Set General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
D Part Variation, Unilateral Tolerance, Destructive Testing - Gage R&R Experts pls help Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
N Gage R&R - Tolerance - APQP Forms Disk from the AIAG - Formulas IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
smryan Gage R&R Tolerance - Manufacturer's stated tolerance Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
Q Part Tolerance and Equipment Accuracy of thickness gage General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
I Gage Error vs. Dimensional Tolerance - Accuracy needed for measurement equipment Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 10
Q Tolerance Set Plugs to Calibrate Thread Ring Gage - Question General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
C Gage R&R @ 10% - Does that mean you should cut your tolerance Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
D Gage Out of Tolerance Procedure Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
B Calibration Accuracy vs. Gage/Part Tolerance General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
N Gage R&R - Using Tolerance method, or part to part variation? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
O Gage R&R when using Tolerance - Really bad Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 18
D One-Sided Tolerance Gage R&R Analysis Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
Y Gage R&R - Calculating by Specification Tolerance vs. Study Variation - Differences Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
R Setting Calibration Tolerance on Gauges - Oven Calibration and Stepped Plug Gage General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
M Gauge (Gage) R&R study - Samples required from full tolerance spread? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
G Destructive test, gage R&R with one sided tolerance Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
G How to complete gage R&R when you have only a single sided tolerance Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 14
D Best Gage R&R (GR&R - GRR) Method for Product Tolerance Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
U How do part tolerance and gage tolerance interact? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
R Gage Tolerance vs. Process Parameter Tolerance - Process qualification Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
S Gage pin clearance on close tolerance - Hole size is ?.8746 ? .0001 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
P Gage R&R - What does the % tolerance says about my Gage Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
R What does the P/t ratio (Precision/Tolerance) =RR/(USL-LSL) say about my gage study? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8