Gage R&R with CMM 1X1X10

• Thread starter Mary - QA Manager
  • Start date
M

Mary - QA Manager

My new assignment is to run a gage R&R on one part with one operator ten times (1X1x10) on CMM.
I found an excel sheet from this site not sure what all the figures mean.

That's for your help!

Mary

Attachments

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Englishman Abroad

Involved In Discussions
Mary,

If you do not understand the sheet, I suggest you look at Miner's blog on MSA.

Look in blogs on the Menu bar at the top of the page and search for Miner.

Johnson

Involved In Discussions
Dear Mary,

In fact, the calculation in the Excell sheet is not Gage R&R. It is another capability index of measuring equipment Cg=(Upper tolerance-Lower tolerance)/(5.15 *standard deviation). Cgk is another index. Here 5.15 can be defined differently based on the measuring equipment requirements. Both Cgk and Cg measure 1 part (or master sample) by one operator for a certain times, for example 10 times at your example.
For Gage R&R , it normally need 10 parts, 3 operators, each operators measuer 10 times.

I would suggest you should read AIAG's MSA manual, or VDA 5.

Johnson

M

Mary - QA Manager

Thanks for your reply. I went back to the customers requirements just to make sure I understand what it is they are looking for.
"CMM gage studies must be carried out on 1 part, inspected 10 times by I worker or inspector using the following calculation formula:
% of repetability=100%(maximum range/tolerance band)
I am not that well versed with excel to create such a sheet. I have asked my customer for a sheet but they do not have one.
Thanks!
Mary

Johnson

Involved In Discussions
For example, the part tolerance is 10+/-0.5 mm, then the tolerance band =10.5-9.5=1.0
If the 10 measurements are:
9.6 9.8 10 10.2 10.4 9.6 10.1 10.2 9.7 10.2,
the the maximum range is (max -min)= 10.2-9.6=0.6
% of repetability=100%(maximum range/tolerance band)=100%(0.6/1.0)=60%.

Then questions again:
1) What the requirements of the measuring equipment capability, is <10%, or <50%, <80%?
2) The customer must tell if the above interpretion is correct or not.

Johnson

Involved In Discussions
I tried the Excel sheet you attached.
The principle is correct, but the criteria is very high ! You should consider if it is suitable for your company.
I attached the example for your reference.

Attachments

Johnson

Involved In Discussions
Looks good ! If the customer agree with it, you can use it. I mentioned customer for several times, because you see the calculation and the factor could be different. Here the 6 is a factor, but some customer may chosen to use 4, or 5.15>

Part % R = (Standard Deviation x 6 / Part Tol. Range) x 100

JAltmann

Quite Involved in Discussions
Please take a look at the newest spreadsheet...
Thanks
Mary
That is the typical formula/study sometimes referred to as a P/T Ratio. The 6 sigma follows the change with MSA 3rd (or 4th?) edition. This is a good test not just for CMM's but also for reference before performing a full GR&R as if you can't pass this test then the GR&R will be worse and the time wasted.

Most strive for a value outcome of under 10% for this test to be considered passing, but this should be discussed internally and with your customer (SQE typically).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Gage type 1 study on CMM Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
F Comparison of 2 CMM machines using Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
K Gage R on a 10 Piece Sample with a CMM using Minitab Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
V Gage R&R for Variables Data on a CMM (Coordinate Measurement Machine) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
S Does a CMM (Coordinate Measuring Machine) require Gage R & R study? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
R MSA - GRR (Gage R&R) Requirement for CMM Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 21
S GR&R (Gage R&R) on a CMM (Coordinate Measuring Machine) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 17
B Attribute GR&R (Gage R&R) using a CMM (Coordinate Measuring Machine)? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
R Calibration of a portable FARO gage portable CMM # F04L2 gauge General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
A Gauging method comparison - Air Gage vs. CMM Measurement General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
Q Certifying Gage Blocks on an In-House CMM (Coordinate Measuring Machine) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 19
A Qualifying a CMM Star Probe - Brown/Sharpe CMM Model Gage 2000 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
R How to Determine CMM Gage R&R - Accuracy, Repeatability, Reproducibility? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
R Questions About CMM (Coordinate Measuring Machine) Gauge (Gage) R & R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 14
A Gage R&R - Repeatability and Reproducibility of a newly bought CMM machine Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
G Gage Calibration - Using a CMM and Gage Blocks for In-House Calibration ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
D Environmental standards for Gage and CMM laboratory General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
T Seeking Spreadsheet for CMM (Coordinate Measuring Machine) Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
A Gage R&R on a Manual CMM Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
T Gage R (Not Gage R&R) Formulas for CMM Layout Needed Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
C Is it OK to do a Gage R&R With A CMM? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
D Measuring ID's: Which is the most accurate? CMM / Sunnen Gage / Plug Gage? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
O Gage Block Wringing General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
B Gage R&R with NDC=1 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 19
S Type 1 Gage R&R or something else? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 6
G Should I perform Gage R&R only at the beginning of a new project? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
V Thread Plug Gage Pitch GO Diameter out of spec AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 8
G Gage R&R - Where am I going wrong? Part of a FAIR submission (Aerospace) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
R Gage R&R Excel templates Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
K Gage R&R with more than 3 appraisers Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
Anerol C Gage R&R Template AIAG 4th Edition IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
T Attributes SPC study - Attributive control (Go gage) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
S Capability or Gage R&R Study for Leak Tester? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 15
N % Tolerance - Type 1 study on the gages, then a gage R&R (ANOVA) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
M Definitive answer on Type 1 vs Type 2 vs Type 3 Gage Study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
V Gage Management and Gage R&R Software General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
D Gage R&R Study on Load Cells - Large chemical blending tanks IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
B Minitab Type 1 Gage Study on True Position Question Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
S Gage R&R on alloy Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
8 Need Help - Runout - Function Gage Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
L Gage R&R studies for identical Devices - Need to confirm the requirement to perform them Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
G Stab Pin Size For Check Gage Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
E Functional Gage for TOP applied at RFS Design and Development of Products and Processes 5
F No reproducibility Error in Gage R&R? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
M Template for Attribute Gage R & R wanted Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
G Warning about Deltronic Gage Pins - The "Certification of Accuracy" document General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 13
Q Gage R&R for Instant Measurement Machine Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
M Gage R&R with large inter part variance - Torque Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
D Do we need normal data for gage r&r studies? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
D Do I need part variation while doing Destructive Variable Gage R&R MSA study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 19