Gage Reproducibility & Repeatability for POKA-YOKE (pass/fail) gage?

A

ario80

Hello,

This is my first post. My customer asked for R&R study for all measuring devices utilized to verify his product. On of them is a poka-yoke gage. It is meant to verify if a detail is too high (low). As avery POKA-YOKE the result is OK/NOK. Is it possible to make a study for this? How should it be done?

Thank you for your help in advance!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
Re: MSA (R&R) for POKA-YOKE ?

Yes. you treat it like any other pass/fail inspection or gage. if you search this forum for "kappa" or attribute R&R you will find many helpful threads.

if you google "When Quality is a matter of taste" by David Futrell you will find a free copy of an articel that details the math.

I also posted a spreadsheet that will help: http://elsmar.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=34889

basically you must identify some units that are passing and some that are failing by using a different method such as a continuous data gage that has good repeatability. It's best to start usign parts that are marginal to the spec limit. USe the 'truth' as the 'first' reading, then the second reading is from your poke-yoke gage. This establishes the zone - if any - where the gage and the user has trouble. You can use this approach to qualify new operators and or replicate gages...

If there is a zone where the gage has trouble making the correct call you may consider selecting a second sample set that has teh same distribution of parts as your process and then performing 2 repeated measurements of each unit to establish the actual 'escape' rate and false rejection rate given your true process. OR you can guardband the gage to over reject in order to not allow any real failures thru...

A

ario80

Hello Bev D,

Thank you for your detailed reply. My poka-yoke checks one dimension it is 110 +/- 0.5 mm so one gage is 110.5 and too high components will not pass. In that case should I pick let's say 30 pcs, measure them. Include in that 30 pcs. 2-3 NOK parts and check if every operator finds these pieces using poka-yoke?

After that how to communicate this to the customer. Just by saying that test was done like above and all NOK parts were found ?

Cheers!

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource
Re: MSA (R&R) for POKA-YOKE ?

It's best to start using parts that are marginal to the spec limit.
This is true - and you should have these parts for your "rabbit" parts anyway for routine verification that the poka-yoke is still working. The worst thing that can happen is that you ignore it because it is checking 100% - only to find it did wear (and it will) and starts to let bad parts slip through.

J

JaxQC

When you write up you test results just call them PASS and FAIL. All operators should agree and catch all the FAIL parts. It’s not incorrect to see the word fail on an attribute gage study (provided it’s the correct ones failing). Short sample version below.

Also make sure to put the Red part/Rabbit part into the gage control system. "Calibration" would include 1) can mfg find it when it's time and 2) whatever makes it bad is still in place 3) if it does come up missing you have a record of what to make a replacement part to be the same as the original.

oper 123Part 1PASSPASSPASS2PASSPASSPASS3FAILFAILFAIL4PASSPASSPASS5PASSPASSPASS

C

coffee chang

Hi all,

I have a jig to measure inner dimension of a part which I will perform attribute GR&R. Let say if I don't have Not OK part at hand.
Since the dimension is small, can i use a caliper instead? Set it to value which out of specification and try to slot in the jig.

Thanks... :)

C

Citizen Kane

But, if you have a poka-yoke, you shouldn't be allowed to have NOK as a position. Either works on the good way, or it doesn't - no monitoring needed.

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
I have a jig to measure inner dimension of a part which I will perform attribute GR&R. Let say if I don't have Not OK part at hand.
Since the dimension is small, can i use a caliper instead? Set it to value which out of specification and try to slot in the jig.
This approach sounds risky. One of the functions of a GR&R is to assure that any part configuration issues, such as cocking, can be accounted for. A caliper may not adequately duplicate the part feature.

I suggest fabricating a not OK part, or at least simulating that particular feature and the associated locations of where the part will rest if it is too expensive to duplicate the whole part.

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
But, if you have a poka-yoke, you shouldn't be allowed to have NOK as a position. Either works on the good way, or it doesn't - no monitoring needed.
I may be misreading your statement, but the device is to ensure all parts are OK, and it must stop all bad parts, which makes it a go gage. You MUST ensure that it will stop bad parts - every time - and the correct test is to present bad parts to it repeatedly and make sure 100% do not pass. Then, you need to make sure 100% of the good parts do pass. That is the point of using an attribute gage R&R on a poka-yoke.

In addition the 'rabbit" parts are used on an ongoing basis to ensure wear over time, etc. still does not let a bad part pass.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S GRR (Gage Repeatability and Reproducibility) for Material Strength Tester Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
S Weight Scale Gage R&R (Gage Repeatability and Reproducibility) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
U Gauge repeatability and reproducibility (Gage R&R) worksheets Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
M Gage R&R (Reproducibility and Repeatability) using Minitab 14 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
U Gage R&R (Reproducibility and Repeatability) Understanding for the Layperson Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
M Gage repeatability and reproducibility - GRP% Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
R MSA Attribute gage repeatability and reproducibility IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
R How to Determine CMM Gage R&R - Accuracy, Repeatability, Reproducibility? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
A Gage R&R - Repeatability and Reproducibility of a newly bought CMM machine Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
D Gage R&R (Repeatability and Reproducibility) for Dummies Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 67
A Automated Testing Gage R&R (Repeatability and Reproducibility) Issues Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
Courier Gage R&R (Reproducibility and Repeatability) - Automotive Requirements Basics Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
M Gage R&R (Repeatability and Reproducibility) Study with one appraiser Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
B Gage R&R (Repeatability and Reproducibility) Destructive Test Method Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
R Gauge Repeatability and Reproducibility (Gage R&R) on all shop floor gages? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 15
F No reproducibility Error in Gage R&R? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
P Gage R (no reproducibility) - Acceptance Criteria Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
C Gage R&R not passing for Check Valves Crack Pressure - No Reproducibility Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
N Repeatabilty + Reproducibility (Gage R&R) Study - Inter-Laboratory Study (ILS) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
S Operator Training - Variation and reproducibility in testing and Gage R&R Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 10
6 Gage R&R on automated test equipment - No reproducibility error? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
R Is ANOVA Gage R&R the best method? Reproducibility issues (no inspector effect)? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 13
M Gage R&R (Ranges Method) - Reproducibility standard deviation Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
R Go - No Go (Attribute) Gage R&R (Repeatibility and Reproducibility) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 52
F Should I perform several Gage R&R for every caliper to cover all specs range of use? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
T Gage R&R study - Ordinal data Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
Q Gage Pin Sets? Calibrate/Verify them all or just a sample size? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 16
S If 4 operate to measure, what is the value of k2?(MSA gage R&R) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
S Faro Arm, Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
8 MSA--Should I Use Parts or Gage Pins? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
C Gage Block Grade 1 - Calibration Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 15
R Gage Measuring 15 Parts at a Time Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
Q Gage calibration in disarray ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
M Gage R&R automated test equipment Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
PQ Systems Recipe for Success! 10 Ingredients for a Healthy Gage Management System Using GAGEpack Software 0
D Gage Repeatability for Faro Arm Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
S Comparing measurement results for a part from two ring gage General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
M Quick Gage R&R Question Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
PQ Systems Best Practices In Gage Management Using GAGEpack Software 0
PQ Systems Gage R&R - 3 Part Series Using GAGEpack Software 0
I Excel based Gage R&R VS Minitab calculation Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
R Repeatability Type 1 Gage and Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
W Proper gage to use for receiving inspection General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
A GAGE R&R Binomial with master list (for method validation) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
Q Gage calibration / tracking software General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
A R chart from ANOVA gage R&R test Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
M Type 1 Gage r study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
T Plug Gage Calibration Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 1
L Gage R&R TMV Acceptance Criteria Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
S MSA for attribute relation gage Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3