Gamma Irradiation - dose audit and source replenishment

htcoztrk

Starting to get Involved
Hello all!

I'm a QA Manager in a medical device manufacturing company. We were doing EO sterilization for our products but now we have started to manufacture a device that not suitable for EO but required Gamma irridation. Neither I or company has no past with gamma as we are using EO for many years.
We completed validation process (dose setting, bioburdens, sterility and dose mapping) cooperated with a testing institue. Validation done according to Method 1 as recommended by lab chief. Now it's been 6 months since we perform the validation and we will start production. So we did perform bioburden tests on 10 products from one batch.
I read ISO 11137 however there are two issues that not clear to me. :bonk: I'll appreciate if you can help me if you have any experience or knowledge on these issues.

1) What does 'dose audit' mean? Is it enough if we test the avarage bioburden level on 10 units of product? Do we need to irridate the products in verification dose and perform sterility every 3 months or only if bioburden level is high? I saw that standard asks for 110 products for dose audit so do we really use all these number of product for dose audits?

2) We received a letter from our irridation sterilizer and they are replenishmenting the irridation source. IQ and OQ will be revalidated by sterilizer. However I wonder if replenishment of source is effecting our PQ validation? Is it enough if we perform only dose mapping or do we need to repeat all PQ process?

Thank you in advance for your helps. :thanks:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

chris1price

Trusted Information Resource
Hi, I'll try to answer your questions, however i recommend reading section 10.2 of 11137-2 very carefully.

The dose audit can be thought of as a verificaton that nothig has changed in the product or processes. For Method 1, you select 110 pieces. you perform bioburden on 10 pieces. If the results are ok, sterilise the remaining 100 at the verification dose and test for sterility. You are allowed up to 2 positive results. The standard explains what to do if you get positive results.

Yes this has to be done every quarter. Once you have good data, the period can be increased to 12 months - take a look at 11137-1 section 12.1.3.2

This is one of the major issues with Method 1, testing 110 pieces every quarter can get expensive and time consuming. a VDMax method only uses 20 pieces.

When they change the radiatoin source, you should only need to redo the dose mapping. I do not think there is any need to do PQ or other tests.

Chris

htcoztrk

Starting to get Involved
Thank you for your replyChris. I'll check again carefully your reffered clauses of standard.

Meanwhile I have another question that I think you may have an answer. We have two product sterilized by gamma. Since the materials are different we performed two validation. I already completed bioburden test for 10 units from a batch and determined the avarage level for both of them. However it's been 40 days since product 1 and 20 days since product 2 and I did not send out any goods for irridation&sterility testing because I was thinking bioburden is enough. But we released some batch of goods because average bioburden levels was appropriate. Do I need to initiate a recall?

isolytical

Involved In Discussions
In today's regulatory environment the concept of continuous validation replaces periodic validation. There is an FDA guide that explains the current thinking.

htcoztrk

Starting to get Involved
In today's regulatory environment the concept of continuous validation replaces periodic validation. There is an FDA guide that explains the current thinking.
Thank you for your reply. I look into few guaidance from FDA however I couldn't find any date about this concept. Do you have any link or document in your hand? I'll appreciate if you can share it with me.

chris1price

Trusted Information Resource
Whether or not you perform a recall is a decision for your company and the regulatory climate you operate in (US, EU, etc). I would perform a risk assessment looking at the validation, the sterilisation batch data and the bioburden and asses the risks involved; together with getting the products on test and looking at the results.

Hopefully, the issue is just that you are not following ISO11137 (a regulatory risk) and not that you have a risk of non-sterile product.

If you decide not to, you should document the decision and have a CAPA or deviation in place.

Chris

htcoztrk

Starting to get Involved
Whether or not you perform a recall is a decision for your company and the regulatory climate you operate in (US, EU, etc). I would perform a risk assessment looking at the validation, the sterilisation batch data and the bioburden and asses the risks involved; together with getting the products on test and looking at the results.

Hopefully, the issue is just that you are not following ISO11137 (a regulatory risk) and not that you have a risk of non-sterile product.

If you decide not to, you should document the decision and have a CAPA or deviation in place.

Chris
Thank for your suggestion Chris. Would you perform the sterilisation audit simultaneously to sterility testing on sterilisation batch? Also should I consider to get sample from each batch that have been irridated since today for sterility testing or sampling from a representative batch?

-Hatice

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
alonFAI Gamma Irradiation Process Validation Help Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
A Gamma Validation - What should a Third Party Irradiation/Gamma Company Supply EU Medical Device Regulations 2
L ETO vs. Gamma Irradiation Sterilization of DBM (Demineralized Bone Matrix) Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
M Eto Certificate of Sterilization (vs. gamma irradiation) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
N Looking for Gamma sterilization facility in China ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
E Gamma Sterilization Product Update Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
Q Use of parts in gamma sterilization validation - Reprocessing implants EU Medical Device Regulations 1
R ISO 11137 Gamma sterilization validation, dose setting, dose audit Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
D Gamma Sterilization of Coin Batteries (Primary Batteries) Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
N Can we do a Partial Gamma Validation on a Similar Product (Syringes) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
N Gamma Validation vs. Quarterly Dose Audit Differences ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
K Gamma Ray Sterilization Quarterly Dose Auditing Supplier Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
W Sterile Product or Not Sterile - The device has "Gamma Irradiated" printed on it 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
arios Moving from Ethylene Oxide to Gamma Sterilization - What is required? Other Medical Device Related Standards 10
K Sterilization for Hypodermic Needle - EtO or Gamma? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
M Does anyone have an electronic Gamma and Beta Table Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
D Sterilization Shelf Life Testing for a part that is gamma sterilized EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S Gamma Sterilization: Change in Bulk Density vs. Revalidation 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
M E-beam Sterilization to replace Gamma - Any information will be helpful Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
I Quarterly Gamma Dose Audit Question Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
M Radiation (Gamma or E-beam) Dose Audit SOP - Quarterly dose audits based on ISO 11137 Other Medical Device Related Standards 8
F Non-Normal Distribution vs. Gamma Distribution Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 18
E ISO 11137 gamma sterilized device dose audit - Lead time? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 7
R Change Control Required? Changes during the product gamma phase IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
B Weibull Model - Reliability Analysis - Alpha, Beta & gamma value formulas Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 3
M Gamma Sterility Validation - ISO 11137-2, 4.2 vs. FDA Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
Ajit Basrur Audit Checklist for Contract Gamma and ETO Sterilization needed ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
Q EtO vs. Gamma Sterilization - Stainless Steel and Titanium Orthopaedic Implants ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
S Gamma Sterilization Validation Documents - 13485:2003 section 7.5.1.2.1 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
F Irradiation Sterilization Validation Maximum Dose - VDmax 25 method (ISO 11137) EU Medical Device Regulations 2
P ISO 10993 - Sterile (Irradiation) Polypropylene Syringe Question Other Medical Device Related Standards 6
R Irradiation Sterilization Dose Setting and Dose Audit Flow Charts ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
I Quarterly to semiannual audit of irradiation sterilization Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
S Effects of Irradiation Sterilization on Medical Electronics - Li Coin Cell Batteries IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
Judy Abbott Increase the maximum allowable dose for E-beam sterilization Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
E Unit Dose Packaging Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 0
M Informational MHRA Guidance – Dental radiographic X-ray imaging: dose to patients Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Kuldeep Singh Calibration of Dose Area Product (DAP) Meter in our Class IIb X-Ray Medical Device General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
B Radiation Sterilization Dose Audit: Bioburden frequency Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
H Change of a medical device sterilization dose - New 510(k) necessary? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
K Bioburden 0 cfu for Dose Setting using the VDmax25 Other Medical Device Related Standards 9
M ISO 11137 - Verification dose audit for VD max method Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 7
alonFAI Quarterly Dose Audit Medical Device VDmax Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
C Dose Mapping - How to relate back to Routine Monitoring Position ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
P Quarterly Dose Verification for e-beam Sterilization Question ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
S Dose Consistency of Insulin Formulations ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
M Setting Solid Dose Drug Fill Count Ranges Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 8
A Help needed for Fighting a specifically identified Organism found during Dose Audit Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 2
E Auditing sterilization dose substantiated Vdmax 25 Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
G Dose Audit Requirements Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 7