Gantt Chart / Time Tracker in Excel - Combining Tasks on the Same Line

Good morning folks,

I have been asked to put together a time tracking tool to monitor activities in the QC Lab that I manage. My boss and I are in a bit of a debate as to whether I need more resources or if my folks are just inefficient. :rolleyes:

I started with a Gantt Chart template. I made a list of tasks and have been able to build the chart almost to my satisfaction using dynamic labeling and formatting so I can associate each task with the lot number the tech was working on.

Where I am stuck is getting tasks that are done multiple times a day to combine into just one line on the chart, but display the duration multiple times during the day.

If you take a look a the "1st Shift" tab and the task "Chip Archives - Excel" you can see what I am talking about. I would like to just have one line on the chart but show that task was done at both 6:05 am and 8:44 am.

This will keep the chart to a row limit of however many different tasks there are and not be 100's of rows tall if the QC Tech is doing 10 of those tasks 10 times during the day for different lots.

Is this something I can do in Excel or am I going to have to switch to MS Project?

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide!

Attachments

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
That is a brilliant approach! Conditional formatting cells based on the time rather than trying to chart. I love it and think I can adapt it to my purposes.

Thanks

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S New Electronics Manufacturing Setup - Checklist/Gantt chart Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
C New ERP System: Any Free Gantt Chart Software Recommendations Out There Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
S Business Continuity Disaster Recovery Gantt Chart Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 5
B ISO 28000 Implementation Gantt Chart Supply Chain Security Management Systems 5
T ISO 9001 to AS9100 Gantt Chart AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
A Gantt Chart or Excel Spreadsheet for ISO 9001 Implementation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
Z Laboratory Test Scheduling and Tracking Gantt chart Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 3
L ISO 14001 Certification Implementation Gantt Chart ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 1
D Excel Project Gantt Chart Template - Data dissapears at certain timeline Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 15
P Gantt Chart for ISO/TS 16949 Implementation IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
Q ISO 9001 Registration Preparation Gantt or Pert Chart or Timeline ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
M TS 16949 Implementation Gantt Chart wanted IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
D ISO 9001: 2000 Task List, Gantt Chart, or ???? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Z Putting back excluded rows/data points in a control chart Using Minitab Software 0
B Control chart and sample time Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
J Control chart for huge sample size Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
R Capability analysis - What is going on this chart? Manufacturing and Related Processes 15
S How MR (Moving Range) in Z-MR chart is calculated Using Minitab Software 5
M What is "setup control chart"? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
D Virtual Documentation via Master Flow Chart? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 4
A Redesigning our process flow chart, PFMEA and Control Plan Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 4
K Vigilance process flow chart EU Medical Device Regulations 1
D Control chart applicable? Percentage of compliance with a standard Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
G I-chart form for GM GP-12 Customer and Company Specific Requirements 2
D Link between FMEA, flow chart and control plan FMEA and Control Plans 10
B How to do a control chart - Machining product that requires flatness control Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
D China - Where I can get NMPA complete structure/organogram chart and GB/YY format list China Medical Device Regulations 1
K Turtle diagram or process interaction chart - Making it easier for an auditor Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 19
D Should "Waste" be included as Output in SIPOC Chart? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 8
S Assembly House Process Chart ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
K Why calculate LCL in P-chart? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
B GM GP-12 Pre-Launch - They asking for a I chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
bobdoering SPC Charting frequency calculator for X hi/lo chart Imported Legacy Blogs 0
K Operating characteristic (OC) curve S chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
K What is the Beta RISK for S chart OF XBAR-S chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
S Understanding control chart and measurement capability Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
F Appropriate Control Chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
S used excel formula calculated the ARL's with Rule1&Rule2 for Shewhart control chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
H How to define Root Cause when some points are out of control chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
L Formulas to be able to answer these Run Chart questions Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
L The ARL for an X bar Control Chart (n = 5) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
L P-Chart Control Limit Calculation help Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
L A Complete Control Chart Decision Tree Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
D Organization Chart Document Numbering ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
S Variation Study on Mined Material - What do you call it (not a control chart) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
G I-Chart and X bar Chart Control limits Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
G Chart with LSL and USL: What is it's name? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
N What is the interpretation I-MR-R chart in this question? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
Moncia What is a Cockpit Chart? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
L How to interpret the average R bar Value shown in the R Chart Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2