Gauge R&R & Calibration Intervals

Hello All,

In aim to reduce the workloads in our Metrology Lab, I'm introducing Gauge R&R and Calibration procedures to standardise an efficient method of working. However, one question I cannot find through our customer CSR's (Automotive) and IATF/ISO documents is how often these should be complete. Obviously, through design changes, re-PPAP, gauge/tool damage etc.. But if we have a contract for over ten years, is there any document to say how often I should re-gauge R&R or re-calibrate the associated equipment?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
Gage R&R's are only required one time, unless you make a change to the measurement system, such as changing the type of gage used, the method used, the skill level of the operators, etc. Calibration, however, does need to be repeated. The calibration interval is based on a large number of factors, including the risk of passing nonconforming product. Some of these factors include the usage, the environment, opportunity for damage, type of gage, etc.

Ron Rompen

Trusted Information Resource
To the best of my knowledge, there is no specified interval for either calibration or GR&R (at least not in TS-16949). With that being said, if you make your calibration interval more than 1 yr, be sure to have a valid reason for it - data to support your 'new' interval would be best.
As for GR&R, I have been told by MANY customers that it is 'required' annually, but none of them have been able to show me WHERE it says that it is required. If there is no change to the part or the gauge design, then I would suggest that a repeat GR&R is not necessary.

Perfect, the same outcome I have had.

For GR&R I currently have no interval but I've had feedback from two OEM's which are sure an interval has to be made but the frequency is up to us. Unless there CSR verifies this (which it doesn't), I will keep the frequency to changes to process, damage etc..

As for calibration, we have close to 1600 instruments that require calibration with very few failures. Using this data, I plan to delay the large solid gauge blocks to 3 year intervals from 1 year. Yet, variable devices such as DTI's will be increased from 1 year to 3 monthly which targets on area on concern we have.

UncleFester

Involved In Discussions
A couple of points to consider:
1. See the ~IATF FAQ no.6 relating to clause 7.1.5.1.1 - not every single gauge requires an MSA. Gauges having the same characteristics can be grouped together so that an MSA can be conducted on a sample gauge. This may save you some time.
2. Consider PPAP submission requirements. A customer may request a new PPAP submission if there are changes since the original submission in construction methods or materials; new or additional tools; refurbishment or rearrangement of tooling or equipment; transfer of location; change of subcontractor; tooling inactive for over 12 months; any change affecting customer requirements or a change in test or inspection method. The level of PPAP required may be chosen by the customer and could include a new MSA in any of the above.

A couple of points to consider:
1. See the ~IATF FAQ no.6 relating to clause 7.1.5.1.1 - not every single gauge requires an MSA. Gauges having the same characteristics can be grouped together so that an MSA can be conducted on a sample gauge. This may save you some time.
2. Consider PPAP submission requirements. A customer may request a new PPAP submission if there are changes since the original submission in construction methods or materials; new or additional tools; refurbishment or rearrangement of tooling or equipment; transfer of location; change of subcontractor; tooling inactive for over 12 months; any change affecting customer requirements or a change in test or inspection method. The level of PPAP required may be chosen by the customer and could include a new MSA in any of the above.
Thanks for the advice. We have grouped as many as we can get away with but due to the unique application, the majority need individual tests.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Consider PPAP submission requirements. A customer may request a new PPAP submission if there are changes since the original submission in construction methods or materials; new or additional tools; refurbishment or rearrangement of tooling or equipment; transfer of location; change of subcontractor; tooling inactive for over 12 months; any change affecting customer requirements or a change in test or inspection method. The level of PPAP required may be chosen by the customer and could include a new MSA in any of the above.
Regardless of the PPAP level, all elements must be completed unless explicitly waived by the customer. In the case of submissions after the initial one, there is no reason that the MSA should be done again unless something significant in the measurement system has changed (see Miner's post above). The fact that there have been no changes in the measurement system should mean that the MSA doesn't have to be repeated, but there are many benighted customers who will force you to do it anyway.

Quality Manager has our department doing Gage R&R and Gage attribute studies once per year (over 100 studies in a department of 5) stating it is a requirement in MSA, I am trying to find a way to refute his claims. I would appreciate any help.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Quality Manager has our department doing Gage R&R and Gage attribute studies once per year (over 100 studies in a department of 5) stating it is a requirement in MSA, I am trying to find a way to refute his claims. I would appreciate any help.
When you refer to "...a requirement in MSA..." are you referring to the AIAG MSA manual? Have you asked the QM to show you where it says that gage studies must be done annually?

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
I don't think the QM will be able to demonstrate that it is a requirement in the AIAG MSA manual unless there is a customer specific requirement (CSR). I have never seen that requirement in the manual.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D AS9100 Inspection records - Is there a requirement to have gauge ID and calibration status AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
G Comparing Gauge Blocks - Translating the calibration between the master set and the QA set General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
R Feeler Gauge Calibration - What tolerance is used for calibrating feeler gauges? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
A Calibration of Pressure Gauge, How to Determine Calibration Tolerance General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
S Pressure Gauge Calibration Uncertainty Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 5
J Thread Gauge Calibration Failure for Pitch Diameter being too large General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
N Verifying Calibration of Hardness Gauge vs Actually Calibrating It General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
B Can I use a Laboratory CMM for Gauge Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
L Calibration of Dial Thickness Gauge - What reference standard need I follow? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
A Label Printer for Gauge Calibration Purposes - Looking for Recommendations Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 6
R Calibration of a portable FARO gage portable CMM # F04L2 gauge General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
V Analog Pressure Gauge Calibration - smallest resolution practice General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
E Gauge Block Grade recommended use for in house calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
T Calibration of Gauge Pins Manufacturing and Related Processes 10
L Calibration of ring thread gauge with master gauge: How to calculate Uncertainty? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
S Claim caused by Gauge Out of Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
C Norm for Acceptance Calibration Results Torque Gauge and /or Dynamometers General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
B Difference between Calibration & Verification and How to calibrate Go/No Go gauge? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
S Ultrasonic Thickness Gauge / Step block - Calibration - help General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
H In-house Calibration - Verniers using gauge blocks General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
C Pin Gauge Calibration using a Micrometer - Accuracy & Calibration Level Question General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
S What is the best way to calibrate a Go NoGo Gauge Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
J Pressure Gauge Tolerances after Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
M Wrong Calibration / Verification Result - Height gauge IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
J Confused about Calibration Tolerances of Plug Gauge, Ring Gauge & Snap Gauge General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
N Calibration of micrometer by gauge block General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
L Gage Pin Gauge R&R - Our calibration guy said he doesn't know how to do one Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 21
W Pressure Gauge Calibration Procedure needed General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
P Thread plug gauge failed calibration - Must I remeasure everything measured with it? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 23
P Dial Gauge (gage) Calibration Software Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 2
J Standard used to determine if check fixture gauge is acceptable Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
J Designing new gauge tracking software IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
R Gauge R&R on pre-set torque wrench Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
C Aluminum galling on thread plug gauge Manufacturing and Related Processes 10
J Gauge R&R on a torque measurement Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
K I’m looking for a square probe for my linear height gauge Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
A Gauge Study for Small Lots Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
G Supplier Checking With Gauge Pin Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 2
H Analog Pressure Gauge with no EN837 accuracy class information General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
G Gauge R&R on multiple dimensions using 3D measurement system Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
H Thread Plug Gauge Tolerances General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
R Do Brands Matter When Purchasing Bore Gauge? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
D Using "Particle Size Standard" templates as gauges - How to avoid giving a gauge # while using for process control? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
Ron Rompen Source needed for Spline Form gauge (GO and NOGO members) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
S How to calculate the maximum allowable hysteresis of a pressure gauge General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
S Gauge R and R - Product - Conveyor belt with threads that goes on Sprocket Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
F Holes position inspection - Calculation of centre distance and plug sizes of a gauge Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
K Measurement Uncertainty Budget (MU) of for Ultrasonic Thickness gauge Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
R Radius Gauge R&R Study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
S Thread Ring Gauge verification General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6